The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 16, 2020, 02:52:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 02:49:59 PM
Boogaloo? As in American Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo?

Apparently, yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogaloo_movement

QuoteNaming and identity
The term boogaloo alludes to the 1984 cult film Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, an unsuccessful sequel to a poorly reviewed predecessor.[2] Following the film's release, the phrase "2: Electric Boogaloo" became a verbal template appended to a topic as a signal of pejorative parody.[17] The boogaloo movement adopted its identity based on the anticipation of a second American Civil War, popularly known as "Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo" among adherents.[5][18]

Golan-Globus and Cannon rule!  :lol:

Admiral Yi

The Economist had a blurb about boogaloos wearing Hawaiian shirts as a marker, which is sacriligeous.  :mad:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2020, 03:35:33 PM
The Economist had a blurb about boogaloos wearing Hawaiian shirts as a marker, which is sacriligeous.  :mad:
Yeah - boogaloo to boogaluau to Hawaiian shirts (I assume they err on the big fat party animal wing of white supremacy).

I find the ongoing relationship between memes and reality kind of fascinating.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Meanwhile, in Austria...

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/16/austrian-police-defend-decision-to-fine-man-after-provocative-fart?__twitter_impression=true

QuoteAustrian police defend decision to fine man after 'provocative' fart

A man in Vienna has been fined €500 (£447) for breaking wind loudly in front of police in a move the Austrian capital's police force was at pains to defend.

The Österreich newspaper reported that the penalty stemmed from an incident on 5 June and that the offender was fined for offending public decency.

City police wrote on Twitter that "of course no one is reported for accidentally letting one go".

They added that the man had behaved provocatively and uncooperatively during an encounter with officers that preceded the incident.

He got up from a park bench, looked at officers and "let go a massive intestinal wind apparently with full intent", they said.

Police noted that the decision could be appealed against.

Will be interesting how the courts decide. Recently, a court canceled a fine after a man used the word "Oida" towards a policeman. The word, meaning "old one" can be a pejorative way to address someone, but is more often used as an exclamation of frustration or exasperation. A few years ago a court upheld a fine against a guy intentionally burping into a policewoman's face from up close.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 03:37:29 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2020, 03:35:33 PM
Yeah - boogaloo to boogaluau to Hawaiian shirts (I assume they err on the big fat party animal wing of white supremacy).

I find the ongoing relationship between memes and reality kind of fascinating.

The morphing of the term happened after Facebook blocked Boogaloo groups.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2020, 03:48:21 PM
Meanwhile, in Austria...

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/16/austrian-police-defend-decision-to-fine-man-after-provocative-fart?__twitter_impression=true

QuoteAustrian police defend decision to fine man after 'provocative' fart

A man in Vienna has been fined €500 (£447) for breaking wind loudly in front of police in a move the Austrian capital's police force was at pains to defend.

The Österreich newspaper reported that the penalty stemmed from an incident on 5 June and that the offender was fined for offending public decency.

City police wrote on Twitter that "of course no one is reported for accidentally letting one go".

They added that the man had behaved provocatively and uncooperatively during an encounter with officers that preceded the incident.

He got up from a park bench, looked at officers and "let go a massive intestinal wind apparently with full intent", they said.

Police noted that the decision could be appealed against.

Will be interesting how the courts decide. Recently, a court canceled a fine after a man used the word "Oida" towards a policeman. The word, meaning "old one" can be a pejorative way to address someone, but is more often used as an exclamation of frustration or exasperation. A few years ago a court upheld a fine against a guy intentionally burping into a policewoman's face from up close.

I got kicked out of a cab for farting.

Josquius

I dunno. The fart thing sounds fair enough. Seems like the difference between natural saliva, needing to blow your nose, etc.... And spitting on someone. Assuming the police are being truthful.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

"Chokeholds would be banned under the recommended standards, Mr. Trump said, unless an officer's life is at risk."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-signs-policing-executive-order-11592325988

They were never authorized before period. Now they are. Way to go dumbass.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

I have a definite recollection of Roger Ebert giving a favorable review to Breakin' 2.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Update from Buffalo:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/16/us/martin-gugino-protester-skull/index.html
Quote(CNN)Martin Gugino, the 75-year-old protester who was pushed by two Buffalo, New York, police officers earlier this month, has a fractured skull and is not able to walk, his lawyer said in a statement provided to CNN on Monday.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

He won't do it but I really wish he would sue Trump for defamation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PRC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2020, 06:00:16 PM
I have a definite recollection of Roger Ebert giving a favorable review to Breakin' 2.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/breakin-2-electric-boogaloo-1984

3 out of 4 stars.  I really enjoyed Eberts reviews and his blog after losing his voice, but this was not his finest hour.

Admiral Yi

Pelosi has given the Congressional Black Caucus the job of drafting the House police reform bill.  That's smart politics.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2020, 08:36:52 PM
Pelosi has given the Congressional Black Caucus the job of drafting the House police reform bill.  That's smart politics.

Indeed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."