The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I wonder if he knows any WW2 generals besides MACARTHUR and PATTON. STRONK!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 09:54:22 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 09:46:35 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 09:40:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2020, 09:26:00 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 09:25:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2020, 09:18:57 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 09:10:30 AM
Go US police! 

Hey despicable piece of shit, keep it in your bullshit little thread that you keep in private.

:rolleyes:

What you are happy to have him cheering deaths on?

No, just your faux outrage and bullshit.

So you're annoyed with garbon over his outrage but are unresponsive to Mono cheering about it. Cool.

Who the fuck are you to determine that garbon's outrage is not legitimate?

Who the fuck are you. Garbon is a grown adult and I'm quite sure doesnt need you to speak for him.

Whatever. Go stroke your guns and relax.

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 08:18:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2020, 08:09:55 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 08:05:13 AM
I hope the US would defeat the rioters  :bowler:

They are rioting because they are defeated.

No.  They are only defeated if that ex-policeman can walk free  :menace:
Dude, you seriously have a screw loose somewhere.

Malthus

Quote from: Solmyr on May 30, 2020, 02:45:07 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2020, 02:22:37 PM
First, there is not much evidence it is effective in actually making positive change. There have been numerous violent protests over police violence, as far as I'm aware not much evidence this has changed the problem.

The Stonewall Riots were massive and got us LGBT rights.

I would say gay rights came about from a long process that really got rolling in the early 1980s, through which in many places the average ordinary non-gay person in many places increasingly saw gays as being "like us, but with different sexual orientation" rather than "perverts, deserving of pity at best".

It was not the case that the Stonewall Riots led directly to gay rights - as proof, gays still lacked full rights for many years after the riots. They certainly helped to form a consciousness among gay activists, but gays rioting did not lead directly to non-gays finding, on average and in some places, that gays were 'like us' and so depriving them of rights was unjust.

Edit: one very interesting result of Stonewall was that many gay activists forcefully rejected the "bar culture" of gays pre-Stonewall. Why? Exactly because that culture focused on underground sexuality, a thing these activists were keen to reject the image of - as it smacked of degeneracy, the stereotypes of which many non-gays attributed to gays - something they saw as an impediment to gaining rights. The focus of the battle shifted to gay marriage in the 90s exactly because this reinforced the "we are actually alike" point, which is why even gays uninterested in marriage for themselves were keen on such rights. Tensions remained, as pride parade excesses (displays of blatant sexuality) are seen by some as empowering, and by others as reinforcing negative stereotypes about gays.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on May 30, 2020, 10:27:01 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 08:18:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2020, 08:09:55 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 08:05:13 AM
I hope the US would defeat the rioters  :bowler:

They are rioting because they are defeated.

No.  They are only defeated if that ex-policeman can walk free  :menace:
Dude, you seriously have a screw loose somewhere.

Gotta make sure that rioters don't win  ;)

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on May 30, 2020, 09:55:56 AM
I wonder if he knows any WW2 generals besides MACARTHUR and PATTON. STRONK!

Trump would have thrown the protesters back across the Yahoo in no time.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Minnesota governor says 80% of the rioters may be from out of state.

https://www.startribune.com/walz-twin-cities-under-assault-from-outside-agitators/570892512/

QuoteGov. Walz to 'fully mobilize' the National Guard

Gov. Tim Walz called it the largest deployment in the state's history.

Shaken by another night of chaos that overwhelmed law enforcement, Gov. Tim Walz said Saturday he will fully mobilize the National Guard to combat what he called a "tightly controlled" group of outside agitators, some of them from out of state, who have turned city streets into scenes of looting and arson.

The struggle to control the mayhem could bring another 1,000 National Guard soldiers into the cities, supplementing a force of 700, already the largest civil policing authority in the state's history. Law enforcement officials said it would be the first full mobilization of the Guard in Minnesota since World War II.

"Our cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are under assault," Walz said, suggesting that a growing number of rioters are coming from outside the city, and possibly outside the state, in what he called "an organized attempt to destabilize civil society."

Walz said as many as 80% of the people causing destruction and fire in the cities could be from elsewhere. He distinguished the wanton looting and vandalism from the legitimate and mostly peaceful protests that began Tuesday, the day after the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who died in police custody.

It was not clear if the outside groups suspected to be playing a part in the mayhem are made up of white supremacist agitators, left wing anarchists, or both.

Authorities said they made about 40 arrests overnight in Minneapolis and St. Paul, mostly for burglary, curfew violations and destruction of property. Hennepin County jail logs showed detainees from Florida, Michigan, Missouri, Illinois and Alaska.

Walz said that while the agitators have gotten the attention they want, he vowed that by Saturday night "they are going to get an overwhelming force of safety, security and peace."

Walz ordered another temporary curfew starting at 8 p.m. Saturday and said peaceful protesters and others who remained outside after that would be "aiding and abetting" vandals who use the crowds as cover.

Walz's announcement came after a third night of violent protests and looting, despite an overnight curfew following the arrest of Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who faces murder charges in Floyd's death, captured on video beamed around the world.

The violence spread rapidly until just before midnight and into early Saturday, when hundreds of police officers, state troopers and armed National Guard troops fanned out into areas of vandalism and arson, confronting rioters with tear gas and orders to disperse.

The continuing havoc, which has spread to cities across America, has prompted rounds of recrimination and finger-pointing among state and local leaders about the law enforcement response, which in many parts of Minneapolis had seemed all but undectable earlier Friday night.

Walz sought to calm the protesters in a 1:30 a.m. news conference with Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, both making emotional appeals to end the violence.

"The absolute chaos — this is not grieving, and this is not making a statement [about an injustice] that we fully acknowledge needs to be fixed — this is dangerous," Walz said. "You need to go home."

Walz said he had talked to Floyd's family and that they agreed what was happening in Minneapolis was horrific and counterproductive.

Walz has come under fire from Republicans in the Legislature calling for a more robust response. "They need to show the force, not have everything hidden behind the scenes," said Senate Minority Leader Paul Gazelka, R-East Gull Lake. "I'm glad that they called the curfew, but when people violate the curfew you have to arrest them."

Walz and the mayors of Minneapolis and St. Paul acknowledged that police, state patrol and National Guard soldiers were overwhelmed the past two nights by the extent of the rioting and vandalism, which State Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington estimated to "tens of thousands" of people.

Maj. Gen. Jon Jensen, adjutant general of the Minnesota National Guard, said that despite the largest show of force in state history Friday night, "it was not enough." He said the governor's full deployment order would mean "the Minnesota National Guard is all in,"

Staff writer Paul Walsh contributed to this report.

Remember the weird white guy who casually smashed windows on day 1? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETQ9PVfFkjE

P.S.: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/05/30/protesters-defy-minneapolis-curfew-order-several-fires-set-during-4th-night-of-unrest-over-george-floyds-death/

Quote[...]

John Harrington, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, said state leaders have intel that may point to agitators — including white supremacist groups and drug cartels — possibly playing a role in the anarchy.

[...]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zoupa

Eddie Teach

Speaking of drug cartels, I wonder if quarantine has been good or bad for their business.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 30, 2020, 11:44:42 AM
Speaking of drug cartels, I wonder if quarantine has been good or bad for their business.  :hmm:

The most enterprising organized deliveries via gig economy services.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 10:08:12 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 09:54:22 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 09:46:35 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 09:40:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2020, 09:26:00 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 09:25:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 30, 2020, 09:18:57 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 09:10:30 AM
Go US police! 

Hey despicable piece of shit, keep it in your bullshit little thread that you keep in private.

:rolleyes:

What you are happy to have him cheering deaths on?

No, just your faux outrage and bullshit.

So you're annoyed with garbon over his outrage but are unresponsive to Mono cheering about it. Cool.

Who the fuck are you to determine that garbon's outrage is not legitimate?

Who the fuck are you. Garbon is a grown adult and I'm quite sure doesnt need you to speak for him.

Whatever. Go stroke your guns and relax.

Always am. Currently restoring a Remington Model 11.  :blurgh:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

How much training do US cops have, typically? I seem to recall hearing that it's very little compared to some other countries. In Sweden it takes 2.5 years to become a police officer. Is there such a thing as a typical length of time in the US, if you're talking basic cops?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2020, 02:03:36 PM
How much training do US cops have, typically? I seem to recall hearing that it's very little compared to some other countries. In Sweden it takes 2.5 years to become a police officer. Is there such a thing as a typical length of time in the US, if you're talking basic cops?

Academy anywhere from 6-12 mos. FTO phase can be 3 to 12 mos. New officers are usually on two year probation. This does not included any reoccurring in service training such as CIT, HNC, SRT, etc.

But it varies widely.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2020, 02:03:36 PM
Very little and widely varying.  You'd think that a job that involves the potentially violent interaction of state and individuals would have stringent training requirements, but that is really not the case in the US.