The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 30, 2020, 05:40:36 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 30, 2020, 05:26:45 PM
So, you're hinting that he should have been shot.
I'm hinting that the guy is, sorry, was a piece of trash and, while I don't think he deserved to die, I won't be mourning him.

That's what I hear people on the right saying about one of the two guys that got killed in Kenosha.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zoupa

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on August 30, 2020, 07:36:59 PM
Oh. That's what you hear eh?

Well, yeah.  I mean one of the guys was Jewish. Globalist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

No, they're saying he was a convicted sex offender.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2020, 09:10:57 PM
No, they're saying he was a convicted sex offender.

And do you listen to what "they're" saying?  Are "they" offering any proof?  Do "they" even name the victim to whom "they" refer? 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

The Rosenbaum guy. Yes, there's proof. And chillax.

The Minsky Moment

He certainly seems to have spent quite a lot of time in prison. Of course the shooter would not be aware of the criminal histories of any of his victims.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 30, 2020, 11:50:29 PM
He certainly seems to have spent quite a lot of time in prison. Of course the shooter would not be aware of the criminal histories of any of his victims.

And even if he did, unless a court sentences a man to death it is still illegal to kill them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2020, 09:32:07 PM

Why are you "conservatives" always so concerned about the victims' bad juju? Trayvon Martin had traces of marijuana in his system, dID yOu kNoW tHat????

Good thing we have our local Tucker Carlson on hand to tell us what "they" are saying.

Richard Hakluyt

Lots of people are bad and all are flawed which is why we have a criminal justice system; you will have civil war if justifying vigilantism because people are drug offenders or racist shitheads becomes  a mainstream view.

bogh

Quote from: Zoupa on August 31, 2020, 12:09:12 AM

Why are you "conservatives" always so concerned about the victims' bad juju? Trayvon Martin had traces of marijuana in his system, dID yOu kNoW tHat????

Good thing we have our local Tucker Carlson on hand to tell us what "they" are saying.

I think derspiess was making the point that the speculation about the PP guy being a POS reminded him of the right wing speculation about the Kenosha guys - in both instances it isn't really relevant to the case itself.

Syt

Considering the large number of people with criminal records in the US, I don't think it's insightful to focus on prior convictions of any of the victims in these shootings:

From 2015:

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/just-facts-many-americans-have-criminal-records-college-diplomas

QuoteThe number of Americans with a criminal history has risen sharply over the past three decades. Today, nearly one-third of the adult working age population has a criminal record. In fact, so many Americans have a criminal record that counting them all is nearly impossible.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I always unthinkingly thought that having a "criminal record" meant that you had been convicted of a crime. I didn't know that it included arrests and stuff. Nice. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: bogh on August 31, 2020, 12:42:42 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 31, 2020, 12:09:12 AM

I think derspiess was making the point that the speculation about the PP guy being a POS reminded him of the right wing speculation about the Kenosha guys - in both instances it isn't really relevant to the case itself.

Correct.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on August 31, 2020, 02:14:55 AM
I always unthinkingly thought that having a "criminal record" meant that you had been convicted of a crime. I didn't know that it included arrests and stuff. Nice. :)

A criminal record is just that - a record of convictions.

Now, records are also kept of "arrests and stuff", and I know I can access all of that information (records of charges not resulting in convictions is trivial, records of arrests not leading to charges difficult but not impossible) but no one would call that a criminal record.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.