The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Well nobody is perfect. I can only have what is in my head and what I read on the screen, I don't have direct access to what is in other heads or what others might read into something.

He stated that these people are like this. I need more than that to think that is a fair characterization. He did not qualify that in any way. But it is a minor thing that I did not anticipate would go on for this long of a discussion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

A citizen accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic, defending it with his life. A civilian does not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

In all of these arguments about police vs. civilian, I cannot help but think that it sounds like, when one boils it all down to some kind of root cause for the existence of the distinction, is simply the desire for that distinction to exist...whether it is necessary or not.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on April 16, 2021, 12:03:59 PM
Again, I think what distinguishes police is the sanctioned ability to use force against others under certain circumstances, in ways non-police may not, that sets them apart.

I agree but police are also distinct from members of the military, who are also sanctioned to use force, because the subject population for which force is authorized is the citizenry the police are supposed to be serving as opposed to a hostile foreign armed force.  Hence the concern about the militarization of police rhetoric, mentality, tactics and equipment, a trend that is exemplified by the tendency to embrace a police-"civilian" distinction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Yeah I think the difference is the military/non-civilian do not police their "own". So the military may be involved in policing, for example if there's widespread civil disturbances but this is almost always on the basis that they are not from the community they are policing. This also exists in certain European police forces that either technically are part of the Ministry of Defence (Carabinieri/Gendarmes model) or were deliberately posted to a different area, often staying in a barracks (Civil Guard). As well as colonial models and police forces that perhaps initially developed to police other communities.

The "public" in that line are the community that is being policed. You're not calling "in" (from somewhere else/outside) the army, or men with no families in a barracks. And I think that concept (which in the UK was created from parish constables and watchmen) was developed in contrast to the yeomanry or the army or the gendarmes, or the colonial police forces being created in bits of the British Empire.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2021, 12:21:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2021, 12:00:17 PM
I tried the argument that the police have special powers. This group is not biting.

That's because lots of groups have "special powers" and no one can articulate why the police special powers are super-special.

The police can lawfully kill you.  That seems to be a superpower similar to the military.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2021, 01:20:21 PM
I tried the argument that the police have special powers. This group is not biting.

That's because lots of groups have "special powers" and no one can articulate why the police special powers are super-special.

The police can lawfully kill you.  That seems to be a superpower similar to the military.

I really wouldn't put it that way.

I mean - I could lawfully kill you given the right circumstances.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2021, 12:27:20 PM
Yeah what's the argument that the Secret Service aren't police (and hence not civilians)?

No uniforms, which was an identifier you used.  Ditto for FBI.

As you are finding out, defining differences that don't exist is hard.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 16, 2021, 12:44:35 PM
In all of these arguments about police vs. civilian, I cannot help but think that it sounds like, when one boils it all down to some kind of root cause for the existence of the distinction, is simply the desire for that distinction to exist...whether it is necessary or not.

:yes:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2021, 01:22:30 PM

Sure, let me expand the answer then.  The police have powers to restrain, inflict physical harm, remove your liberty and even kill you to an extent that a citizen does not.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2021, 01:46:03 PM
Yeah what's the argument that the Secret Service aren't police (and hence not civilians)?

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I'm a civilian, and the military can not lawfully kill me.  So that suggests they are NOT military but rather civilian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

All civilians can lawfully kill you.  The police are no different in this respect (other than the circumstances that the law allows).  Airline pilots have the superpower of lawfully piloting your plane.  Dogcatchers have the superpower of detaining your dog.  Are none of these civilians because they have superpowers?

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2021, 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2021, 01:46:03 PM

This is not an argument, and the "uniforms" are not uniform.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2021, 01:47:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2021, 01:22:30 PM

Sure, let me expand the answer then.  The police have powers to restrain, inflict physical harm, remove your liberty and even kill you to an extent that a citizen does not.

For those who missed the expansion of the answer.

But really, Grumbler, if you need to ignore the obvious differences between the powers given to the police and those given to a citizen to apply force, you might want to reconsider the validity of your argument.