The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/03/donald-trump-church-photo-op-evangelicals

Quote'He wears the armor of God': evangelicals hail Trump's church photo op

No one accuses Donald Trump of subtlety. When the US president raised a Bible overhead on Monday evening outside St John's Episcopal church in Washington DC, the sign was unmistakable: an appeal to his evangelical base for loyalty, as protests and riots roared across America.

Not every Christian answered the call. The Rev Gini Gerbasi, an Episcopal priest, said police used teargas to drive her and others from St John's before Trump's appearance. "They turned holy ground into a battleground," she told Religion News Service.

But many of Trump's evangelical supporters, far from Washingtons political stage, saw the move as a victory in a world rife with evil.

"My whole family was flabbergasted," said Benjamin Horbowy, 37.

The Horbowys had gathered in Tallahassee, Florida, to watch live as Trump walked from the White House to St John's. "My mother just shouted out, 'God give him strength! He's doing a Jericho walk!'"

A Jericho walk, in some evangelical circles, refers to the biblical book of Joshua, where God commanded the Israelites to walk seven times around the opposing city of Jericho, whose walls then came crashing down.

Horbowy already supported Trump politically – he heads the local chapter of a pro- Trump motorcycle club and is campaigning for a seat in Florida's state senate – but when Trump lifted the Bible, Horbowy and his family felt overcome spiritually.

"My mother started crying. She comes from Pentecostal background, and she started speaking in tongues. I haven't heard her speak in tongues in years," he said. "I thought, look at my president! He's establishing the Lord's kingdom in the world."

Did he feel that conflicted with the Gospel of John, where Jesus said "my kingdom is not of this world"?

"Well," Horbowy said, "that's a philosophical question."

After watching Trump's gesture, Horbowy changed his Facebook profile photo to one of Trump outside St John's, with added rays of light emanating from the Bible. "It was the coolest thing he could do. What more could he do, wear blue jeans and ride in on a horse?" he said.

The catalysts for the protests was the killing of 46-year-old George Floyd by Minneapolis police. Asked about that, Horbowy said, "There's a Bible verse that says we shouldn't talk about evil things. We can just say, 'There's evil' and move on."

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Talk about people needing to be locked up.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2020, 06:48:18 AM
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1268146945551458304
QuoteDenver police officer fired over "let's start a riot" photo

Unlike the Hill, Buzzfeed has gone with name and shame:

Tonitrus

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 03, 2020, 09:14:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2020, 07:22:12 PM
This evening :blink:

Them some of my USAF homies, so it cannot be too serious.  :P

No AC or padded chairs. Do they get bonus hardship pay?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2020, 01:25:20 AM
Well, I'm ashamed.  What's really bothering me is some of things I've felt during these riots.  Feelings I'm ashamed of having.  Stuff I can't even write out of fear that some local yockel will connect it to me and then try to burn my house down.  I was raised to respect law enforcement.  I even thought I might want to try that field myself and in college took a course on law enforcement.  I see these videos and I'm not seeing cops anymore.  I'm seeing a street gang in blue.

I can't decide if there is something really fucking wrong with me or there is something really fucking wrong with this country.

Nothing wrong with you, my friend. :console:

merithyn

merithyn

Is that a real picture with the fake ad, though? Because if so...

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2020, 09:57:17 AM
Is that a real picture with the fake ad, though? Because if so...
I'm sure it's a real picture, there are cops on Wall Street, and there are banks.  So what, it's a made up ad slogan deliberately designed to sound callous.  It's like going to a protest with "I'm with stupid" sign, and then crowing about an ownage photo that results.

HVC

Poor TD bank.

Although my company works with them and they're a pain in the ass, so maybe I shouldn't feel bad for them
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.