The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2020, 02:47:40 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 26, 2020, 02:28:23 PM
A lot more protesters are going to get that takeaway and start showing up armed and/or taking proactive measures against right-wing militias that show up armed.

Yep, one of these days the rooters might get violent.

Well the trick is to keep that violence at a minimum. The overwhelming majority of people do not want violence.

The best solution is, of course, to find ways to stop the protests from starting in the first place. I told you back in 2016 that if this issue of unconstitutionally depriving people of their lives without due process by agents of the state was not handled it would be enormously socially destabilizing. Well here we are and any time this country wants to get serious about this core issue and not just try to deal with the symptoms would be great. It is unlikely to get much better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

This is starting to feel more and more like Jefferson might have been right about that Tree of Liberty thing.  :(

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on August 26, 2020, 02:56:28 PM
Shooter killed a white guy, he's screwed.

The dude in Austin killed a white guy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tonitrus

According to the current political arithmetic...not if the killed white guy is found to be Antifa.  :sleep:

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 26, 2020, 02:58:45 PM
According to the current political arithmetic...not if the killed white guy is found to be Antifa.  :sleep:

Well you cannot prove any one person ISN'T Antifa.

merithyn

Seedy has already called that Trump will give the kid a pardon regardless of any court outcome. He's probably right.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

At least you didn't go with Seedy Seconds.  :P

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 03:22:32 PM

Seedy has already called that Trump will give the kid a pardon regardless of any court outcome. He's probably right.

He is definitely wrong. While there could be federal tack on crimes, murder is almost always charged as a state crime. Trump can't use the power of the pardon to get someone out of state convictions.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on August 26, 2020, 04:02:31 PM

He is definitely wrong. While there could be federal tack on crimes, murder is almost always charged as a state crime. Trump can't use the power of the pardon to get someone out of state convictions.

This could be deemed a Federal case because the kid crossed state lines to get away. He's being extradited back to Wisconsin.

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 04:06:33 PM

This could be deemed a Federal case because the kid crossed state lines to get away. He's being extradited back to Wisconsin.

Wisconsin has charged him with first degree murder. Trump can't pardon him for that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Sheilbh

I mean the police description of this seems weird:
QuoteKenosha Police Chief Daniel Miskinis confirmed that a 17-year-old Antioch resident has been charged in a shooting incident and said that the man "was involved in the use of firearms to resolve whatever conflict was in place."
:mellow:

Edit: If nothing else it is an outstanding use of the passive voice.

Also is there no chance this would be considered terrorism. It feels like turning up at a political demonstration and shooting people sort of could be?
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: alfred russel on August 26, 2020, 04:10:58 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 04:06:33 PM

Wisconsin has charged him with first degree murder. Trump can't pardon him for that.

A guy killed a Chinese national student in Illinois. He was initially charged with first degree murder in Illinois. It became a Federal case because he used a car during the crime, and was moved to a federal case so that the death penalty was an option.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I am saying that we don't know yet how this will play out on many levels. The kid can only be pardoned by Trump if Trump wins and they change the venue. What makes you think that Trump won't push them to change the venue to a federal crime?

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2020, 04:34:41 PM
A guy killed a Chinese national student in Illinois. He was initially charged with first degree murder in Illinois. It became a Federal case because he used a car during the crime, and was moved to a federal case so that the death penalty was an option.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I am saying that we don't know yet how this will play out on many levels. The kid can only be pardoned by Trump if Trump wins and they change the venue. What makes you think that Trump won't push them to change the venue to a federal crime?

So if under some theory he gets charged with a federal crime, the feds get first dibs on the trial, and Trump gives him a full pardon, then the dude has to go face state murder charges in Wisconsin.