The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 30, 2020, 03:58:01 PM
Why is Portland ground zero for these protests, a city with very few black people?  :hmm:

We have very few black people? :hmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on August 30, 2020, 02:40:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 30, 2020, 12:25:44 PM
That's a really bullshit argument.  I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment, I'm just being a janitor for garbage arguments.  Usually the person being murdered is the one dealing out the property damage, whereas the person whose property is damaged usually has absolutely nothing to do with the murder.  No one (yet) is going through the minority neighborhoods and randomly shooting at inhabitants there in response to the property damage caused by riots.
It would be a bullshit argument if it was an argument.
What was it then?

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on August 30, 2020, 02:08:27 PM
Video:

https://twitter.com/ShannonSharpe/status/1299783390573465600?s=20

QuoteIs this noncompliance?

We were told, noncompliance is a death sentence. I need an explanation.

lol damn. You should link this under your sister's next "well just do what the police tells you and you won't be shot" post.

Tonitrus

To be fair(?), pretty sure that's a taser, not his firearm.  (if that is his service weapon, that's a dumbass way to hold it)

Eddie Teach

So a cop used his discretion and didn't kill someone. Clearly that says something about the others?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 30, 2020, 04:31:45 PM
Yes. Under 3% is very few.

Well, it's 6.3% in Portland, which equates to over 40,000 people. That's not exactly "very few".

On top of that,  Portland has a long history of white supremacy. For the past decade, the city has been trying to end their racist policies and practices, usually due to protests.  So, based on that, it's not at all surprising this is happening here.

merithyn

This is the guy who was shot. He was interviewed when he came to Portland in 2017 to defend the white supremacist who killed two people with a knife on the Max.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/10/08/19375638/a-man-had-a-gun-stowed-in-his-scooter-at-todays-patriot-prayer-rally-he-was-arrested

Sophie Scholl

To paraphrase his own words to be about him, he is "not a hero, he's not anybody to be idolized, and he deserved everything that he got."
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

So, you're hinting that he should have been shot.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on August 30, 2020, 04:47:52 PM

Well, it's 6.3% in Portland, which equates to over 40,000 people. That's not exactly "very few".

On top of that,  Portland has a long history of white supremacy. For the past decade, the city has been trying to end their racist policies and practices, usually due to protests.  So, based on that, it's not at all surprising this is happening here.

6% of the population is a rather low percentage. The very low about of diversity (and specifically black people) is one of the things that both of my sisters noted about their time living there.

From wiki:

QuoteIn 2009, Portland had the fifth-highest percentage of white residents among the 40 largest U.S. metropolitan areas. A 2007 survey of the 40 largest cities in the U.S. concluded Portland's urban core has the highest percentage of white residents. Some scholars have noted the Pacific Northwest as a whole is "one of the last Caucasian bastions of the United States". While Portland's diversity was historically comparable to metro Seattle and Salt Lake City, those areas grew more diverse in the late 1990s and 2000s. Portland not only remains white, but migration to Portland is disproportionately white.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: 11B4V on August 30, 2020, 05:26:45 PM
So, you're hinting that he should have been shot.
I'm hinting that the guy is, sorry, was a piece of trash and, while I don't think he deserved to die, I won't be mourning him.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 30, 2020, 04:41:00 PM
So a cop used his discretion and didn't kill someone. Clearly that says something about the others?

TBF I am sure there are instances of a black dude yelling insults straight into a cop's face for minutes without him being arrested let alone shot, but you have to be really wilfully obtuse to not see the irony in that scene.

Anyways, I saw a news report of one of these Portland pro-Trump demonstrators being shot in some incident but once again it was a Hungarian source who knows what actually happened.

Things seem to be slowly but steadily escalating over there, I am not sure what it will take to de-escalate. Even if Trump loses he will remain a catalyst and leader for the fucktards to feel emboldened into activity,I am hoping the federal state will be quick to adopt better policies in dealing with all this once he is out so there will be a chance for improvement at least with thus Russian asset no longer debilitating the country.  And if he wins then I just don't see how you can go another 4 years of this without some serious violence.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2020, 05:38:29 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 30, 2020, 04:47:52 PM

6% of the population is a rather low percentage. The very low about of diversity (and specifically black people) is one of the things that both of my sisters noted about their time living there.

From wiki:

QuoteIn 2009, Portland had the fifth-highest percentage of white residents among the 40 largest U.S. metropolitan areas. A 2007 survey of the 40 largest cities in the U.S. concluded Portland's urban core has the highest percentage of white residents. Some scholars have noted the Pacific Northwest as a whole is "one of the last Caucasian bastions of the United States". While Portland's diversity was historically comparable to metro Seattle and Salt Lake City, those areas grew more diverse in the late 1990s and 2000s. Portland not only remains white, but migration to Portland is disproportionately white.

40,000 people who have been systemically abused by the system are still 40,000 people fighting. On top of that, you get the liberal Whites out there with them, which is most of the rest of the city.

There has been a massive push against the PPB for a while because of how they treat Black people. And white supremacy is all around the city; they often come into the city for marches and protests. That means that those who are here who believe in equality are already "geared up and ready for a fight".

It's not the numbers of minorities that is why it's the epicenter of all of this. It's the history of where they've already come from and what's already been done.

As for the numbers, I admit that I live on the edge of the city where the population is far more mixed than downtown or near the SW suburbs, so I have a different view of how whitewashed the city is. That's intentional. I felt incredibly uncomfortable in one of the other neighborhoods that I lived in. It was one that used to be the red-lined black neighborhood until white people started buying the houses up cheap and forcing the black families out to the edges of the city.

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on August 30, 2020, 05:44:29 PM

Anyways, I saw a news report of one of these Portland pro-Trump demonstrators being shot in some incident but once again it was a Hungarian source who knows what actually happened.

:mellow:

I posted an article further up that this happened.