The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

As has been said a gajilion times, it's mostly because people who want to spend time denouncing looters only want to spend time denouncing looters. If, indeed, it's the only thing that is *troubling you enough that you keep bringing it up, and want to insist on it over and over again* while police violence gets a passing meh, then yes - you are on the wrong side of the issue.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Monoriu

It is obvious that looting is wrong.  There, I said it again  :bowler:

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 03, 2020, 07:49:53 PM

Well congrats. But you are also happy to label everybody protesting the PRC backed regime as a rioter whether they riot or not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ancient Demon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 03, 2020, 07:47:02 PM
If you focus on the looting then yeah, you have pretty much missed the point.  But nobody is saying that looting is to be promoted or protected.  The protest and the protesters should be promoted and protected.

Distinguishing between peaceful protesters and rioters is dividing the American people, according to James Mattis.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Valmy

Quote from: Ancient Demon on June 03, 2020, 07:44:55 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2020, 07:26:18 PM
It isn't obvious. Prove your point or stop trolling.

It is obvious. The riots and looting haven't stopped.

I don't see why the national guard are insufficient. The rioters are not weilding AK-47s or anything. The regular army is not to be used domestically for this kind of purpose.

But I do not know exactly what has or has not happened today.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 03, 2020, 07:47:37 PM
As has been said a gajilion times, it's mostly because people who want to spend time denouncing looters only want to spend time denouncing looters. If, indeed, it's the only thing that is *troubling you enough that you keep bringing it up, and want to insist on it over and over again* while police violence gets a passing meh, then yes - you are on the wrong side of the issue.

And herein lies the rub.  I haven't seen anyone bringing it up "over and over again," with the possible exception of mono.  What you perceive as only spending time denouncing looters I see as a few passing remarks about looting (I said it is bad, DGuller mentioned his Russian video blogger) and a great deal of reaction and emotional response.  DGuller brought up the virtuous human chain protecting a Target, which I interpreted as praise for the law abiding protestors and you took exception to that.  Most of the looting discussion here has not actually been about looting at all, it has been a meta-debate about mentioning looting at all.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2020, 08:17:23 PM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on June 03, 2020, 07:44:55 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2020, 07:26:18 PM
It isn't obvious. Prove your point or stop trolling.

It is obvious. The riots and looting haven't stopped.

I don't see why the national guard are insufficient. The rioters are not weilding AK-47s or anything. The regular army is not to be used domestically for this kind of purpose.

But I do not know exactly what has or has not happened today.

Not according to Trump.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2020, 08:12:05 PM

Well congrats. But you are also happy to label everybody protesting the PRC backed regime as a rioter whether they riot or not.

As I have explained in my thread many times, the so called peaceful ones provide financial, tactical, political, and moral support to the rioters.  They are accomplices.  They report the locations of police, deliberately hinder police movement, donate to the rioters etc.  So they are rioters in my book  :bowler:

PDH

Quote from: Ancient Demon on June 03, 2020, 08:14:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 03, 2020, 07:47:02 PM
If you focus on the looting then yeah, you have pretty much missed the point.  But nobody is saying that looting is to be promoted or protected.  The protest and the protesters should be promoted and protected.

Distinguishing between peaceful protesters and rioters is dividing the American people, according to James Mattis.

Actually, he said: "We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers."  but it seems the distraction is too great.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on June 03, 2020, 08:24:22 PM

As I have explained in my thread many times, the so called peaceful ones provide financial, tactical, political, and moral support to the rioters.  They are accomplices.  They report the locations of police, deliberately hinder police movement, donate to the rioters etc.  So they are rioters in my book  :bowler:

Eh, there will always be elements like that. Nothing you can do about it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on June 03, 2020, 08:31:54 PM

Of course there is.  HK police has arrested 9k people so far  :showoff:  There is now a policy of arresting everybody in sight. 

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on June 03, 2020, 08:33:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 03, 2020, 08:31:54 PM

Of course there is.  HK police has arrested 9k people so far  :showoff:  There is now a policy of arresting everybody in sight.

And it will fix nothing. Only make it come back worse.

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on June 03, 2020, 08:37:39 PM

And it will fix nothing. Only make it come back worse.

We'll see.  The application of the "arrest everybody in sight" policy has quieted things down a lot.  The crowds were in the millions last year.  Now they are in low thousands. 

And if that doesn't work, the National Security Law will  ;)