The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2020, 10:30:02 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on July 03, 2020, 09:39:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2020, 12:32:58 AM
So protests and BLM have largely disappeared from headlines. I assume systemic racism is fixed, then? :)

So the choice is between breaking shit and getting heard, and protesting peacefully and not getting heard.

Have any violent protests achieved anything between nothing and regime change?

Violent and nonviolent protests often happen at the same time.  So it's hard to tell if the violent or the non-violent protests were the ones that influenced change.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on July 03, 2020, 09:53:16 PM
3 dumbass Colorado police officers fired

Some kind of IQ test should be required before hiring...

From the article:

Quote"All of the officers involved were ordered to give interviews on very short notice, without proper preparation, outside of their normal work hours, had their phones confiscated and downloaded, and then were given an abbreviated and defective file review process," the union's statement said.

That's fucking rich. Is the union really complaining that they didn't give the officers enough time to let them get their lies straight? Why do you need proper preparation?

What a weird dystopia the US has become  :(

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on July 03, 2020, 11:02:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 03, 2020, 09:53:16 PM
3 dumbass Colorado police officers fired

Some kind of IQ test should be required before hiring...

From the article:

Quote"All of the officers involved were ordered to give interviews on very short notice, without proper preparation, outside of their normal work hours, had their phones confiscated and downloaded, and then were given an abbreviated and defective file review process," the union's statement said.

That's fucking rich. Is the union really complaining that they didn't give the officers enough time to let them get their lies straight? Why do you need proper preparation?

In the wake of the George Floyd killing it was mentioned in some news pieces about the way that police shielded its members from the consequences of investigations that some of those privileges involved deferring testimony to a time of their choosing, almost assuredly to agree on a common version of the events by all officers involved.

grumbler

Cops union whining about cops being treated the way they treat others:  :moon:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on July 03, 2020, 11:02:22 PM

you should look at your own country of adoption my friend.  That's standard m.o. for unions.  In any field.  Just look at any case involving racial incident or drunk drivers with Montreal's blue collars' union.

That the positive side of unionism after all, defending workers rights against the corrupt elites.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

The German interior minister has canceled a study about whether there's racial profiling in the German police, explaining that racial profiling is not permitted, and therefore the study is not necessary. He pointed to a few token actions to work against right wing extremism within the police and said that if anyone feels they've been racially profiled by the police they can go and file a complaint with the police.

:hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I suppose Germans always has had a bit of cognitive dissonance when it comes to apparatus of authority.

Tamas

Plus he might have rightly concluded that the brief fashion craze with BLM has passed.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 05, 2020, 12:49:14 PM
Plus he might have rightly concluded that the brief fashion craze with BLM has passed.

Yeah, I'm so glad we are done tackling racism...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2020, 10:50:45 AM

Just like we defeated the Coronavirus.  Now onto the real problem, statue desecration. 
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on July 06, 2020, 10:58:19 AM

Just like we defeated the Coronavirus.  Now onto the real problem, statue desecration. 

Here's where we can start.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/06/frederick-douglass-statue-torn-down-rochester-new-york-anniversary-july-4-speech

QuoteFrederick Douglass statue torn down on anniversary of great speech

A statue of the great abolitionist Frederick Douglass was torn from its base in Rochester, New York on Sunday, 168 years to the day since the city was the setting for one of his greatest speeches, What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?

The statue stood in Maplewood Park, a site on the Underground Railroad, the network through which Douglass and Harriet Tubman, both escaped slaves themselves, and others helped ferry people enslaved in southern states to freedom in the north.

One of 13 statues which were placed around Rochester in 2018, the 200th anniversary of Douglass's birth, the monument was found next to a river gorge, about 50ft from its pedestal, police said. The base and a finger were damaged.

Carvin Eison, who worked on the project which brought the statues to the city, told the Democrat & Chronicle newspaper: "It's particularly painful that it happened at this time ... It's really sad because here in Rochester the statue of Frederick Douglass has always been a face of good."

The statue would be replaced, he said.

Since the killing of George Floyd, an African American man, in Minneapolis on 25 May prompted nationwide protests against police brutality and structural racism, statues of Confederate leaders and others with outdated views on race have been targeted for protest, vandalism and removal.

Donald Trump has placed himself at the head of a counter-movement, defending Confederate heritage and, over the Fourth of July weekend, calling for the creation of his own sculpture park, or "National Garden of American Heroes", in defiance of supposed "far-left fascism".

Though the perpetrators of the Rochester removal remain unknown, in a Monday morning tweet, Trump said it showed "these anarchists have no bounds!" and linked to a piece by the far-right Breitbart News.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

And all it took was a few hashtags, and some thoughtful rebranding of products. If only we knew earlier!

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 06, 2020, 11:03:23 AM

And all it took was a few hashtags, and some thoughtful rebranding of products. If only we knew earlier!
:rolleyes: ^ :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.