The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2021, 02:21:43 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 19, 2021, 02:17:16 PM
Sure, but what are they going to get from Rittenhouse from a civil suit? Is he loaded with something other than an AR-15?
Give him a year on the conservative grift circuit and it might be worth it.

Rittenhouse escaped a jail sentence, but he will likely be sentenced to 20 years of speaking at CPAC.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 19, 2021, 04:46:05 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2021, 02:21:43 PM
Sure, but what are they going to get from Rittenhouse from a civil suit? Is he loaded with something other than an AR-15?
Give him a year on the conservative grift circuit and it might be worth it.

Rittenhouse escaped a jail sentence, but he will likely be sentenced to 20 years of speaking at CPAC.

Free trip to Budapest!!!111
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

This is the way it will play out:

Rittenhouse will sue media companies and other parties for libel and slander, likely getting a fortune
The families of the people he shot will sue him for a fortune, and likely get some or all of that fortune

There will be various other sorts of litigation.

The true fortune will be gained by attorneys.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

You get weird situations when you have a society where it's legal for a 17 y/o to walk around town with a rifle during curfew.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 19, 2021, 04:37:42 PM
I'm a bit (but only a bit) torn on this one.  Kyle Rittenhouse should go to prison for being the kind of person who goes out of his way in order to get a chance to legally kill someone.  OTOH, the argument that he genuinely feared for his life is very strong.

I'm much more concerned over the verdict of the Ahmaud Arbery trial.  If those guys get off, then there should be no peace.  If it is legal to chase a man down, prevent him from fleeing, point a gun at him and then kill him "in self defense" because he tried to defend himself, there is no justice.

I think the problem might simply be that it is legal to openly carry an AR-15 on the streets of Kenosha Wisconsin.  It's a deliberately provocative move that drew the somewhat understandable and predictable reaction.

Or what Brain just said.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2021, 04:30:25 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 19, 2021, 04:04:11 PM
No, and I was expecting this response. He shot people who were protesting the shooting of a black man.

You know, until today I thought the victims here were black.  And at least a couple of news reports I've seen have also said they were black.

Saw a clip from MSNBC (who where thrown out of the trial yesterday for following the jury bus) where one of the guests was ranting on about how this was yet another example of white supremacy oppressing us.  I thought there should at least be a little sympathy for the victims who were not black.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2021, 04:49:30 PM
I think the problem might simply be that it is legal to openly carry an AR-15 on the streets of Kenosha Wisconsin.  It's a deliberately provocative move that drew the somewhat understandable and predictable reaction.

I don't think that the reaction of Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber were, in fact, "understandable and predictable" in the sense that they did what a reasonable person would do.  They wanted to punish him for being a vigilante, which, not ironically, meant that they made themselves into vigilantes.  The vigilante with a gun won over the ones without one, but that doesn't make Rosenbaum or Huber less than vigilantes.

Rittenhouse did a despicable thing, only slightly mitigated by the fact that he was a stupid teenager with delusions of grandeur.  Rosenblum and Huber (and Grosskreutz, to a lesser degree) did despicable things without the excuse that they were stupid teenagers.  Thinking that violence was the solution to social problems took all of the participants into the deadly encounter.

The judge, of course, should be retired immediately.  Without prejudice if he goes quietly, with extreme prejudice if he doesn't (yes, this is deliberately ironic, Zoupa).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I saw in a clip that the dude who pursued him, got shot, and survived, was packing.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2021, 11:23:48 PM
I saw in a clip that the dude who pursued him, got shot, and survived, was packing.

And?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2021, 11:23:48 PM

If he had shot Rittenhaus, then he'd be walking free today instead. Moral of the story is shoot first.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.