The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 23, 2020, 07:04:24 AM
Fucking hell.

First I thought it was just some random twitter idiot, but he's the son of the yank Stig?

alfred russel

I'm genuinely confused why someone would conclude Bubba Wallace single handedly destroyed NASCAR.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2020, 08:06:01 AM
I'm genuinely confused why someone would conclude Bubba Wallace single handedly destroyed NASCAR.
He got the Confederate flags banned.

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on June 23, 2020, 07:49:08 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 23, 2020, 07:04:24 AM
Fucking hell.

First I thought it was just some random twitter idiot, but he's the son of the yank Stig?

Quote"Dustin Skinner Is my son and he's an amazing father and amazing man he's also a full-grown adult his views are not the same as Angie and myself we support Bubba have his whole career we don't like what's going on in our country anymore than anybody else"

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on June 23, 2020, 08:12:38 AM

So many opinions on that...but the first one is...if confederate flags made nascar awesome, can't he just sit in a room with confederate flags and experience the same awesome? He could even invite his friends over. If there is a unique synergy that makes confederate flags and auto racing awesome, can't he just go to his local dirt track or something, which I really doubt bans confederate flags?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

I think Mike Skinner put out a more resolutely condemning statement, once his PR person returned the call.

Maladict

Quote from: DGuller on June 23, 2020, 08:25:24 AM
I think Mike Skinner put out a more resolutely condemning statement, once his PR person returned the call.

Yeah he did, and indeed obviously directed by someone else. Not a great look.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on June 23, 2020, 08:12:38 AM

Plus he is black.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Maladict on June 23, 2020, 08:28:05 AM

Yeah he did, and indeed obviously directed by someone else. Not a great look.

And too late for his Wikipedia page....  :P

QuoteDustin Skinner (born April 20, 1985) is an American former stock car racing driver. He has competed in one NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race, in 2008 at Martinsville Speedway. He is the son of Mike Skinner. He is also a racist cry baby.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on June 23, 2020, 06:02:11 AM
QuoteFBI investigates after noose found in garage of Bubba Wallace, Nascar's only black driver
Driver has campaigned to ban Confederate flag at events
Alabama governor condemns 'mark this leaves on our state'
it's certainly the right approach to prove the flag is not a racist symbol...  :wacko:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

To rebound on Syt's excellent article from a former cop, the text Valmy wanted so much to talk about... :P

Here's another point of view about defunding the police, or simply governing ourselves without police:
This California city defunded its police force. Killings by officers soared

QuoteTwelve years ago, officials in Vallejo, Calif., reluctantly took a step that activists are now urging in cities across the country: They defunded their police department.

Unable to pay its bills after the 2008 financial crisis, Vallejo filed for bankruptcy and cut its police force nearly in half — to fewer than 80 officers, from a pre-recession high of more than 150. At the time, the working-class city of 122,000 north of San Francisco struggled with high rates of violent crime and simmering mistrust of its police department. It didn't seem like things could get much worse.

And then they did. Far from ushering in a new era of harmony between police and the people they are sworn to protect, the budget cuts worsened tensions between the department and the community and were followed by a dramatic surge in officers' use of deadly force. Since 2009 the police have killed 20 people, an extraordinarily high number for such a small city. In 2012 alone, officers fatally shot six suspects. Nearly a third of the city's homicides that year were committed by law enforcement.

[...]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

What's wrong with the first one?  How strongly must a father publicly denounce his own son on social media?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2020, 02:56:44 PM

What's wrong with the first one?  How strongly must a father publicly denounce his own son on social media?

Hard to reconcile the father calling the son an "amazing man and amazing father" with that amazing man saying the driver should be noosed and pulled around the pits.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on June 23, 2020, 03:08:48 PM

Hard to reconcile the father calling the son an "amazing man and amazing father" with that amazing man saying the driver should be noosed and pulled around the pits.

It's his own son though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2020, 03:13:46 PM
Quote from: PRC on June 23, 2020, 03:08:48 PM

It's his own son though.
Got to be honest, I think my dad would absolutely disown me if I was saluting guys who put a noose in a black person's dressing room and saying I wished they'd tied him and up and dragged him around with it.
Let's bomb Russia!