The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 17, 2020, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2020, 11:16:22 AM
That video is extraordinary. Unbadged, unidentified federal security forces picking people up and apparently arresting them (without reading their rights) - again imagine how the US media would report this in any other country :blink:

For some of us 'Mericans...that might be the most scary thing.  We've often thought of our freedom as part of an American "exceptionalism"...with actions like these being a frightening sign of becoming just "any other country".

Don't you mean worse than a lot of countries instead of any other country? Because that shit doesn't happen in Canada, Japan, France, Germany etc ad nauseam.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on July 17, 2020, 06:04:34 PM
That video is extraordinary. Unbadged, unidentified federal security forces picking people up and apparently arresting them (without reading their rights) - again imagine how the US media would report this in any other country :blink:

For some of us 'Mericans...that might be the most scary thing.  We've often thought of our freedom as part of an American "exceptionalism"...with actions like these being a frightening sign of becoming just "any other country".

Don't you mean worse than a lot of countries instead of any other country? Because that shit doesn't happen in Canada, Japan, France, Germany etc ad nauseam.

Well not yet. It wasn't long ago that this wasn't happening in America.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

To be fair, I'm sure similar things likely happened in the Prohibition era, and perhaps anytime during J. Edgar Hoover's tenure.

Of course, far worse things were happening in Germany, Japan, and maybe France during those times. 

Syt

Supposedly the federal agents in Portland (who haven't been requested by the city, or have even met the mayor) are operating as part of PACT.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/07/01/dhs-announces-new-task-force-protect-american-monuments-memorials-and-statues#:~:text=WASHINGTON%E2%80%94%20Today,%20Acting%20Secretary%20of,,%20memorials,%20statues,%20and%20federal

QuoteDHS Announces New Task Force to Protect American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues

WASHINGTON— Today, Acting Secretary of Homeland Security, Chad F. Wolf, announced the establishment of the DHS Protecting American Communities Task Force (PACT), a special task force to coordinate Departmental law enforcement agency assets in protecting our nation's historic monuments, memorials, statues, and federal facilities.

"DHS is answering the President's call to use our law enforcement personnel across the country to protect our historic landmarks," said Acting Secretary Wolf. "We won't stand idly by while violent anarchists and rioters seek not only to vandalize and destroy the symbols of our nation, but to disrupt law and order and sow chaos in our communities."

On June 26th, President Trump issued an Executive Order to ensure that our historic monuments and statues will be protected. The Order, "Protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues and Combating Recent Criminal Activity," directs DHS, within its statutory authority, to provide personnel to assist with the protection of federal monuments, memorials, statues, or property.

As a result, DHS created the PACT, which will conduct ongoing assessments of potential civil unrest or destruction and allocate resources to protect people and property. This may involve potential surge activity to ensure the continuing protection of critical locations. DHS's Office of Operations Coordination will also partner closely with the Departments of Justice and Interior to establish information and intelligence sharing.

"As we approach the July 4th holiday, I have directed the deployment and pre-positioning of Rapid Deployment Teams (RDT) across the country to respond to potential threats to facilities and property," said Acting Secretary Wolf. "While the Department respects every American's right to protest peacefully, violence and civil unrest will not be tolerated."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2020, 06:15:13 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 17, 2020, 06:04:34 PM

Well not yet. It wasn't long ago that this wasn't happening in America.
Can't happen. The Queen would rise and banish all the bad people with a movement of her scepter.  Or something like that.  I've heard numerous times how we are so much better with a monarchy than a Republican system, from Federalists, so it's got to be true.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

https://twitter.com/DHS_Wolf/status/1284095516276592641?s=20

QuoteActing Secretary Chad Wolf
@DHS_Wolf
Our men and women in uniform are patriots. We will never surrender to violent extremists on my watch.

https://twitter.com/DHS_Wolf/status/1284095525122453504?s=20

QuoteActing Secretary Chad Wolf
@DHS_Wolf
Here is what I saw in Portland yesterday.

Call me crazy, but I feel like this paramilitary nonsense might be a bit exaggerated for some graffiti.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

It just reinforces my view that DHS needs to be immolated.

We should be able to mock the Russian camouflage-wearing internal security services* without hypocrisy.  :mad:

*And at least they have the fucking basic courtesy of wearing a camouflage pattern that is distinctly different from the regular military.  Back when I did a stint as a unit deployment manager, I was unable to equip deployers to Afghanistan with as much swag as those guys have.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 18, 2020, 06:15:46 AM
*And at least they have the fucking basic courtesy of wearing a camouflage pattern that is distinctly different from the regular military.  Back when I did a stint as a unit deployment manager, I was unable to equip deployers to Afghanistan with as much swag as those guys have.
Show some respect, they're facing the very real threat of graffiti :o
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Wake me when mirrored pics of their backs make me giggle.

Tamas

Also bonus points for wearing a mask outside bot not inside.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

How many parts of the Bill of Rights can we violate at once, the game!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017