The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 03:37:29 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2020, 03:35:33 PM
The Economist had a blurb about boogaloos wearing Hawaiian shirts as a marker, which is sacriligeous.  :mad:
Yeah - boogaloo to boogaluau to Hawaiian shirts (I assume they err on the big fat party animal wing of white supremacy).

I find the ongoing relationship between memes and reality kind of fascinating.
Another one they use is "Big Igloo"

Valmy

Interesting how they are committed to killing other Americans in a big war but cannot seem to agree with who they are going to fight and what exactly they are fighting them for. Just a general feeling of hatred and a desire to kill that lacks any specific purpose. Truly psychos without a cause.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2020, 03:35:33 PM
The Economist had a blurb about boogaloos wearing Hawaiian shirts as a marker, which is sacriligeous.  :mad:

Don't worry, it makes them easier to see.

:P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 10:22:52 PM
Interesting how they are committed to killing other Americans in a big war but cannot seem to agree with who they are going to fight and what exactly they are fighting them for. Just a general feeling of hatred and a desire to kill that lacks any specific purpose. Truly psychos without a cause.

Sounds like the far right over here.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: PRC on June 16, 2020, 07:26:23 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2020, 06:00:16 PM
I have a definite recollection of Roger Ebert giving a favorable review to Breakin' 2.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/breakin-2-electric-boogaloo-1984

3 out of 4 stars.  I really enjoyed Eberts reviews and his blog after losing his voice, but this was not his finest hour.

Back in the time he was the first American movie reviewer I followed, and he has many low points like this one sadly. I definitely remember him liking Speed 2, too.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

I have a definite recollection of Roger Ebert giving a favorable review to Breakin' 2.

3 out of 4 stars.  I really enjoyed Eberts reviews and his blog after losing his voice, but this was not his finest hour.

Well, it was not Golan-Globus' finest hour but still way more watchable than King Lear.

Tamas

Apparently there's a Churchill statue somewhere in Budapest (to be fair, there is also a Bud Spencer one), and somebody painted "Nazi" and "BLM" on it.

This whole long process of the birth of a global culture is sort of fascinating. Too bad these are just the initial periods of it, and I won't live to see it mature.

Going to be still around for its violent clashes with local cultures though, it seems.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 17, 2020, 03:51:17 AM

Back in the time he was the first American movie reviewer I followed, and he has many low points like this one sadly. I definitely remember him liking Speed 2, too.  :lol:

IIRC, he actually published compilations of old reviews in which he grossly messed up, either bad movies he praised or good movies he bashed.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2020, 04:33:56 AM
Apparently there's a Churchill statue somewhere in Budapest (to be fair, there is also a Bud Spencer one),

:lol:

Why? Was he big in Hungary?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

My favourite surprising statue is the Bruce Lee statue in Mostar:

I think part of the reason behind it was sort of post-modern art project, but also to avoid questions of what he did during the war. Inevitably, being Bosnia, both Bosnians and Croats complained about the initial plans because they thought he was facing their direction in a fighting stance. So he was rotated to face a neutral direction :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

The Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies were absolutely massive in Hungary, they are still shown every public holiday on TV. Of course excellent dubbing always helps in these cases, but still

celedhring

They were really popular in Spain when I was a kid. Me and my friends at school used to punch each other trying to get the same punching sound in their movies  :lol:

Not very edifying, I know.

Syt

They were huge in Germany, too. The dubbing was insane, but Italians informed me it's quite accurate. :D

There's also a well reviewed game on Steam that covers their movie exploits: https://store.steampowered.com/app/564050/Bud_Spencer__Terence_Hill__Slaps_And_Beans/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Replace all the Confederate statues with Trinity Statues.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM