The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Every day is the anniversary of something.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/12/boris-johnson-says-removing-statues-is-to-lie-about-our-history-george-floyd

QuoteBoris Johnson has said removing statues of controversial figures is "to lie about our history", as he argued that national protests in the wake of the death of George Floyd in the US had been taken over by extremists.

In a lengthy Twitter thread in response to to the boarding up of the Cenotaph in Whitehall and Winston Churchill's statue in Parliament Square, the prime minister expressed anger at the targeting of monuments.

Scaffolding was erected around the Churchill statue, the Cenotaph on Whitehall and statues of George Washington and King James II on Trafalgar Square late on Thursday evening on the order of the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, amid concerns they could be targeted by protesters and become a focal point for unrest.

Black Lives Matters organisers have called off a planned protest in Hyde Park on Saturday, warning that "many hate groups" from the far right were threatening the safety of those planning to attend.

Johnson claimed that the Black Lives Matters protests "have been sadly hijacked by extremists intent on violence", and he said attacks on police last weekend were "intolerable" and "abhorrent".

He said: "We all understand the legitimate feelings of outrage at what happened in Minnesota and the legitimate desire to protest against discrimination. Whatever progress this country has made in fighting racism – and it has been huge – we all recognise that there is much more work to do."

But on the campaigns to remove statues and other monuments honouring slave-owners and imperialist figures following the toppling of a statue of Edward Colston in Bristol on Sunday, Johnson made it clear he opposed such moves.

"We cannot now try to edit or censor our past," he said. "We cannot pretend to have a different history. The statues in our cities and towns were put up by previous generations. They had different perspectives, different understandings of right and wrong. But those statues teach us about our past, with all its faults. To tear them down would be to lie about our history, and impoverish the education of generations to come."

Johnson said it was "absurd and shameful" that Churchill's statue had to be protected, calling it "a permanent reminder of his achievement in saving this country – and the whole of Europe – from a fascist and racist tyranny."

He added: "Yes, he sometimes expressed opinions that were and are unacceptable to us today, but he was a hero, and he fully deserves his memorial."

:zzz
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 12, 2020, 07:04:44 AM

Yeah, if you're looking at the entire nation, but not if you're just looking at one city.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

As some of you said earlier, what would be welcome is a general move away from deifying humans, and instead erecting statues commemorating principles or events.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 12, 2020, 07:20:24 AM

Yeah, if you're looking at the entire nation, but not if you're just looking at one city.

What makes you think Stephen Miller decides when the GOP hold their convention?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 12, 2020, 10:04:39 AM

Well, there could certainly be someone saying "You know, given the present times, maybe this isn't a good thing."  Of course, there is nobody in the Administration who cares.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2020, 07:39:14 AM
As some of you said earlier, what would be welcome is a general move away from deifying humans, and instead erecting statues commemorating principles or events.

Personified principles sure tend to have better tits than historical leaders.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

I think we're so hyping down Trump's upcoming speech that when the time actually comes, even calling for a genocide would beat expectations and thus not sound so bad.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2020, 11:50:22 AM
I think we're so hyping down Trump's upcoming speech that when the time actually comes, even calling for a genocide would beat expectations and thus not sound so bad.

I hope there will be a "some of my best friends are black" line.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2020, 11:51:44 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2020, 11:50:22 AM

I hope there will be a "some of my best friends are black" line.
He already did a roundtable with some of his black friends :lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

He already said he's the president who did the most for blacks except, maybe, Lincoln.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 12, 2020, 10:04:39 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 12, 2020, 07:20:24 AM

I think it's silly to think that he doesn't have input on where it's held. Had that been held somewhere else, it wouldn't be an issue.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

So my department issued standardized face masks to all civilian and military LE. Can you guess what color?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2020, 02:53:24 PM
So my department issued standardized face masks to all civilian and military LE. Can you guess what color?

Chartreuse?  Vermillion?  Aquamarine?

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2020, 02:53:24 PM

Gold?

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."