The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2020, 04:02:02 PM
The same part that we read as no more statues of slave owners.
Right - but with that I can point to people who are campaigning on that issue and it's been a theme since Charlottesville (and I actually wonder how much of this was Bristol re-igniting that in an internet/social media world). I haven't seen anyone saying we need to be going through TV shows and removing episodes.

It just seems like companies sort of wanting to do something, and this is something, rather than them doing it in response to literally any pressure.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

It's normally better to remove a risk before it becomes a problem. Why expose yourself to risk?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 29, 2020, 04:06:16 PM
Right - but with that I can point to people who are campaigning on that issue and it's been a theme since Charlottesville (and I actually wonder how much of this was Bristol re-igniting that in an internet/social media world). I haven't seen anyone saying we need to be going through TV shows and removing episodes.

It just seems like companies sort of wanting to do something, and this is something, rather than them doing it in response to literally any pressure.

I have seen plenty of people say black face is verbotten.

The Brain

I wonder if Mad Men still streams with the blackface scene or not. They took the show off my Netflix recently so I can't check.

Valmy

Blackface? Yes. Women wearing mud facemasks? No.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2020, 03:44:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:40:46 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2020, 03:37:35 PM
Valmy, they've come for your Golden Girls.  Hulu has pulled a blackface* episode.

*mud mask, but there's a quip about "we're not really black".

When did the Golden Girls become mine? :P

You mentioned watching the show in the past so now in my mind it's linked you you hah

Well then here's some good news for Valmy:

Protesters set up guillotine in front of Jeff Bezos' DC home: reports

Aux armes citoyens. :frog:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 04:13:22 PM
Blackface? Yes. Women wearing mud facemasks? No.
Sure - but, and maybe I'm missing it, I've not seen anyone calling for existing shows to be withdrawn. There are some that already have been culturally - you won't find certain British sitcoms from the 70s streaming for example. They've been memory-holed over the years because they were just racist rather than because of a campaign about it.

Maybe I'm missing this strand of activists running around campaigning for the removal of old Golden Girls episodes but I just don't get where it's come from really.

Edit: Except for corporations wanting to do "something" to support the protests.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:51:37 PM

One of the things I don't like about streaming services is the ability to do this kind of post-editing. They will just drop episodes or scenes and it is like they have been removed from history. Disney has been doing that with the old Simpsons episodes I hear and it is kind of disconcerting I think.

Don't throw out your DVDs quite yet.

:yes:

A new raison d'être for physical media! It's not like choice for "old" movies and shows was great on legal streaming anyways.
Keep your Star Wars Laserdics, just in case you don't have access to the net.  :whistle:

PS: blu-ray is nice too.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 29, 2020, 04:26:18 PM
Sure - but, and maybe I'm missing it, I've not seen anyone calling for existing shows to be withdrawn. There are some that already have been culturally - you won't find certain British sitcoms from the 70s streaming for example. They've been memory-holed over the years because they were just racist rather than because of a campaign about it.

Maybe I'm missing this strand of activists running around campaigning for the removal of old Golden Girls episodes but I just don't get where it's come from really.

Edit: Except for corporations wanting to do "something" to support the protests.

I haven't seen any campaigns calling for professional women who wear black face to mock Megyn Kelly to be sent home from Halloween parties either, but when it happens it happens.

Like Hillary said, they're obviously doing it as a preemptive move because once the Twitter screaming starts it's too late.

The Brain

Almost no one will be very upset over some episodes or scenes being removed. Quite a few people could conceivably be very upset if anything that may resemble controversial stuff remains. Seems like a simple choice to me, minimizing risk for a business.

Oexmelin

No. In fact, some of my activist friends are furious about it, precisely because it's so ridiculous and risks derailing the conversation.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 29, 2020, 04:28:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2020, 03:51:37 PM

One of the things I don't like about streaming services is the ability to do this kind of post-editing. They will just drop episodes or scenes and it is like they have been removed from history. Disney has been doing that with the old Simpsons episodes I hear and it is kind of disconcerting I think.

Don't throw out your DVDs quite yet.

:yes:

A new raison d'être for physical media! It's not like choice for "old" movies and shows was great on legal streaming anyways.
Keep your Star Wars Laserdics, just in case you don't have access to the net.  :whistle:

PS: blu-ray is nice too.

Huh. As usual I have no idea if you are being sarcastic or not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 29, 2020, 04:43:01 PM

No. In fact, some of my activist friends are furious about it, precisely because it's so ridiculous and risks derailing the conversation.
Yeah - as I say I wonder if the US protests (which are far better focused than in the UK) would have gone down the cultural direction without Bristol which resonated on social media.

It reminds me of Charlottesville - we spent about two days talking about white supremacist terrorism and then moved on to statues.
Let's bomb Russia!

fromtia

Like many of you, I'm absolutely confounded by this bizarre removing of TV shows from netflix and youtubers cancelling themselves and so on. Where on earth is this coming from? Mighty Boosh is off netflix because of The Spirit of Jazz? Bizzarre.

I'm all about taking down statues of people that attacked the United States, inside the United States, especially as they were determined to own other Americans, but how that's transmutated into this curious performance on streaming services and social media I have no clue. Jenna Marbles has cancelled herself? What?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

fromtia

People: police reform!

Democrats: We kneel in Kente Cloth and ban Chokeholds!

People: That's not what we asked for!

Netflix: Mighty Boosh is gone away!!!

People: wtf?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.