The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Moving controversial statues to museums would seem to satsify both sides, when you're talking about not destroying history. As for public spaces that people cannot choose to ignore not having statues that make people throw up in their mouths seems nice. That being said, it should take more than a flash mob to move statues, the rule of law is actually meaningful and protects people and it is worth defending. Also, there will always be people who hate some statues for all kinds of reasons, it's not enough that someone is deeply offended by a statue for society to decide to remove it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 11, 2020, 06:50:14 AM
Moving controversial statues to museums would seem to satsify both sides, when you're talking about not destroying history. As for public spaces that people cannot choose to ignore not having statues that make people throw up in their mouths seems nice. That being said, it should take more than a flash mob to move statues, the rule of law is actually meaningful and protects people and it is worth defending. Also, there will always be people who hate some statues for all kinds of reasons, it's not enough that someone is deeply offended by a statue for society to decide to remove it.

One added difficulty is that many of these statues are ones that people have wanted removed for years. Unfortunately though, there has been little political will to have them removed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2020, 07:12:21 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 11, 2020, 06:50:14 AM

One added difficulty is that many of these statues are ones that people have wanted removed for years. Unfortunately though, there has been little political will to have them removed.

That is unfortunate. In a functioning democracy the will of the people is carried out.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 11, 2020, 05:32:34 AM
There is still a Léopold II avenue in Paris. OTOH, there is a rue Saint-Just ending in a dead-end (LULZ) parallel to a cemetery. Coincidence?  :tinfoil:
No rue Robespierre before Valmy asks.

PS: some communal "association" called Black African Defense League (sic) called for removing Colbert statues. He is responsible for the Black Code, regulating the status of slaves, and is also the spiritual father of dirigisme , popular among French conservatives.

Are Napoleon monuments getting any heat or would that be a sacred cow too far?

Some of the targets in the UK are just ridiculous - e.g. Peel because he created the first police force.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on June 11, 2020, 11:46:38 AM
Are Napoleon monuments getting any heat or would that be a sacred cow too far?

Some of the targets in the UK are just ridiculous - e.g. Peel because he created the first police force.
Yep. Or Earl Grey because slaveholders were compensated (and it was an enormous amount) on abolition, but it feels harsh to tear his statue down for abolishing slavery in the wrong way.

Also Gladstone who was the son of a slaveholder, gave a pro-slavery maiden speech (in the 1830s), was pro-Confederacy in the 1860s, but is also someone who has a real arc from a stern unbending Tory, to introducing the secret ballot, legalising unions, universal schooling, fights against landlords, home rule in Ireland and generally being a radical old man in a hurry in the 1890s.

I'm more ambivalent about Baden-Powell, but that's probably because I find the Scouts creepy.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I'm not sure I'd be that bothered if we put most of the white men, that we have on literal pedestals, safely in museums.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

It is all but impossible to end a forced labor system without compensation in peacetime. Grey did the necessary evil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2020, 11:58:33 AM
I'm not sure I'd be that bothered if we put most of the white men, that we have on literal pedestals, safely in museums.

Huge statues kind of suck for museums. I personally think statues in public spaces are probably better as allegories, yeah. Just because using people to represent civic virtues gets tricky. No matter how committed said person was to said virtues they are still people with complications.

Liberty leading the people is probably a better symbol than some actual revolutionary figure leading the people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2020, 12:03:16 PM

Huge statues kind of suck for museums. I personally think statues in public spaces are probably better as allegories, yeah. Just because using people to represent civic virtues gets tricky. No matter how committed said person was to said virtues they are still people with complications.

Liberty leading the people is probably a better symbol than some actual revolutionary figure leading the people.

Yep, agree with all of that. It would also help combat against some of the mythologizing we do to figures in the past (see: the Founding Fathers).

derspiess

Wypipo  :thumbsdown:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on June 11, 2020, 11:46:38 AM

Though I have some passing knowledge of Robert Peel, I've gone over his wiki page, and he seems almost impeccable even from a modern perspective.  Even on topics that would be frowned upon by today's standards (opposed to Catholic emancipation) - he eventually reversed himself and led the charge in favour of it.

Good grief.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2020, 12:07:49 PM

Heh. Though sometimes I get a little uncomfortable for how we make MLK the one man civil rights prophet when he was just one cog in a very large machine that comprised thousands of people. I think it creates the false narrative that we need to wait around for some great leader when in reality it was the efforts of thousands over many decades that created the leader and the organization not the other way around, even if there is nothing specifically objectionable about MLK himself (ok there are a few things but nothing like also being responsible for genocide or something).

garbon

I'd be happy to replace some of them with white women. :)

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2020, 12:19:04 PM

I'd be happy to replace some of them with white women. :)

Robert E Lee's daughters.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2020, 12:16:27 PM
Heh. Though sometimes I get a little uncomfortable for how we make MLK the one man civil rights prophet when he was just one cog in a very large machine that comprised thousands of people. I think it creates the false narrative that we need to wait around for some great leader when in reality it was the efforts of thousands over many decades that created the leader and the organization not the other way around, even if there is nothing specifically objectionable about MLK himself.
I was just thinking today how the current BLM movement doesn't center around any one person like MLK. I personally like that because I hate cults of personality, but I think also objectively that's a positive. It makes the movement more resilient.