The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2020, 09:54:08 AM
Are you sure he wasn't killed by an Amazonian tribe?

Ok only that I cannot fit his hat on my head, so only much smaller by hat size standards not super tiny or anything :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2020, 09:18:19 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 04, 2020, 09:00:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2020, 08:36:27 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 03, 2020, 11:41:07 PM
All you anti gun folks might want to go get a couple.

Your white privilege might be showing.

And your lack of preparation may show. I'm not embarrassed I'm white.

You shouldn't be embarrassed to be white. You should probably consider though that what might make sense for yourself as a white man, might not make sense for black people. Because you know, black people are in danger when they are just say bird watching. Having a gun is just a guaranteed death sentence.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/623356/gun-ownership-in-the-us-by-ethnicity/

24% of black people own a gun in the US and another 8% live in a household with a gun. I assume some percentage of them will not be killed because they have a gun.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2020, 09:54:54 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2020, 09:54:08 AM
Are you sure he wasn't killed by an Amazonian tribe?

Ok only that I cannot fit his hat on my head, so only much smaller by hat size standards not super tiny or anything :P

Ah. Gotcha.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2020, 12:14:27 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 04, 2020, 12:07:39 AM
German state minister for culture says that the Left, by pushing for a more gender neutral language and using "word creations like 'People of Color'" is shutting up not the discriminators but the moderate, democratic center. :mellow:

I thought POC was a pretty normal and accepted term, not a sign of POLTICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD RAWRRRH. :unsure:

People of color was a clunky, contrived attempt by Jessie Jackson to enlist the support of Asians in minority issues.  I don't hear it used much anymore.  It doesn't offend my anti-PC sensibilities.

Nearly all of my friends use people of color, or POC. In encompasses hispanics, blacks, Asians, Native Americans, etc.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

I loath that term, it is so reductionist. But then so is white.

It just seems like there is very little that can be said that actually applies to every group in that catagory. But I get why the term exists and its utility. It just kind of sucks that that distinction needs to be made.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2020, 11:04:28 AM
I loath that term, it is so reductionist. But then so is white.

It just seems like there is very little that can be said that actually applies to every group in that catagory.

Well that's why it is not the only term that one can use. But it is useful for a sense of solidarity about some of the same issues that fit many who fall into the PoC camp.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2020, 11:06:24 AM
But it is useful for a sense of solidarity about some of the same issues that fit many who fall into the PoC camp.

I know. As I said in my edit I know why it exists.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fromtia

Quote from: alfred russel on June 04, 2020, 09:55:12 AM

https://www.statista.com/statistics/623356/gun-ownership-in-the-us-by-ethnicity/

24% of black people own a gun in the US and another 8% live in a household with a gun. I assume some percentage of them will not be killed because they have a gun.

It may also very likely greatly increase the likelihood of them getting killed by police or vigilantes. Philando Castille springs to mind. Kenneth Walker as well, although encouragingly it seems that charges are going to be dropped against Walker - not certain of that.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Tamas

Perhaps "minority" could work? I mean that's the crux of it isn't it? They got discriminated against because they were a well identifiable  "not us" group for the majority.

fromtia

Here's a question for the legal minded among us. Now that we have the four former officers charged with crimes what is the actual likelihood of getting any convictions? And what's going to happen after Chauvin gets off ? Not a given of course and I'm no legal expert but  my understanding of a part of the problem with US police forces being the way they are is the almost complete lack of accountability.

QuoteTo Make Police Accountable, End Qualified Immunity

https://thebulwark.com/to-make-police-accountable-end-qualified-immunity/

The Bulwark , which I am finding myself reading quite a lot these days.

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2020, 11:13:21 AM
But it is useful for a sense of solidarity about some of the same issues that fit many who fall into the PoC camp.

Got it. Of course, it would be hard for me to anticipate future edits. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 04, 2020, 11:26:53 AM
Perhaps "minority" could work? I mean that's the crux of it isn't it? They got discriminated against because they were a well identifiable  "not us" group for the majority.

That is already a term but it lacks specificity (given you can be a minority even when a physical majority - see women or eventual racial make up of the US; or even a political minority). Also, there's a lot more dignity in being a person of color than a minority.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 04, 2020, 11:30:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2020, 11:13:21 AM

Got it. Of course, it would be hard for me to anticipate future edits. :P

:blush:

The Brain

What's wrong with the term PoC? There are certainly more stupid terms around for race stuff.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.