The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Grand Rapids went from being Gerald Ford territory to the Lordship of De Vos and HQ to America's largest and most respected Ponzi scheme.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Yeah... still waiting on the body cam footage...

QuoteOLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) — Four officers fired over 30 rounds at Portland, Oregon, fugitive Michael Reinoehl after they cornered him in his car Sept. 3 outside a Washington apartment complex where he had been hiding out, a sheriff's official said Tuesday in an update on the investigation.

Thurston County Sheriff's Lt. Ray Brady said Tuesday that police found Reinoehl with a loaded .380-caliber handgun in his front pocket and his hand on or near the gun after he was fatally shot by police officers in Lacey, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported.

Reinoehl was the suspect in the fatal Portland shooting of Aaron "Jay" Danielson after a pro-Trump car caravan Aug. 29.

Investigators are awaiting lab results to determine whether the gun on Reinoehl, a self-described anti-fascist activist, was the same one used in the Portland shooting.

There were rounds in Reinoehl's gun after it was recovered, Brady said, but he wouldn't say how many.

Questions have swirled around Reinoehl's death after witnesses gave differing accounts of what they saw. All described a chaotic scene with bullets flying while children were outside.

A team led by the Thurston County Sheriff's Office hasn't finished its investigation yet, Brady said, but he has given weekly updates with new details.

Brady said four officers from a multi-agency federal task force pulled up in two unmarked SUVS in front of Reinoehl's Volkswagen. The officers who fired told investigators they gave Reinoehl "commands to stop and show his hands" before they shot him, Brady said. One officer told investigators he saw Reinoehl raise a gun toward him, and another officer said he saw Reinoehl trying to retrieve a gun from his pocket, Brady said.

An autopsy found Reinoehl died from gunshot wounds to the head and upper torso.

Earlier that day, Portland police had obtained a warrant to arrest Reinoehl on second-degree murder and unlawful use of a firearm allegations in the Portland killing.

Reinoehl, who said he provided security for Black Lives Matter protests, was wanted in the death of Danielson, a supporter of the right-wing conservative group Patriot Prayer based in Vancouver, Washington.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

That all sounds rather fishy. Like they were exacting their own form of justice.

Though since Reinoehl had a weapon they will probably get away with it, if that was the case.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

It seems that Trump mentioned this incident in a rally:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1316801262277455872

QuoteTrump: We sent in the US Marshals, took 15 minutes and it was over... They knew who he was, they didn't want to arrest him and 15 minutes that ended

Yay for the American president for endorsing state sponsored extra judicial assasinations of American citizens!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 15, 2020, 01:50:32 PM

QuoteTrump: We sent in the US Marshals, took 15 minutes and it was over... They knew who he was, they didn't want to arrest him and 15 minutes that ended

Yay for the American president for endorsing state sponsored extra judicial assasinations of American citizens!
And the people cheering him :(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

That doesn't even surprise me anymore. He's truly poisoned American society.

Zoupa

Quote from: The Larch on October 15, 2020, 01:58:06 PM

The poison is present in every society. It's grown tremendously in the US over the last 35 years though.

merithyn

:blink:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on October 15, 2020, 02:03:07 PM

The poison is present in every society. It's grown tremendously in the US over the last 35 years though.

True, true, but you've never had a President appealing like him to his countrymen's darkest side.

Valmy

The President is calling for law enforcement to violate the 5th Amendment to the Constitution?

I mean of course he is. It's Donald Trump.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

The fascists were mostly there before Trump came on the scene, he just made them not latent.

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2020, 02:52:19 PM
The fascists were mostly there before Trump came on the scene, he just made them not latent.

I don't meant to say that it was all ok before he came up, just that he has really encouraged and brought the darker side of American society tot he forefront.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on October 15, 2020, 03:01:35 PM

I don't meant to say that it was all ok before he came up, just that he has really encouraged and brought the darker side of American society tot he forefront.
That he did.  It truly is frightening what he can get away with saying out loud, and thus normalize it to some degree.

grumbler

Its not just the fascists though (I agree with your statement).  It's also the people who "know" what "justice" is and think that it's past time we stopped allowing the "deep state" to prevent the prompt application of "only justice: prompt, severe and inflexible; it is then an emanation of virtue; it is less a distinct principle than a natural consequence of the general principle of democracy, applied to the most pressing wants of the country."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2020, 03:03:57 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 15, 2020, 03:01:35 PM

That he did.  It truly is frightening what he can get away with saying out loud, and thus normalize it to some degree.
And this is surprising... how?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTACH1eVIaA
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.