The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2020, 05:44:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2020, 05:38:34 PM
Last time it was invoked was 1992, in California during the Rodney King riots, at Democratic governor Pete Wilson's request.

Wilson is a Republican
lol I don't know how anyone would confuse Pete Wilson as a Democrat
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Monoriu

Hong Kong never implemented a curfew, despite a year of riots.  People who are going to break laws anyway won't care about breaking curfews.  A better way to reduce the number of people on the streets is to stop the public transports after a certain hour. 

PDH

Quote from: merithyn on June 02, 2020, 08:27:06 PM
No curfew in Portland tonight. The mayor admitted that it was ineffective and caused more harm than good.

Quitters
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2020, 08:44:04 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 02, 2020, 08:27:06 PM
No curfew in Portland tonight. The mayor admitted that it was ineffective and caused more harm than good.

Quitters

This whole debacle has kind of made the decision for me to not vote for our current mayor. I think he's been an absolute ass during the whole thing. He's completely tone-deaf to the needs of the African-American community in Portland.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

Much smaller city in Santa Cruz, but here the Mayor and the Chief of Police met with the demonstrators, talked with them, then knelt.  The Chief has publicly said that officers who stand by and let other officers commit crimes are committing it as well.

Tense, as you might think, but not violent.  Less violent then the Grad Student strikes earlier this year.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Could it be the time Trump's incredible run of luck runs out, and Republicans are forced to defy him faster than he can backtrack?  I don't think this war is winnable for Trump when NASCAR drivers start tagging #BlackLivesMatter. 

grumbler

Defense Science Board is a group of (generally retired) science experts/"wise men" who oversee technical research programs for DoD.  A program manager will go to them (there are a bunch of subcommittees that do the actual work) to get their approval to declare a major-program R&D milestone has been met. I remember helping brief the DSB on the stealth surface ship program when the Navy wanted to move it from Demonstration and Validation to actual engineering and development, for instance.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2020, 09:20:53 PM
Could it be the time Trump's incredible run of luck runs out, and Republicans are forced to defy him faster than he can backtrack?  I don't think this war is winnable for Trump when NASCAR drivers start tagging #BlackLivesMatter.
Which ones?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2020, 09:23:35 PM
Defense Science Board is a group of (generally retired) science experts/"wise men" who oversee technical research programs for DoD.  A program manager will go to them (there are a bunch of subcommittees that do the actual work) to get their approval to declare a major-program R&D milestone has been met. I remember helping brief the DSB on the stealth surface ship program when the Navy wanted to move it from Demonstration and Validation to actual engineering and development, for instance.

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 02, 2020, 09:26:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 02, 2020, 09:20:53 PM
Which ones?
Upon closer inspection, only Tyler Reddick was the one who actually used the tag directly.  Ty Dillon and Bubba Wallace also tried to say something meaningful.  Some other were more cautious and milquetoast, but by NASCAR standards even that is earth-shattering.  https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2020/06/02/bubba-wallace-ty-dillon-open-up-in-insightful-instagram-live-discussion/ .  They had a driver use the N-word as a mike check not too long ago.

I wish Dale Earnhardt Jr. had the balls to come out of the closet as a liberal already.  Yes, he'll lose some of his fans who even by NASCAR standards are not too progressive, but if there's ever a time to do something good with your popularity, now would be it.

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2020, 05:43:31 PM
The town was fairly well off before the riots. :mellow:

Working as designed. Rise against the system, get punished by the system's built in mechanisms.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 02, 2020, 07:32:24 PM
Eye popping numbers on that second question. Never would have imagined so many yes votes. The nation is radicalizing in real time.

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1267941135521067011
"Do you think the anger that led to these protests are justified?"
Justified 78%
Not Justified 18%

"Given the events around George Floyd, including the burning on a police precinct is..."
Justified 54%
Not Justified 38%

National @MonmouthPoll

radicalized or simply rejecting white nationalist right wing extremism?

Zoupa

https://youtu.be/-PvposKcL10

Observe the car on the left of the screen as the police walk by.

Totally normal behavior.

jimmy olsen

:mad:

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1268045565499228160
QuoteAnother video of police in DC spraying a TV cameraman with pepper spray when there's literally nobody else near him and it's obvious he's allowed to be there because of the enormous CNN camera on his shoulder.

If these cops will blatantly assault a TV news crew live on the air, imagine what they've been doing to people when there are no cameras around.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point