The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on November 19, 2021, 02:25:21 PM
I've only seen a New York Times video on YouTube about what happened. Law enforcement didn't exactly cover themselves in glory that night.
:huh: What are you talking about?  They didn't do anything.

Valmy

I think he was talking about the prosecution.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2021, 02:22:09 PM
I'm just a lay person, but I think there are only two ways to get around double jeopardy.  The first way is if you can prove that the first jeopardy wasn't really a jeopardy, but a sham trial (i.e. you bribed the jurors or the judge).  The second way is that some crimes can also expose you to a federal prosecution for civil rights violations; it kind of is a cheap trick to get around double jeopardy prohibition at times, but it's also necessary to protect against situations where juries serve as accessories after the fact and nullify the victims' rights.

In case anyone is curious, the Swedish system (simplified) is that both sides can always appeal a decision in the lowest court (tingsrätt). Then the case is heard in the next higher court (hovrätt). This is normally the "final" verdict, but if there is some important point of legal principle that needs to be clarified the case can be appealed to the supreme court (högsta domstolen). So in effect it's very common for high profile cases to go to the hovrätt. For instance Christer Pettersson who was accused of murdering PM Olof Palme was found guilty in the tingsrätt but not guilty in the hovrätt. For a few different reasons the quality of a hovrätt is higher than the average tingsrätt, the tingsrätt can be a bit hit-and-miss.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2021, 02:27:15 PM
I've only seen a New York Times video on YouTube about what happened. Law enforcement didn't exactly cover themselves in glory that night.

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on November 19, 2021, 02:36:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2021, 02:27:15 PM

^_^

:D

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2021, 01:54:26 PM
Yeah based on the law and evidence it was pretty clear he was not guilty. The law sure makes it easy to kill people and not commit a crime though.

The lesson here is if you plan to attend a demonstration in Wisconsin where others are carrying a gun, take a gun yourself and make sure to shoot first at anyone you perceive to be threatening*

*note: may not work if you are non-white or fail to draw the most defense-friendly judge in the county,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

You guys are so lucky that black people only want equality. Feels like the day is approaching where they might want to get even.

Habbaku

Quote from: Zoupa on November 19, 2021, 03:52:05 PM
You guys are so lucky that black people only want equality. Feels like the day is approaching where they might want to get even.

Do you think Rittenhouse shot Black people?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

No, and I was expecting this response. He shot people who were protesting the shooting of a black man.

Habbaku

Cool, can you tell us what else you are expecting so we can skip the usual inanities?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2021, 03:43:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2021, 01:54:26 PM
Yeah based on the law and evidence it was pretty clear he was not guilty. The law sure makes it easy to kill people and not commit a crime though.

The lesson here is if you plan to attend a demonstration in Wisconsin where others are carrying a gun, take a gun yourself and make sure to shoot first at anyone you perceive to be threatening*

*note: may not work if you are non-white or fail to draw the most defense-friendly judge in the county,

Pretty sure there was more evidence than just Rittenhouse "perceived" them to be threatening.  Rittnhouse at first attempted to avoid the first deceased, Rosenbaum, by running away, but Rosenbaum pursued.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Quote from: Habbaku on November 19, 2021, 04:05:32 PM
Cool, can you tell us what else you are expecting so we can skip the usual inanities?

Do you really have anything better to do anyways?

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 19, 2021, 04:04:11 PM
No, and I was expecting this response. He shot people who were protesting the shooting of a black man.

You know, until today I thought the victims here were black.  And at least a couple of news reports I've seen have also said they were black.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

I'm a bit (but only a bit) torn on this one.  Kyle Rittenhouse should go to prison for being the kind of person who goes out of his way in order to get a chance to legally kill someone.  OTOH, the argument that he genuinely feared for his life is very strong.

I'm much more concerned over the verdict of the Ahmaud Arbery trial.  If those guys get off, then there should be no peace.  If it is legal to chase a man down, prevent him from fleeing, point a gun at him and then kill him "in self defense" because he tried to defend himself, there is no justice.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!