The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2020, 04:02:04 PM
I did see an interesting observation by Nate Silver noting that in the active duty military about 40% support Trump and about 50% disapprove of him. But about 80% of police apparently support Trump. And that may be part of why we're where we are.

I wonder how much of the US military normally support Republicans and how much that has dipped under Trump.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2020, 04:02:04 PM
I did see an interesting observation by Nate Silver noting that in the active duty military about 40% support Trump and about 50% disapprove of him. But about 80% of police apparently support Trump. And that may be part of why we're where we are.
This is why I'm actually not that concerned about National Guard being put on the streets.  It would actually dilute the percentage of armed people in the streets that dehumanize the civilians.  I expect police to carry out illegal orders much more readily than I expect the military to do so.

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2020, 11:41:38 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2020, 11:11:59 AM
Didn't the head of the DEA come out and say, basically, "Nah, fam. Not our beef." ?

That's possible. I've only seen reports that the DoJ has authorized DEA to step in at the DEA's request.

My mistake. It was the Secretary of Defense.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/politics/esper-insurrection-act-protests/index.html
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

fromtia

Quote"I have watched this week's unfolding events, angry and appalled," Mattis writes. "The words 'Equal Justice Under Law' are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation." He goes on, "We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution."

James Mattis falls under spell of George Soros, becomes libtard, fails to expound on evils of looting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/james-mattis-denounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Ancient Demon

I still don't understand why it's so evil to want to use force to stop rioters and looters, or even to acknowledge their existence.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ancient Demon on June 03, 2020, 06:22:30 PM
I still don't understand why it's so evil to want to use force to stop rioters and looters, or even to acknowledge their existence.

Can you cite anyone here who thinks it's inappropriate to use force to stop rioters and looters?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

It isn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2020, 06:47:56 PM

It isn't.

I don't think you will convince him that it is not evil.  He's saying that he doesn't understand his position, not that he doesn't hold it.

Unless he's just throwing out a feeble strawman argument.  :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2020, 06:25:38 PM

Can you cite anyone here who thinks it's inappropriate to use force to stop rioters and looters?

Not that would say so using those exact words, but how else could someone be so opposed to using the national guard or military when it's obvious the local police are unable to handle the situation. Is it just because people don't like Trump's tone?

mongers

Well the US Secretary of Defense made a fairly extraordinary statement, indirectly attacking Trumps wish to use armed US military forces.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Quote from: Ancient Demon on June 03, 2020, 07:21:21 PM

Not that would say so using those exact words, but how else could someone be so opposed to using the national guard or military when it's obvious the local police are unable to handle the situation. Is it just because people don't like Trump's tone?

It isn't obvious. Prove your point or stop trolling.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Zoupa thinks people should get over looting.  Fromagia thinks it's praiseworthy that public figures don't mention looting.

There is some kind of either/or proposition going on.  If you "focus" on looting, if you spend "time and energy" talking about it, you're on the wrong side of the issue.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2020, 07:26:18 PM
It isn't obvious. Prove your point or stop trolling.

It is obvious. The riots and looting haven't stopped.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2020, 07:41:43 PM

Zoupa thinks people should get over looting.  Fromagia thinks it's praiseworthy that public figures don't mention looting.

There is some kind of either/or proposition going on.  If you "focus" on looting, if you spend "time and energy" talking about it, you're on the wrong side of the issue.

If you focus on the looting then yeah, you have pretty much missed the point.  But nobody is saying that looting is to be promoted or protected.  The protest and the protesters should be promoted and protected.