The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2021, 06:55:30 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 16, 2021, 06:50:09 PM
Tough call that one.

So make the tough call.

Why don't you go first, of you are so eager to see leaps to judgement?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

In a war between two or more states, if one state is doing badly and some of it's territory is occupied, the police forces there are not taken prisoner by the occupying power, have protections written in international conventions and can still go about maintaining civil order amongst the civilian population. They are decidedly not military in any meaning full way.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2021, 06:55:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2021, 06:39:35 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 16, 2021, 05:10:14 PM
Ok, so that well describes a function and powers of someone appointed with police powers.  But I don't see why that precipitates a need to make those persons distinctive from others on that basis alone, again, except for what seems to be an inexplicable need to highlight that distinction in the widespread sense that we do.

I simply just don't see a need for it.  And as Grumbler has highlighted, that artificial distinction seems to have spawned plenty of downsides and maintains no real benefits (I won't count simply administrative ones).

I think it has to do with who exercises the coercive powers of the state.  The military and police are rather unique in that way.

Prison guards exercise the coercive powers of the state, as do dogcatchers and meter maids, so police and military are not, in fact, unique in that.

Your argument boils down to special pleading (you really need to look that up before you continue to ignore the First Rule of Holes).

Wow, where you live meter maids have the same powers as the police.  I mean there are a lot of stories about the militarization of the police down there.  But holy crap, I had no idea Meter maids were packing.  You sure you want to keep living there?

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2021, 10:53:47 PM
Prison guards exercise the coercive powers of the state, as do dogcatchers and meter maids
Wow, where you live meter maids have the same powers as the police.

:hmm:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

Ok, so that well describes a function and powers of someone appointed with police powers.  But I don't see why that precipitates a need to make those persons distinctive from others on that basis alone, again, except for what seems to be an inexplicable need to highlight that distinction in the widespread sense that we do.

I simply just don't see a need for it.  And as Grumbler has highlighted, that artificial distinction seems to have spawned plenty of downsides and maintains no real benefits (I won't count simply administrative ones).

I think it has to do with who exercises the coercive powers of the state.  The military and police are rather unique in that way.

Prison guards exercise the coercive powers of the state, as do dogcatchers and meter maids, so police and military are not, in fact, unique in that.

Your argument boils down to special pleading (you really need to look that up before you continue to ignore the First Rule of Holes).

Wow, where you live meter maids have the same powers as the police.  I mean there are a lot of stories about the militarization of the police down there.  But holy crap, I had no idea Meter maids were packing.  You sure you want to keep living there?

I know you and Grumbler have a special antagonism between you, but I don't think he said that, or even implied it. 

As I read it, he was including those professions (even if "meter maid" is a rather outdated and sexist term I'd think these days) that exercise the authority of the state and law, albeit in a lesser degree. 

As to your point, are they unique?  In a sense, sure.  But I would counter that other professions and functions of the state (or even in the private sphere) have their own uniqueness, but don't earn a special civilian/police divide.  They may not all have the direct, literal "hands-on" contact of a police officer...but so what?  I don't see a good argument for that uniqueness necessitates an artificial divide that creates two "classes" of human beings where it is not necessary to do so.

Perhaps the argument needs to shift to "why is it necessary to have an exceptional distinction, not shared by other professions, between police officers and other people in a society?". 

At first glance, the potential answer "because they exercise the coercive power of the state", doesn't seem adequate or necessary...as we could then just as easily throw up other reasons to allocate people in certain professions from others in society.    It just seems like a form of division that we don't need.

Or we just need to agree to disagree and let this squabble die.  :P

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 17, 2021, 01:23:37 AM

I know you and Grumbler have a special antagonism between you, but I don't think he said that, or even implied it. 

As I read it, he was including those professions (even if "meter maid" is a rather outdated and sexist term I'd think these days) that exercise the authority of the state and law, albeit in a lesser degree. 

As to your point, are they unique?  In a sense, sure.  But I would counter that other professions and functions of the state (or even in the private sphere) have their own uniqueness, but don't earn a special civilian/police divide.  They may not all have the direct, literal "hands-on" contact of a police officer...but so what?  I don't see a good argument for that uniqueness necessitates an artificial divide that creates two "classes" of human beings where it is not necessary to do so.

Perhaps the argument needs to shift to "why is it necessary to have an exceptional distinction, not shared by other professions, between police officers and other people in a society?". 

At first glance, the potential answer "because they exercise the coercive power of the state", doesn't seem adequate or necessary...as we could then just as easily throw up other reasons to allocate people in certain professions from others in society.    It just seems like a form of division that we don't need.

I think the two sides are simply arguing two different things.

Your "side" is arguing that the distinction isn't a good idea. Presumably, because using such a distinction may lead to bad attitudes on the part of the cops, contribute to a creeping militarization on the part of the cops, etc.

I may even agree with that.

However, the other "side" is basically noting that the distinction exists, is used by some, and that there is a reason why it is used - because cops have coercive powers, and that this difference is important.

No doubt other professions have coercive state powers to a degree, so maybe the definition is a bit fuzzy around the edges, but that is basically that.

Point is, both points of view can be true at the same time - the distinction may make sense, but it also may be a bad idea to make it. The fact that it may be a bad idea doesn't invalidate the fact that the distinction makes sense.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

CdM worked in Baltimore didn't he?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xvzwp/baltimore-cops-carried-toy-guns-to-plant-on-people-they-shot-trial-reveals-vgtrn
QuoteBaltimore Cops Carried Toy Guns to Plant on People They Shot, Trial Reveals

One officer involved in the city's massive corruption scandal said officers kept the replicas "in case we accidentally hit somebody or got into a shootout, so we could plant them."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Didn't bin Ladin carry a Super Soaker? Allegedly... :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2021, 10:19:13 PM

A long ass time ago. I think he was bail bonding by the time he started posting on Languish.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2021, 11:50:53 PM
Prison guards exercise the coercive powers of the state, as do dogcatchers and meter maids
Wow, where you live meter maids have the same powers as the police.

:hmm:

Grumbler was making an equivalency argument, I am as confused by it as you are.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 17, 2021, 01:23:37 AM

The lesser degree is the critical point.  Grumbler's argument falls apart when he tries to suggest there is an equivalency between the powers of the police and the powers of a person who gives out fines.

merithyn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2021, 10:19:13 PM

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xvzwp/baltimore-cops-carried-toy-guns-to-plant-on-people-they-shot-trial-reveals-vgtrn
QuoteBaltimore Cops Carried Toy Guns to Plant on People They Shot, Trial Reveals

One officer involved in the city's massive corruption scandal said officers kept the replicas "in case we accidentally hit somebody or got into a shootout, so we could plant them."

He left the force for reasons such as this.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...