The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Germany's main weekly news talkshow talked about racism yesterday. They were widely criticized for not inviting any person of color. When called out on it, the host tweeted that they also wanted to cover Corona.

... so? POC can't discuss Corona? :unsure:

The patronizing tone of the tweet didn't help. ("Let's all just watch the show first, and then we can discuss. Shall we do it that way? ;) " my translation doesn't quite capture the tone)

OTOH they have members of AfD in on a regular basis for pretty much any topic under the sun.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/02/politics/congress-republican-reaction-trump-church/index.html

QuoteTop Republican senators defend Trump's church photo-op after peaceful protesters cleared out

[...]

Sen. John Cornyn, a member of the GOP leadership team, said the protesters had to be cleared out "for security purposes" since Trump was "walking over to the church" and they were asked to clear "but refused to do so."

"So obviously, it was a necessary security measure," Cornyn told CNN. Cornyn rejected the notion that they were acting peacefully since they can't "ignore what law enforcement officers are telling them to do for the security of the president or anybody else."

Asked if the President should have gone to the church for a photo-op that led to tear gas and other measures to be used on the protesters, Cornyn criticized the media and others who are "never going to find any good or any positive development in anything. So you can characterize it the way you want, but obviously the President is free to go where he wants and to hold up a Bible if he wants," calling it a "civil message."

Sen. Chuck Grassley, the most senior Republican in the Senate, told CNN that peaceful protesters have the right to demonstrate but he didn't know the extent to which the "police might expect violence from some of the people -- maybe 5% of the people -- and that could be a potential problem, the answer would be, it's OK" to clear them out with force.

Grassley defended Trump's move to go to St. John's Church, citing the fire that protesters set to the church's premises the night before.

"We expect leadership from our President and particularly in times like this," Grassley said Tuesday. "And I think that when there was destruction to a church or any other historical thing that America would put great confidence in that should not be destroyed, I think a president ought to bring attention to that terrorist activity, and go there and do ... what he did last night."

Asked about the fact that the protesters were acting peacefully, Grassley said: "It's all assumed to be peaceful until someone that's got a terrorist activity or a rioting activity, you don't know that until it happens. So I don't know if they could have known that."

[...]

Sen. Marco Rubio, the acting chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, was asked if he had any issues with the use of tear gas against the protesters on Monday evening. "No, given what we've seen the last few nights in front of the White House -- incredibly dangerous and violent situations."

Rubio, a Florida Republican, also disputed the assertion that the protesters were cleared out for the Trump photo-op in front of the church, noting that the 7 p.m. ET curfew was drawing near.
Rubio said the protesters were "professional agitators."

"They know the police have to move forward on them, that will trigger the use of tear gas and it plays right into the imagery that they want. ... That wasn't even a protest. It was a provocation that was created deliberately for national television."

Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, a West Virginia Republican, called it a "strong move" for Trump to go to the church and "walk out in public." She added the use of tear gas "strikes me as not right" but added "those are decisions are made by the security people."

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Ah yes authoritarian John Cornyn, you have no rights to him. He is why I consider Ted Cruz the good Texas senator.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Nothing to see, just protesters getting boxed in by police and liberally pelted with teargas, flashbangs, etc.

https://twitter.com/katie_levans/status/1268004903257100302?s=20
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on June 03, 2020, 12:01:32 AM
https://youtu.be/-PvposKcL10

Observe the car on the left of the screen as the police walk by.

Totally normal behavior.

Well, I'm ashamed.  What's really bothering me is some of things I've felt during these riots.  Feelings I'm ashamed of having.  Stuff I can't even write out of fear that some local yockel will connect it to me and then try to burn my house down.  I was raised to respect law enforcement.  I even thought I might want to try that field myself and in college took a course on law enforcement.  I see these videos and I'm not seeing cops anymore.  I'm seeing a street gang in blue.

I can't decide if there is something really fucking wrong with me or there is something really fucking wrong with this country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2020, 01:12:04 AM
Ah yes authoritarian John Cornyn, you have no rights to him. He is why I consider Ted Cruz the good Texas senator.

Texas doing us proud

https://twitter.com/TwinklingTania/status/1267930761019064320
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2020, 01:44:57 AM

Texas doing us proud

Covid-19: am I a joke to you?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 03, 2020, 02:20:33 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2020, 01:44:57 AM

Texas doing us proud

Covid-19: am I a joke to you?

Yeah, there's probably going to be a huge spike in cases two weeks from now.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

I'm seeing a fascinating tendency for mono style all protestors are looters smearing with this latest round of protests
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 03, 2020, 03:27:36 AM
I'm seeing a fascinating tendency for mono style all protestors are looters smearing with this latest round of protests

That's fairly standard.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

https://twitter.com/EdFelten/status/1267838832298393602

QuoteEd Felten
@EdFelten
Very relieved that the unexploded flash-bang grenade that my daughter found and innocently picked up this morning didn't explode in her face. Beyond angry that it was left on the streets of our capital city.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZhEkgXWkAASrgq?format=jpg&name=small
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

German MP for the AfD on Twitter:

"Events in the #USA show into what dead end multicultural immigration countries lead. Violence, death, security forces armed to the teeth. We must be spared such a state of affairs. For a peaceful Germany. Therefore, #AfD."

:x
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Since when did African-Americans immigrate to the US? They were fuckin' kidnapped.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1268122021369655297
Six Atlanta police officers will face charges for an incident in which they tased two college students and removed them from their car during protests

1 Karma Chameleon point