The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

"When cops are yelling at you to get out of the car, it's a good idea to get out of the car."

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2021, 01:01:26 AM
"When cops are yelling at you to get out of the car, it's a good idea to get out of the car."

They also shouted at him to keep his hands visible.

All this over a car with tinted windows and paper license plates (which he apparently had because it was a newly bought car).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2021, 01:11:56 AM

All this over a car with tinted windows and paper license plates (which he apparently had because it was a newly bought car).

Most of all this was over failure to comply.

garbon

And thus why I fear cops and try to stay away from them whenever possible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2021, 01:01:26 AM

Yeah, complete hysteria. But I suppose the cops fear that any minor incident can lead to a shootout.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2021, 01:35:39 AM

Most of all this was over failure to comply.

The issue in this case, and the reason this thread is hundreds of pages long, is not failure to comply. Failure to comply is not a licence for the cops to do whatever they want. The issue is cops on a power trip, itching for a chance to hurt somebody, and this weird us-vs-them mentality they have with their own community.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on April 12, 2021, 05:57:16 AM
The issue in this case, and the reason this thread is hundreds of pages long, is not failure to comply. Failure to comply is not a licence for the cops to do whatever they want. The issue is cops on a power trip, itching for a chance to hurt somebody, and this weird us-vs-them mentality they have with their own community.

OK, let's discuss THE ISSUE.

What is the right way to respond to a failure to comply?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2021, 06:02:20 AM

Reassess whether the action you are demanding the suspect carry out is really necessary.  There is no reason to have someone leave their car because of a traffic stop.  I've been stopped several times and never had to leave my car.

The way NOT to respond to failure to comply is to immediately escalate the situation and issue threats that are against policy.

In this case, the cops realized that they had fucked up on camera, and so let the driver go.  They could have started with that mindset and this would all have been avoided.

The police alienating the community for the sake of forcing compliance to bullshit orders only helps the actual criminals.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Unholster and keep shooting until every bullet is expended.  Then call HQ and request a nuclear strike from orbit.  The guy didn't comply right?  Can't take any chances.

Alternatively,
Apply a basic concept well recognized in the law and indeed in virtually any interaction between human beings: rationally assess context and implement a response that is proportional to and appropriate to the situation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 12, 2021, 08:35:56 AM

Unholster and keep shooting until every bullet is expended.  Then call HQ and request a nuclear strike from orbit.  The guy didn't comply right?  Can't take any chances.

Alternatively,
Apply a basic concept well recognized in the law and indeed in virtually any interaction between human beings: rationally assess context and implement a response that is proportional to and appropriate to the situation.
The problem with that approach is that you're setting a precedent that civilians can defy your authority and live to tell about it.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2021, 08:46:29 AM

Alternatively,
The problem with that approach is that you're setting a precedent that civilians can defy your authority and live to tell about it.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fromtia

Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

Please go on.

Tonitrus

HVC

i can't not focus on the dogs penile sheath... is that the right term? whatever it is its staring into my soul
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.