The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2020, 05:15:22 PM
I'm just failing to see how anyone can be okay with what's happening in the US re: federal law enforcement refusing to listen to/ignoring state guidance on how to treat their citizens. So far it's Portland. Chicago later this week. Where to next? It sure as hell won't be Houston or Jacksonville. He needs those states.

This is not okay. This is what fascism looks and feels like.
That's fascist supporters for you though. They're totally OK with any rule breaking it as long as its turned against the "right people".

I do wonder on similar crappy treatment in the Texas cities...might that not build support for him there? Giving those city hipsters whats coming, protecting the state, etc....
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 20, 2020, 05:45:07 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2020, 05:15:22 PM
I'm just failing to see how anyone can be okay with what's happening in the US re: federal law enforcement refusing to listen to/ignoring state guidance on how to treat their citizens. So far it's Portland. Chicago later this week. Where to next? It sure as hell won't be Houston or Jacksonville. He needs those states.

This is not okay. This is what fascism looks and feels like.

I certainly would not belittle your underlying sentiment (in fact, I agree with it)...but I think it is also import to make it clear that this about the those issues that brought this present federal/local confrontation about.  The comparison won't seem fair, but the bolded bit, in isolation, could easily have been used by segregationists themselves in Little Rock circa 1957...and they likewise would have called it fascism.

But still, you're not wrong.  Use of federal authority had its time and place in enforcing justice and freedom.  Perhaps this time it is something state and local authorities need to assert...and it just that America has turned upside down.

The comparison isn't lost on me, and in fact came to mind even as I typed that.

But in Selma, no one was maced, beaten, or thrown into an unmarked vehicle with unmarked officers and kept for hours without anyone reading their rights.

I'd argue that that's the biggest difference.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on July 20, 2020, 04:45:52 PM
Stop your flailing. You know I'm not calling you a liar, I'm implying that you are holding a ridiculous position, one so comic it must be a sly satire of sorts in your reflexive defense of these exciting new secret police Trump has deployed.

Stop telling me I'll do something I just said I wouldn't and I'll stop flailing.

jimmy olsen

Not sure I'd trust Philly police to comply. State police or national guard might be needed

https://mobile.twitter.com/Will_Bunch/status/1285317860299071494

Philly DA Larry Krasner, in statement on Trump possibly sending federal law-enforcement here, said his dad and uncles fought fascism in WWII. "Anyone, including federal law enforcement, who unlawfully assaults and kidnaps people will face criminal charges from my office," he says
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

The last thing we need is National Guard battling DHS.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2020, 01:49:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2020, 12:29:35 PM
I don't have any direct evidence of damage to federal property either.  Shall we make it a simple empirical question of damage/no damage?  My stance would change significantly if there were no damage (or the imminent threat of damage).  Would your stance change?

The one Federal building in downtown Portland was fenced off more than a month ago. There is no imminent threat of damage to that building, and hasn't been for over six weeks.

Does that change your stance?

A quick Google says that there are at least five federal buildings in downtown Portland:

Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building
Gus J. Solomon United States Courthouse
Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse
National Water and Climate Center
Pioneer Courthouse

Which of these is the "one Federal building" you thought was there?  Clearly, the courthouses are not protected by the fencing you mention, because one of them was attacked last night (though only to the extent that the protesters symbolically blocked the doors with fencing).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

I only knew of the Hatfield Building. It's the one that was fenced off. I thought the Pioneer was a state building.

The Wyatt is far from the protests. The Soloman has been untouched. Can't find the National Water and Climate Center. No idea what that is.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

QuoteSpeaking to reporters at the White House on Monday, Trump identified New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore and Oakland as places in need of federal agents, describing those cities' mayors as "liberal Democrats".

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on July 21, 2020, 03:04:53 AM
QuoteSpeaking to reporters at the White House on Monday, Trump identified New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore and Oakland as places in need of federal agents, describing those cities' mayors as "liberal Democrats".
Yeah. He's going to send these forces to cities with Democratic mayors and Democratic governors, because he doesn't really care about protecting federal property. He just wants to gee-up the situation so he can run on "law and order".
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Also, Fox News has just found out that race riots are good for the economy. Keep America Great!

Tamas

celedhring

Sheilbh

On the staunch defenders of federal property, the acting DHS Secretary: "Because we don't have that local support, that local law enforcement support, we are having to go out and proactively arrest individuals, and we need to do that because we need to hold them accountable." :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 21, 2020, 07:54:18 PM
On the staunch defenders of federal property, the acting DHS Secretary: "Because we don't have that local support, that local law enforcement support, we are having to go out and proactively arrest individuals, and we need to do that because we need to hold them accountable." :mellow:

In other news, Trump still walks free.
Que le grand cric me croque !