The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on April 21, 2021, 11:57:43 AM

But I do get my back up that language that I have used for 15+ years, and that others in my world use, is somehow wrong (or even offensive).

But this happens all the time. When you know better, you do better.

Would you rather be ignorant of the problems with your language?

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2021, 11:33:56 AM
That seems to be what the debate is about.

To my mind, what is animating the debate is the concern, most prevalent in the US but that exists elsewhere, that the police are attempting to grab a special status through the use of this term, which can lead to all sorts of bad outcomes - militarization of the police, insistence on special rights for police accused of violence, and the like. So using that distinction is seen as a bad idea. This I think has coloured the debate over whether it is logical or proper usage.
I think this is the crux of the issue, and why this debate started in the first place.  No matter the terms used, the problem that exists is the "us vs. them" dynamic when it comes to police and the people being policed. 

I think the reason people take issue with the word "civilian" in particular is that it places the "civilians" in a subservient position.  In the other situation where you have armed people and civilians interacting, it's the occupying military forces and the local civilian population.  The occupying forces may have policies and rules of engagement in order to be "nice" to the locals, but at the end of the day they hold all the power in the relationship, and any misunderstanding will end much worse for the civilian than for the occupying military. 

Taking the terms to the police world may risk taking the same attitude to the police world, especially with many cops being war veterans these days.  When you take that attitude to the police world, police officers may start forgetting that they don't have to respect "civilians" to be nice, they have to respect them because they have no choice over the matter.  The "civilians" are citizens, citizens have rights, and respecting them is not up to your discretion.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2021, 11:59:11 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2021, 11:49:44 AM
Pretty much how I see it, and why it is weird that one side seems to be arguing vehemently that the cops are NOT civilians. What is the itilityu in making that distinction in this context? If anything, it would be an argument that police should be treated "more specially" rather then insisting that they do, in fact, have to abide by the basic standards that we hold each other to.

It's such a bizarre hill to die on.

Who is dying on a hill?

And I'm not arguing that police need to be treated "more specially".

But I do get my back up that language that I have used for 15+ years, and that others in my world use, is somehow wrong (or even offensive).

The key is "your world". I use language in my world all the time that I have zero expectation has relevance outside of it. Nor do I think that makes my use of it "wrong". Language is always contextual.

That's fine.  It doesn't have to have relevance outside of the criminal justice world.  I said pages and pages ago that language was contextual.

But what doesn't mean my use of the word civilian in this context is wrong.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on April 21, 2021, 12:02:45 PM

But this happens all the time. When you know better, you do better.

Would you rather be ignorant of the problems with your language?

Bring them up all you want.

I have heard the comments, and reject my language as being problematic.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2021, 11:59:11 AM
Pretty much how I see it, and why it is weird that one side seems to be arguing vehemently that the cops are NOT civilians. What is the itilityu in making that distinction in this context? If anything, it would be an argument that police should be treated "more specially" rather then insisting that they do, in fact, have to abide by the basic standards that we hold each other to.

Who is dying on a hill?

And I'm not arguing that police need to be treated "more specially".

The key is "your world". I use language in my world all the time that I have zero expectation has relevance outside of it. Nor do I think that makes my use of it "wrong". Language is always contextual.

Its not just BB's world.  As already pointed out, referring to the police as not being civilians is wide spread throughout the US.  You have already acknowledged that you are aware of that.  You are arguing for narrow understanding of the word that does not accept that wider use.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2021, 12:04:51 PM

To my mind, what is animating the debate is the concern, most prevalent in the US but that exists elsewhere, that the police are attempting to grab a special status through the use of this term, which can lead to all sorts of bad outcomes - militarization of the police, insistence on special rights for police accused of violence, and the like. So using that distinction is seen as a bad idea. This I think has coloured the debate over whether it is logical or proper usage.
I think this is the crux of the issue, and why this debate started in the first place.  No matter the terms used, the problem that exists is the "us vs. them" dynamic when it comes to police and the people being policed. 

I think the reason people take issue with the word "civilian" in particular is that it places the "civilians" in a subservient position.  In the other situation where you have armed people and civilians interacting, it's the occupying military forces and the local civilian population.  The occupying forces may have policies and rules of engagement in order to be "nice" to the locals, but at the end of the day they hold all the power in the relationship, and any misunderstanding will end much worse for the civilian than for the occupying military. 

Taking the terms to the police world may risk taking the same attitude to the police world, especially with many cops being war veterans these days.  When you take that attitude to the police world, police officers may start forgetting that they don't have to respect "civilians" to be nice, they have to respect them because they have no choice over the matter.  The "civilians" are citizens, citizens have rights, and respecting them is not up to your discretion.

We are also questioning by what right do they consider themselves non-civilian.  The distinction seems arbitrary and the only function is create a barrier between police and the public.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Anyone know any good histories covering how occupying forces dealt with police of the occupied nations? I've had "Marianne in Chains" on my wishlist for a while now, but am wondering if there is something more specific out there.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on April 21, 2021, 12:16:39 PM
Anyone know any good histories covering how occupying forces dealt with police of the occupied nations? I've had "Marianne in Chains" on my wishlist for a while now, but am wondering if there is something more specific out there.

This might be of interest - also interesting in the context of our discussion, it refers to the police as a civilian force as opposed to military peacekeepers.

https://www.routledge.com/From-Congo-to-Kosovo-Civilian-Police-in-Peace-Operations/Hansen/p/book/9780198516736

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2021, 11:46:57 AM
The debate is whether this terminology, which all agree is being used, is incorrect or not.

One side of the debate is that the use of this terminology is incorrect. According to that side, "civilian" is a term that applies to the distinction between the military and everyone who is not in the military, and has no other legitimate use. If this is true, then police - who are not in the military - are "civilians", nothing more.

The other side of the debate is that the use of the term had more than one meaning. In the context of the laws of war and peace, the police are "civilians", just as the first side states. However, in the context of law enforcement, the police are not "civilians" (and in this context, an off-duty member of the armed forces, who is subject to civilian law rather than military law, would be a "civilian" as well).

Actually, off-duty military and naval members in the US are still subject to the UCMJ and would be tried in military courts unless they waive jurisdiction (or don't have it, in e.g. non-criminal infractions like speeding or jaywalking).

The only sense in which police don't seem to be civilians is in their own minds and some bureaucratic shorthand.  Certainly the consequences of police mentally divorcing themselves from the civilian populace cannot be good.

My argument is simply that "the police are civilians" is a true statement except under special circumstances that most people are unaware of and which amount to nothing of general concern.  The police themselves (and CC) not believing it amounts, in my argument, to special pleading.  Lots of groups distinguish themselves from ordinary civilians, but they remain civilians nonetheless.

In Canada at least, members of the military are subject to the civilian courts unless the offence is under particularly military jurisdiction. The distinction between the two is somewhat complex - in some cases, members of the military on active duty must be tried in civilian courts (such as fir serious offences committed in Canada, such as murder); in others, the military prosecutor has discretion, and so some cases may be tried in either military or civilian courts.

Source:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/jag/military-justice-overview.pdf

Obviously, different countries may do things differently.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2021, 09:00:50 AM
I"ve certainly heard people within the policing community refer to non-police as "civilians". Is that what is up for debate?

The debate is whether this terminology, which all agree is being used, is incorrect or not.

One side of the debate is that the use of this terminology is incorrect. According to that side, "civilian" is a term that applies to the distinction between the military and everyone who is not in the military, and has no other legitimate use. If this is true, then police - who are not in the military - are "civilians", nothing more.

The other side of the debate is that the use of the term had more than one meaning. In the context of the laws of war and peace, the police are "civilians", just as the first side states. However, in the context of law enforcement, the police are not "civilians" (and in this context, an off-duty member of the armed forces, who is subject to civilian law rather than military law, would be a "civilian" as well).

I don't think the other side is arguing vehemently that police are not civilians. I think they are arguing that the use of the distinction by the police and others in certain contexts, which we know happens, isn't incorrect.

The distinction is this: arguing that police are not civilians implies that he word is not contextual - that police go into the same category as members of the armed forces. Everyone acknowledges that this is not the case, that police are not in that category for the purposes of the laws of war and peace. What the other side is saying, is that in the context of policing, using "civilians" to mean "non-police" is not improper - and isn't intended to mean that the police have duties under the Geneva convention etc. it is just shorthand, one in wide use.

Certainly another term can be used (for example, "non-police"). Any word that distinguishes the two creates the good old euphemism treadmill, when the problem remains (that is, abuse of police authority).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2021, 01:04:32 PM
I don't think the other side is arguing vehemently that police are not civilians. I think they are arguing that the use of the distinction by the police and others in certain contexts, which we know happens, isn't incorrect.

The first shot fired in the discussion was from Beebs (Reply #6675 on: April 12, 2021, 09:28:16 pm):
QuoteCivillians have always excluded police.

The rest of the discussion followed from that.

QuoteThe distinction is this: arguing that police are not civilians implies that he word is not contextual - that police go into the same category as members of the armed forces. Everyone acknowledges that this is not the case, that police are not in that category for the purposes of the laws of war and peace. What the other side is saying, is that in the context of policing, using "civilians" to mean "non-police" is not improper - and isn't intended to mean that the police have duties under the Geneva convention etc. it is just shorthand, one in wide use.

But that's just it:  I don't believe that the use of the term "civilian" to distinguish them from police is in wide use.  Some police use it, and some prosecutors use it.  Some languish lawyers claim that they use it because they enjoy being contrary.   And that's pretty much it.  US law doesn't use it.  International law doesn't.  The news media don't.  The US federal government lists federal police positions under their civilian regulations and job openings.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I think after 9 days and nearly 300 posts, it's time to give that one a rest.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2021, 02:10:08 PM
But that's just it:  I don't believe that the use of the term "civilian" to distinguish them from police is in wide use.  Some police use it, and some prosecutors use it.  Some languish lawyers claim that they use it because they enjoy being contrary.   And that's pretty much it.  US law doesn't use it.  International law doesn't.  The news media don't.  The US federal government lists federal police positions under their civilian regulations and job openings.

But here's the thing grumbler - the law uses language in a very special and particular way.  There's even a whole separate dictionaries for how words are legally defined.  But that has only a vague and passing familiarity to how words are used in the real world.

You have numerous examples now (including *ahem* civilian dictionaries) that include non-police being included as civilians depending on the circumstance.  I would suggest that is in fact wide use.

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 21, 2021, 03:36:54 PM
I think after 9 days and nearly 300 posts, it's time to give that one a rest.

It would be the civil thing to do.