The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Well, some would.  Either the ignorant, or those for whom it is in their interest to do so.

Oexmelin

Many would, in fact. Especially in the US, where that shit is automated, and where many employers run check for criminal records prior to employment. Any « check » is usually sufficient to disqualify an applicant; few bother to look at what the record says, and many still operate under the assumption that an arrest is already sign that something is fishy.

One of my student was wrongfully arrested (a felon had the same name as he). He still hasn't succeeded in fully scrubbing his record, and that was with the help of his relatively affluent family and their lawyers. I can't imagine what it is for people with much less resources as he had.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2020, 09:10:57 PM
No, they're saying he was a convicted sex offender.

Wait, they aren't saying he was Jewish?  Cause I'm hearing them saying that he's Jewish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2020, 01:03:02 PM

Wait, they aren't saying he was Jewish?  Cause I'm hearing them saying that he's Jewish.

That's silly. Giant ants don't talk.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2020, 01:03:02 PM

I guess we're hearing different "theys" :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Anybody who pays attention to "them" is a dope.  "They" have no interest in the truth, just an interest in the froth.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

:o Wow, an actual agreement. :unsure: We don't have nearly enough of that as of late.

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on August 31, 2020, 11:17:56 PM
:o Wow, an actual agreement. :unsure: We don't have nearly enough of that as of late.

Fuck you, then have the horse you rode in on fuck you too.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Here's the play-by-play of the shooting in Portland Saturday. Be warned,  there are links to two videos that show the actual shooting.

It appears that the guy who was shot maced the shooter. The guys with the cameras are struggling to breathe and one can't see for a bit.

Video: How the Fatal Shooting at A Portland Protest Unfolded https://nyti.ms/3gQAcSd
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Trump visiting Kenosha today. I'm sure he will find soothing and healing words that will bring the nation together.

Then, maybe, not.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

My office building is completely shut down today. There are supposed to be protests two block down from there - at the Federal building - today. No one is supposed to be in the office anyway, but some have gone in at various times for reasons. Today, no one can go there.

Over the weekend, I saw several of the Patriot Prayer guys around my place, which is disconcerting. I live in a very minority-heavy area.

These conflicts are coming much closer to home now.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: merithyn on September 01, 2020, 01:45:13 PM
My office building is completely shut down today. There are supposed to be protests two block down from there - at the Federal building - today. No one is supposed to be in the office anyway, but some have gone in at various times for reasons. Today, no one can go there.

Over the weekend, I saw several of the Patriot Prayer guys around my place, which is disconcerting. I live in a very minority-heavy area.

Patriot Prayer isn't so bad. If anyone starts violence there, I doubt it will be them.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

merithyn

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 01, 2020, 02:28:16 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 01, 2020, 01:45:13 PM

Patriot Prayer isn't so bad. If anyone starts violence there, I doubt it will be them.

:mellow:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Their leader is under indictment right now for starting fights in downtown Portland last year. They are regularly at protests with guns, bats, and paintball guns. They deliberately drove through downtown Portland on Saturday during the BLM protests, spraying protesters with bear mace and shooting them with paintball guns.