The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I didn't know that the killers chased the guy for five minutes before they closed in for the kill.  That's not murder, that's a lynching.  Emmet Till had a better chance at survival.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fromtia

Well, relieved that Ahmed Auberys murderers are in fact murderers in the eyes of the law, despite the defenses best efforts to rely on some good old southern racism, that's a relief. I had read something recently about the Rittenhouse case, that essentially offered that no one with a legal background was surprised by the outcome and that liberal/progressive/leftish media had fundamentally mislead its audience in the reporting of the case.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2021, 02:23:22 PM
I didn't know that the killers chased the guy for five minutes before they closed in for the kill.  That's not murder, that's a lynching.  Emmet Till had a better chance at survival.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: fromtia on November 24, 2021, 02:30:10 PM
Well, relieved that Ahmed Auberys murderers are in fact murderers in the eyes of the law, despite the defenses best efforts to rely on some good old southern racism, that's a relief. I had read something recently about the Rittenhouse case, that essentially offered that no one with a legal background was surprised by the outcome and that liberal/progressive/leftish media had fundamentally mislead its audience in the reporting of the case.

I don't think it was shocking that Rittenhouse got off, more shocking that laws were set up that such a thing was legal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2021, 02:09:23 PM
at least Ahmaud Arbery's murders are going to jail.

Yeah, that's a huge relief in my case.  I was genuinely concerned that they'd get away with it and crush my last beliefs that the US justice system was any better than Italy's.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

I'm pleasantly surprised that an apparently racially profiled jury, choose instead to stick with a correct reading of the law.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Tucson cop shot a man in a wheelchair in the back 9 times because he was shoplifting and pulled a knife.  :rolleyes:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/01/us/arizona-wheelchair-officer-shooting/index.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 01, 2021, 10:59:07 PM
Tucson cop shot a man in a wheelchair in the back 9 times because he was shoplifting and pulled a knife.  :rolleyes:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/01/us/arizona-wheelchair-officer-shooting/index.html
In Sweden they would've shot him in the leg.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Him being white proves that police are not biased against blacks. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 01, 2021, 10:59:07 PM

The 9th shot is the one that fucking just makes you ill. Well, they all do, of course, but he unloads on the guy eight times....pauses....then shoots him one more time in a way that just looks really fucking deliberate. I understand how in the moment, you are not counting shots or anything, but that last one just looked like an execution.

Now, to be fair, the story isn't QUITE as simple as it sounds in that the guy in the scooter thing (it wasn't a wheelchair, and it was motorized, hence he was able to move himself around) pulled a knife and then started driving his scooter back into the store while the cop yelled at him not to do that over and over again. So there is, to some rather tenuous definition, a threat to other people there.

And it is kind of a weird spot for the cop to be in - how do you stop someone in a motorized scooter thing who is holding a knife? You can't really approach them without risking getting stabbed, and you don't want to let them get back into the store where who the fuck knows what the guys is going to do.

Shooting him eight times....then once more for good measure probably isn't the way to go though. The body cam from the women responding officer is freaking nuts. You can tell she was like "WTF DID YOU JUST DO!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

I get the impression that some cops in the US are in fact trained to shoot to kill. If you are, then every scenario where you fire your gun and the person survives is a failure. You have to make sure they're dead.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Not sure what kind of training you guys give your police officers down there, but if the only way to stop a dude on a handicap scooter with a knife is to shoot him 9 times... might want to review threat assessment and how to contain physical threats.

Habbaku

Quote from: Zoupa on December 02, 2021, 11:33:18 AM
Not sure what kind of training you guys give your police officers down there, but if the only way to stop a dude on a handicap scooter with a knife is to shoot him 9 times... might want to review threat assessment and how to contain physical threats.

Did you miss the part where the department that he worked for specifically said this goes against their training and code of conduct?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien