The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2021, 11:10:44 AM
It's a debate that comes up from time to time.  Defence lawyers hate the word "victim", as it somehow assumes that a crime has been committed, when that's the purpose of the trial to determine.

Yes the issue here is the glaring double standard not the victim ruling in itself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Weren't most observers predicting this outcome?

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yeah based on the law and evidence it was pretty clear he was not guilty. The law sure makes it easy to kill people and not commit a crime though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2021, 01:52:01 PM
Weren't most observers predicting this outcome?

Yes. Anyone paying even vague attention to the trial could tell the state was doing an awful job.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

So I haven't been following the case directly, only from news reports.  And as a trial lawyer I know that's a terrible way to form an opinion about a case.

But the best commentary I've seen on the case from a few different sources was that Kyle Rittenhouse was a fool and an idiot for taking a rifle into that situation (and that right-wing attempts to make him a hero are disgusting) but that he was acting in self-defence.

What's most jarring for me is that Kyle Rittenhouse was a youth at the time.  In Canada there are laws prohibiting naming young offenders.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2021, 02:01:39 PM
Any chance of this going to appeals?

I don't think you can appeal a not guilty verdict can you?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2021, 02:11:04 PM

We have a constitutional right that prevents that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Fair enough. But civil suits could still be brought?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Sure, but what are they going to get from Rittenhouse from a civil suit? Is he loaded with something other than an AR-15?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on November 19, 2021, 02:17:16 PM
Sure, but what are they going to get from Rittenhouse from a civil suit? Is he loaded with something other than an AR-15?
Give him a year on the conservative grift circuit and it might be worth it.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I'm just a lay person, but I think there are only two ways to get around double jeopardy.  The first way is if you can prove that the first jeopardy wasn't really a jeopardy, but a sham trial (i.e. you bribed the jurors or the judge).  The second way is that some crimes can also expose you to a federal prosecution for civil rights violations; it kind of is a cheap trick to get around double jeopardy prohibition at times, but it's also necessary to protect against situations where juries serve as accessories after the fact and nullify the victims' rights.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2021, 02:11:04 PM

I think there's some limited room to appeal if there were legal errors in the trial (such that the trial was never fair to begin with), but not on the grounds that 'the jury reached the wrong decision'.

The Brain

I've only seen a New York Times video on YouTube about what happened. Law enforcement didn't exactly cover themselves in glory that night.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.