The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on June 09, 2020, 02:52:55 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2020, 02:21:39 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 09, 2020, 02:20:27 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2020, 02:16:47 PM

I think the police really overestimated the depth of support for them.

They had Mono in their focus group.
It's just such entitled rage at the possibility of maybe being held accountable. It's unbelievable.

They really are the last unreformed bit of the public sector.

They've been told they're heroes for the past 20 years. Doing a dangerous job.

Driver/sales workers and truck drivers: Fatal injuries in 2016: 24.7 per 100,000 workers.

Police and sheriff's patrol officers: Fatal injuries in 2016: 14.6 per 100,000 workers.

So your pizza delivery guy is even more of a hero. Also they rarely choke black people to death on TV.

The US really needs to get over its uniform fetish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

So are we going to really get police reform in this country?  It feels like there is finally some momentum on that front.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2020, 05:44:46 PM
So are we going to really get police reform in this country?  It feels like there is finally some momentum on that front.
If we manage to sideline the "no, no, we really do mean defund the police" idiots, maybe.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2020, 06:14:42 PM
If we manage to sideline the "no, no, we really do mean defund the police" idiots, maybe.

These idiots are the ones who put it in the national conversation. Including by showing up on the other side of rubber bullets. Disagree with them all you want. But maybe with less sneering.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Larch

Yet another victim.  :sleep:

Quote'Cops' Canceled at Paramount Network

"Cops" has officially been canceled at Paramount Network.

Definitive news that the series won't return comes only four days after Variety exclusively reported that it had been pulled from the schedule.

"'Cops' is not on the Paramount Network and we don't have any current or future plans for it to return," a Paramount Network spokesperson said in a statement.

The original decision to hold  "Cops" was spurred by nationwide protests against police brutality following the killing of George Floyd by Minnesota police officers.

"Cops" originally launched on Fox in 1989 and has come under fire in recent years for its depicts law enforcement and questionable behind the scenes practices.

Fox aired 25 seasons of "Cops," pairing it with "America's Most Wanted" on Saturday nights for 14 years. "Most Wanted" moved to Lifetime in 2011 and was eventually canceled. "Cops," meanwhile, got a new lease on life in 2013 when Spike TV ordered new episodes and paired them with repeats. (Spike was rebranded as Paramount Network in 2018.)

At the same time as Paramount Network pulled "Cops" from its plans, A&E removed a similar show in "Live PD" from its schedule "out of respect for the families of George Floyd and others who have lost their lives."

"Live PD" is currently the number one series on cable on Friday and Saturday nights, and follows cops and sheriffs — live, in real time, as they patrol various cities and counties across the country.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

It probably depends on what you mean by really.  I think a number of cities are going to try and adopt the community friendly style of policing described in that NPR story I linked upstream (which, to be cynical, sounds like we'll let you sell drugs as long as you don't murder each other).  A number of cities will try out things like Uck's mental health interveners.  I think public prosecutors will feel the need to go after cops who use force resulting in death.  I don't see elimination of police unions happening.  I also foresee problems with police recruitment, as potential recruits perceive the risks of criminal prosecution as too high.  I understand there are already significant shortfalls in recruiting (which might explain the bad apples being passed from one department to another).  I think police reform is an issue that will still be debated 50 years from now, just like the issue of education reform has never ended and will never end.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BISubA3iqs4

Pretty predictable nonresponses from GOP Senators when asked about Donald's antifa provacateur tweet, but I was a little surprised by the masking rate.

DGuller

I guess they could use some instructions on how to use them, though.  They should cover mouth and nose, not eyes and ears.

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on June 09, 2020, 10:27:25 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 09, 2020, 08:03:32 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 08, 2020, 10:18:44 PM
I'm a little upset that we're I'm being schooled on American Civil Rights history by a Brit and two Canadians. :blush:

I mean, I knew all of that stuff, but if you ask me anything about Canadian or UK civil rights and it's a total blank. :ph34r:

FTFY.  One thing that you should keep in mind is that you can only speak for yourself.

:rolleyes:

Dear lord, the egoes involved on a silly post.

You're right. My apologies. How dare I make a silly post that might say that you Languish people aren't brilliant and knowledgable. Mea culpa.

:lol:  Methinks the lady protest too much. 

Just stay in your lane, and you won't get gigged for saying silly things.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?