The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 08, 2020, 06:33:01 AM
To me, the sadder reflection on modern society is that pretty much everyone there is pointing a camera/mobile phone camera at the event for their later self-aggrandizement on Instragram/Facebook.

I went downtown to document things. I didn't take a single selfie, but I did take a ton of pictures.

I'm glad people are doing more of that. Even with their mean mugs in the photos.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2020, 09:24:32 PM
Personally, I think destroying statues is a sign of a free people. When the American Revolution broke out the people of New York destroyed the statue of George III.

Maybe the statue just tripped and fell.

Also it had a troubled past, probably preexisting conditions.

merithyn

Quote from: Zoupa on June 08, 2020, 11:38:56 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2020, 09:24:32 PM
Personally, I think destroying statues is a sign of a free people. When the American Revolution broke out the people of New York destroyed the statue of George III.

Maybe the statue just tripped and fell.

Also it had a troubled past, probably preexisting conditions.

If they'd have just followed orders, they wouldn't have had any problems. I've never had any problems, and it's because I always follow orders.

Zoupa

It was probably intoxicated. We need to wait for the tox screens to come back.

Tamas

Mob rule, what else than equality could POSSIBLY result from it?

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on June 08, 2020, 12:21:11 PM

zoups ok with it as long as its his mob doing the ruling
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on June 08, 2020, 12:28:43 PM

I mean one man's mob rule is another (better) man's revolution :goodboy:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 08, 2020, 12:50:50 PM

Fair :D

I read that they also graffiti'd a Churchill statue. Where was tyr last night :shifty:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 08, 2020, 12:50:50 PM

I dunno man.  Did you see the video where the Mayor of Minneapolis comes out to talk to the protesters?  But all they wanted him to say is he would defund the police.  He wouldn't agree to that, so the protesters shut down any dialogue and booed him to go home.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I just read an article on what the "defund the police" really means, and how it means not defunding the police.  That may indicate the problem with using this as a slogan.  This is like watching a soccer game where both teams are trying to score into their own goals.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2020, 01:10:53 PM
I just read an article on what the "defund the police" really means, and how it means not defunding the police.  That may indicate the problem with using this as a slogan.  This is like watching a soccer game where both teams are trying to score into their own goals.

What does it mean? Do all who call for it agree on what it means?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Yeah, this is really the problem. With the protesters, it has to be slogans, not real policy. But that means that the meanings are almost always lost.

The worst part is that when news crews ask protesters what things look like, what they actually want to see, they don't have an answer. One guy gave the best response, though. He was asked what he was marching for, and he said equality of policing. The reporter asked what that looked like, and he said, "I don't know. I've never seen it."

You can't fault folks for that. As an older black man, he had no idea what being treated like a white guy by police would look and feel like. How can he answer that?

Admiral Yi

Yeah, it's kind of like that thing with abolishing ICE.  A rhetorical trick so that people who really want zero cops can make happy with people who want to hire two social workers and put them in cop uniforms.  I am not expecting any revolutionary changes in policing in Minneapolis.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2020, 01:16:53 PM

Yeah, it's kind of like that thing with abolishing ICE.  A rhetorical trick so that people who really want zero cops can make happy with people who want to hire two social workers and put them in cop uniforms.  I am not expecting any revolutionary changes in policing in Minneapolis.

In Minneapolis itself, because it's both the epicentre of the protests and because it's a pretty liberal place, I could see them doing something radical.

But I don't see it going much wider than that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.