The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I mean as I say I always think there's a good America and a bad America; an America of radical promise and intense reaction. The "good America" is providing the analysis and the language for activists around the world right now who are facing their systemic racism and out of control police.

I know some people see that as Europeans importing unwanted and annoying American style political correctness. But I think it's simply that American activists etc have done the work already and now we can use it - similar stuff happened with gay rights activism. I mean the major LGBT organisation in the UK is called Stonewall.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2020, 01:33:03 AM
NYT has apologized for running the Tom Cotton op-ed.

I am actually not sure they should...I think it is a good idea when ridiculous viewpoints are given a spotlight.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 05, 2020, 07:02:55 AM

I am actually not sure they should...I think it is a good idea when ridiculous viewpoints are given a spotlight.
Yeah I also sort of think even if you don't run the op-ed the content is newsworthy: US Senator calls for army to be deployed domestically against American protests.

Or, as the Onion put it, "Republican Leaders Claim New Yorkers Will Greet U.S. Military As Liberators" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

I agree.  Unless you let the Republican party reveal its ugly heart, people might not realize how far it is from the party of Lincoln.  A bunch of Republicans saying ugly things on an ugly Faux Snooze broadcast with ugly-hearted hosts is just preaching to the choir.  The broader public needs to know about this.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2020, 06:20:32 AM
The Buffalo video of the elderly gentleman being shoved is quite disgusting. Especially how many cops just walk past when a puddle of blood forms under his head. The original police report said the man "tripped and fell." They've since corrected it and suspended the officer who shoved him has been suspended without pay.

The larger crime here (sorry to the old guy who was assaulted) is not the assault.

Who is being suspended and charged for falsifying a police report?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2020, 07:54:56 AM
The Buffalo video of the elderly gentleman being shoved is quite disgusting. Especially how many cops just walk past when a puddle of blood forms under his head. The original police report said the man "tripped and fell." They've since corrected it and suspended the officer who shoved him has been suspended without pay.

The larger crime here (sorry to the old guy who was assaulted) is not the assault.

I think the official explanation was that the initial report was written by one of the cops further back who didn't see the shove. I.e. they try to pass it off as an honest mistake.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2020, 08:06:49 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2020, 07:54:56 AM

I think the official explanation was that the initial report was written by one of the cops further back who didn't see the shove. I.e. they try to pass it off as an honest mistake.

Convenient.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2020, 07:06:55 AM

Yeah I also sort of think even if you don't run the op-ed the content is newsworthy: US Senator calls for army to be deployed domestically against American protests.

Or, as the Onion put it, "Republican Leaders Claim New Yorkers Will Greet U.S. Military As Liberators" :lol:

I think there is some difference between said headline and choosing to devote printed space to such an opinion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

I happened to catch a couple of minutes of RT on this when I was flipping through the news channels, entirely different 'viewpoint' but it reminded me very much of Fox News in style and approach; both equally effective propaganda arms of increasingly thuggish 'regimes'? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

This is a totally normal transcript of a totally normal interview with a totally normal person:

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2020, 06:53:20 AM
I mean as I say I always think there's a good America and a bad America; an America of radical promise and intense reaction. The "good America" is providing the analysis and the language for activists around the world right now who are facing their systemic racism and out of control police.

I know some people see that as Europeans importing unwanted and annoying American style political correctness. But I think it's simply that American activists etc have done the work already and now we can use it - similar stuff happened with gay rights activism. I mean the major LGBT organisation in the UK is called Stonewall.

What is funny to see is all these complaints of the UK being too americanised and taking on issues that have nothing to do with us, from the very people who have been guilty of doing that for years.
It's really fascinating how things have completely flipped.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on June 05, 2020, 09:03:39 AM
This is a totally normal transcript of a totally normal interview with a totally normal person:

Stayed more on topic or at least topic-adjacent than I expected him to, but my expectations are quite low at this point.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2020, 06:41:16 AM
But Syt, I don't think they could be expected to abort whatever they were doing and all gather around the injured guy. That seemed like it was taken care of how it should be in that situation, more or less. I mean, the need for them to do the whole counter-riot marching is questionable at best, I guess, but I mean given the situation.
As it should be? Not one cop helped him.  He was helped by national guardsmen who happened to be nearby. Without them he would have likely died.  The officers who shoved him should be fired and charged with assault. Every officer who passed him by should be fired.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point