The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 18, 2021, 10:11:20 AM
If the PD is structured so that service on the riot units is voluntary - and my understanding that how it is set up in Portland - then they can withdraw from the units without losing their jobs. 

It's probably for the better as Portland shouldn't have riot police who believe its perfectly OK to beat defenseless people on the head with a baton.

It's kinda silly to allow police to refrain at will from law enforcement duties.  Given the reason that these cops are resigning (one of them was held accountable under the law for beating a defenseless person on the head with a baton) the voluntary system doesn't seem much of a guarantee that those actions won't happen.

The solution, it seems to me, is to require police to enforce the law within the law, whatever form of law enforcement is necessary, and keep them from beating innocent people by charging criminal cops with criminal charges, just like any other criminal.  Allowing cops to decline to enforce the law because they feel bad that they cannot commit criminal acts without consequences is madness.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

It sort of feels like it's getting to the point that I think I've read of in some Eastern European countries where they basically had to fire everyone and start from the beginning because corruption was so ingrained. Here obviously the issue isn't corruption.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 18, 2021, 01:15:29 PM
It sort of feels like it's getting to the point that I think I've read of in some Eastern European countries where they basically had to fire everyone and start from the beginning because corruption was so ingrained. Here obviously the issue isn't corruption.
In a way it is, it just involves power and privileges rather than money.  Corruption is merely misuse of power entrusted in you that you need to fulfill your duty for your own benefit.  The benefit doesn't have to be monetary.

Sheilbh

That's fair - and those cards that I think the NYPD were giving out for friends and family of cops is pure corruption. It's an absolute disgrace.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

In Germany, meanwhile, hardly a week passes where there isn't a leak of police chats that contain racist or other right wing messages and imagery.

Last week I read about a case of a police woman in Brandenburg. The vast majority of her circle of friends are members of the neo-nazi scene. At her wedding they took a group photo with Hitler salute. Her husband wore a swastika armband. She was fired. A court ordered her reinstated, as there was no proof that all of this affected her discharging of her duties neutrally. The police district that fired her decided not to appeal and has her on indefinite paid leave.

The SEK Frankfurt (SEK = Sondereinsatzkommando = SWAT) has been disbanded following the discovery of right wing chat messages. The TAZ (admittedly a left wing paper) has researched the police protecting the German parliament and have uncovered ex-members of the Reichsbürger movement (people who reject the Federal Republic as illegitimate state), who like extreme-right groups and posts on Facebook, share such messages in official internal chat groups or, in one case, show the Hitler salute in the break room.

30 soldiers of the German contingent in Lithuania have been ordered back following racist, antisemitic and other such messages and memes, and (filmed) sexual abuse of one comrade. And then we're not even talking about disappeared weapons and ammo etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 18, 2021, 01:22:55 PM
That's fair - and those cards that I think the NYPD were giving out for friends and family of cops is pure corruption. It's an absolute disgrace.

If I recall, that was the union (often a very small point of separation, I know) that doing up the cards, not the NYPD itself.

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2021, 01:29:36 PM
In Germany, meanwhile, hardly a week passes where there isn't a leak of police chats that contain racist or other right wing messages and imagery.

Finland had a case like that recently, when a constable was dismissed after his comments were uncovered where he fantasized about murdering (left-wing) government politicians.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2021, 01:12:04 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 18, 2021, 10:11:20 AM
If the PD is structured so that service on the riot units is voluntary - and my understanding that how it is set up in Portland - then they can withdraw from the units without losing their jobs. 

It's probably for the better as Portland shouldn't have riot police who believe its perfectly OK to beat defenseless people on the head with a baton.

It's kinda silly to allow police to refrain at will from law enforcement duties.  Given the reason that these cops are resigning (one of them was held accountable under the law for beating a defenseless person on the head with a baton) the voluntary system doesn't seem much of a guarantee that those actions won't happen.

The solution, it seems to me, is to require police to enforce the law within the law, whatever form of law enforcement is necessary, and keep them from beating innocent people by charging criminal cops with criminal charges, just like any other criminal.  Allowing cops to decline to enforce the law because they feel bad that they cannot commit criminal acts without consequences is madness.

It seems bizarre that an employer accepts voluntary assignments. Sure, you take the wishes of the employee into account at all times unless you're a moron, but having a situation where the employee can unilaterally say "I don't want to do this task anymore so I won't, starting today" without quitting the job entirely is madness.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Many urban police forces have trouble keeping enough staff.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 19, 2021, 03:18:06 AM
Many urban police forces have trouble keeping enough staff.

Many XXX have trouble keeping enough staff.  Starting Salary for PPB is $66,934 with no experience and only a high school diploma.  https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/wages-benefits 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Possibly not enough to entice people for riot duty, idk.

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 19, 2021, 08:41:06 AM
Possibly not enough to entice people for riot duty, idk.

Riot duty gets them a 10% bonus, and another 50% if it is overtime.  And it really isn't about enticing police to enforce the law.  It's about requiring them to enforce the law or find another career (one that won't pay nearly as much, in most cases). 

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Well whatever way we find to motivate people to be police officers or serve riot duty, one of those methods should probably not be the guarantee you will not be held accountable for violations of the law.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

But they don't have to find another career, there are police departments in less hazardous areas.

Anyway, just proffering a theory why the department lets them off the hook.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xlV2Hu_fGw

Footage of the Portland riot unit member's assault for those who have not seen it.