The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on May 31, 2020, 03:18:25 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2020, 09:29:41 AM

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1266952661791674370?s=20

I clearly heard the officers ordering everybody to get inside.  Why didn't the filmer comply?
Because they're on their own property.

Saw this image, which is kind of extraordinary and reminds me of Beirut:
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2020, 03:26:59 PM

Because they're on their own property.

Saw this image, which is kind of extraordinary and reminds me of Beirut:

That's not a very good reason to flagrantly disobey a clear police order.  If police orders you to get inside, you get inside immediately.  The only acceptable explanation I can think of is you are deaf and can't hear the police.

Dunno, this happens in HK all the time, so I don't know what's so special about the picture. 

Admiral Yi

People should obey curfews by staying indoors.
The police should not enforce the curfew by firing paint cannisters at people on their porches.
If you're driving and detained by the police and you lock your doors and refuse to exit, you should expect to have your windows smashed and to be pulled out of the car.
Slashing the tires of cars I don't understand, especially of parked cars.
Looting is bad.
Shooting grocery shoppers in the face with rubber bullets is bad.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2020, 03:36:51 PM
People should obey curfews by staying indoors.
The police should not enforce the curfew by firing paint cannisters at people on their porches.
If you're driving and detained by the police and you lock your doors and refuse to exit, you should expect to have your windows smashed and to be pulled out of the car.
Slashing the tires of cars I don't understand, especially of parked cars.
Looting is bad.
Shooting grocery shoppers in the face with rubber bullets is bad.

:yes:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ancient Demon on May 31, 2020, 03:11:03 PM
It looks like some people here can't tell the difference between peaceful protests and riots.

Seems the problem is the cops are having trouble switching modes or reading the situation, so all protesters and even some onlookers get lumped in as "Rioters".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 31, 2020, 03:46:51 PM
It looks like some people here can't tell the difference between peaceful protests and riots.

Seems the problem is the cops are having trouble switching modes or reading the situation, so all protesters and even some onlookers get lumped in as "Rioters".

And of course the problem the police have telling rioters from film crews, nurses helping wounded, old men with canes...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 31, 2020, 03:46:51 PM

In some cases, sure. I hoped we could all agree however that riots and looting are unacceptable, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

11B4V

About 200 folks marching around downtown Shelton. No shenanigans, however an equal number of the local citizenry protecting shops/businesses. Yes Languish, all shops and businesses. We have a large Hispanic and Korean demographic.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Perhaps we should prevent cops from wearing face coverings.  It would be nice to hold some of the these people responsible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2020, 04:35:45 PM
Perhaps we should prevent cops from wearing face coverings.  It would be nice to hold some of the these people responsible.

Violation of local guidelines.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ancient Demon on May 31, 2020, 04:15:24 PM

In some cases, sure. I hoped we could all agree however that riots and looting are unacceptable, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.
Sure. But that's not what I've seen today. As Eddie says the number of media they've shot at, the residents on their porches they're shooting at, the old men on canes they're shoving.

It sort of feels as if the police have stopped being fellow civilians and citizens in many of these areas. And there's none of the basic level of discipline you'd expect as much as anything else. It looks like an undisciplined force lashing out in fear of losing control which is causing them to lose more control.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Knocking over the old man, in broad daylight...that should symbolize all the excess right now going on from the police.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2020, 04:44:11 PM

In Hungary all police officers must wear a clear identifier. With riot police that's their ID number painted on their helmets, IIRC. This has been done since the unfortunate incidents during the 2006 riots. And since those riots are a big part of the current far-right foundation myth, the Orban regime dares not touch this rule, at least not yet.

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on May 31, 2020, 04:57:43 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2020, 04:44:11 PM

In Hungary all police officers must wear a clear identifier. With riot police that's their ID number painted on their helmets, IIRC. This has been done since the unfortunate incidents during the 2006 riots. And since those riots are a big part of the current far-right foundation myth, the Orban regime dares not touch this rule, at least not yet.

Not a bad idea.

HisMajestyBOB

That's the crux of the problem. Police are not being held accountable except in the most egregious cases (and often not even then).
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help