The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I think maybe the statement dissociating himself from his son's comments isn't the place to lavish compliments.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2020, 02:56:44 PM
What's wrong with the first one?

He called the person who advocated for dragging a black driver around the pits by a noose an amazing man.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2020, 03:13:46 PM
Quote from: PRC on June 23, 2020, 03:08:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2020, 02:56:44 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 23, 2020, 08:25:24 AM
I think Mike Skinner put out a more resolutely condemning statement, once his PR person returned the call.

What's wrong with the first one?  How strongly must a father publicly denounce his own son on social media?

Hard to reconcile the father calling the son an "amazing man and amazing father" with that amazing man saying the driver should be noosed and pulled around the pits.

It's his own son though.

Well, you wouldn't expect him to unconditionally condemn his own son, but you'd not expect him to unconditionally applaud his racist comments and say that they are signs of an "amazing man and amazing father," either.  Conditional condemnation is the minimum required of a decent human being.

As Sheilbh says, an "amazing man and amazing father" would absolutely disown the less-than-amazing son and man for making such vicious comments.  This isn't the time or place for "there are god people on both sides" arguments.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

An amazing father's son wouldn't make such comments, but if he did wouldn't be disowned either. It's not like he killed someone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Standby, Seattle is going to be clearing CHOP soon.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on June 23, 2020, 04:24:28 PM
How has NASCAR responded to this?
To the noose incident, it responded as well as possible, actually, though you can't help but wonder how much of that is just cynical virtue signalling.  As far as the Skinner dude, I don't think he's even involved in NASCAR, he's a complete nobody on his own merits.  He did get fired by his cocaine trafficking brother from his job.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fromtia

Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2020, 06:15:45 PM
Standby, Seattle is going to be clearing CHOP soon.

The Paris Commune cosplay gone south? What a dumpster fire.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2020, 06:44:13 PM
No charges in noose case.

Yep.  It was there long before Wallace was assigned (last week) to that garage.  It's a loop that looks like a noose, but not a noose, and it's on the end of the garage door pull-down rope.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Apparently took 15 FBI investigators to figure that out. Glad it wasn't what some thought it was.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2020, 08:08:59 PM
Apparently took 15 FBI investigators to figure that out. Glad it wasn't what some thought it was.

I miss Seedy on posts like this.  :cry:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Actually, I am glad that it wasn't what some people thought it was.  I'd much rather hear about imaginary racism than real racism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Apparently, I don't know how many FBI investigators I should have expected it to take, given that you seem to think that 15 was either much too large a number, or much too small a number.  What range of numbers would not have prompted you to post about the numbers at all, and why is 15 a noteworthy number?

Bayraktar!