The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on June 06, 2020, 07:52:06 PM
Why did 7 cars and 20 officers show up and why tow her car?

Either because they're fascist pigs compensating for their small dicks or because it was a volatile situation with tempers running high and friends and supporters gathering around.   Can't tell from the video.

I don't know why they towed her car.

Still don't see any force, disproportionate or otherwise, still think kicking a cop in the shin is wrong and illegal.

Valmy

I mean kicking anybody in the shin is wrong and illegal but generally doesn't result in that kind of fallout.

But with any crime the context is also important and she has not been found guilty of anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2020, 07:56:55 PM

Either because they're fascist pigs compensating for their small dicks or because it was a volatile situation with tempers running high and friends and supporters gathering around.   Can't tell from the video.

Still don't see any force, disproportionate or otherwise, still think kicking a cop in the shin is wrong and illegal.

Let's get past the video and go towards the larger issue of policing in the US then.

I remember when I was dating this girl from California. I used to visit every few weeks. Got pulled over once by the cops and she could not believe how I was talking to them. I didn't understand what she meant but we talked for hours about it afterwards. Her main point was you do as they say and you don't talk back. She was also super nervous when I was arguing with the border patrol guys.

You guys seem to be fundamentally scared of your cops.

11B4V

Quote from: Zoupa on June 06, 2020, 08:05:15 PM

Let's get past the video and go towards the larger issue of policing in the US then.

I remember when I was dating this girl from California. I used to visit every few weeks. Got pulled over once by the cops and she could not believe how I was talking to them. I didn't understand what she meant but we talked for hours about it afterwards. Her main point was you do as they say and you don't talk back. She was also super nervous when I was arguing with the border patrol guys.

You just a tough guy aren't you Karen... :rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Sure, let's get past it.

I don't think objecting to someone kicking a cop in the shin is an indication of fear.  Here I am protected by the anonymity of the internet, with no risk that a cop will read my post about the joys of kicking cops in the shin and come after me, and I still think the same way.

I'm a little scared of cops when I know I'm breaking the law.  Driving after maybe one beer too many, or peeing in the park. I don't think they're going to be violent towards me unless I start something.  I think most Americans think cops should be treated with civility and respect.  They're not a punching bag for me to scream abuse at when I'm feeling outraged about something.

Razgovory

I can't imagine Zoupa not arguing with the police. :lol:  And yeah, we are taught from a young age to always treat police with respect and always follow their orders.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

You guys My ex-firlfriend seemed to be fundamentally scared of your her cops.

Fixed that for you.  Not even the most blindly Americanophobic of Americanophobes can believe that an anecdote about one incident involving one American povides meaningful evidence about 330 million Americans across all of time and space.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

I went downtown this morning to see what it looked like after a week of protesting and "riots". It was painful. A lot of broken windows boarded up, tons of graffiti, fencing, concrete barriers, etc.

Zoupa, if you had seen some of the graffiti, you wouldn't believe that Americans are afraid of the police. Personally, I cringed at the language used. It was awful. :( Not cursing, but calling for the deaths of police officers. That ... yeah.... not my pain so I'm trying not to judge, but I'm not one to call for the deaths of anyone. Especially not folks trying to do a job with minimal training and shitty management.

My point is that there are a lot of people not afraid of the police.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zoupa

Quote from: 11B4V on June 06, 2020, 08:08:15 PM

:mellow: I wasn't shouting at them. I was cracking jokes and just talking.

Zoupa

Quote from: merithyn on June 06, 2020, 08:30:11 PM
I went downtown this morning to see what it looked like after a week of protesting and "riots". It was painful. A lot of broken windows boarded up, tons of graffiti, fencing, concrete barriers, etc.

Zoupa, if you had seen some of the graffiti, you wouldn't believe that Americans are afraid of the police. Personally, I cringed at the language used. It was awful. :( Not cursing, but calling for the deaths of police officers. That ... yeah.... not my pain so I'm trying not to judge, but I'm not one to call for the deaths of anyone. Especially not folks trying to do a job with minimal training and shitty management.

What if they're pulled over on a deserted road at 1am? Would they be afraid then? Genuine question.

11B4V

Quote from: Zoupa on June 06, 2020, 08:45:51 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 06, 2020, 08:08:15 PM

:mellow: I wasn't shouting at them. I was cracking jokes and just talking.

Cool.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: Zoupa on June 06, 2020, 08:47:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 06, 2020, 08:30:11 PM

What if they're pulled over on a deserted road at 1am? Would they be afraid then? Genuine question.

I don't know. I don't know them. If they're black, at a guess, they would be afraid.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2020, 03:38:54 PM
It isn't that you should kick cops and not get in trouble but the reaction here seems a bit disproportionate. Besides how is taking somebody's property not a violation of the 5th Amendment to the Constitution? Isn't there supposed to be a trial before penalties are applied?

Cops have been going crazy with confiscations for years. It's not news.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 06, 2020, 09:14:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2020, 03:38:54 PM
It isn't that you should kick cops and not get in trouble but the reaction here seems a bit disproportionate. Besides how is taking somebody's property not a violation of the 5th Amendment to the Constitution? Isn't there supposed to be a trial before penalties are applied?

Cops have been going crazy with confiscations for years. It's not news.

It's local jurisdictions and courts that were going crazy with confiscations for years, not the police (who lack that power). It's not news.

The USSC has also struck down almost all civil forfeiture.  That's not news.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on June 06, 2020, 08:47:20 PM

I mean if I am pulled over anywhere at any time I am a little nervous yeah. I don't know what kind of cop I got on my hands. I am certainly going to keep my hands on the wheel be very polite and inform the police officer exactly what I am going to do before I do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."