The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Video here:

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protest-updates-05-28-20/h_4ed08403663fa4ed3518221d0f2a1552

The crew was reporting on street closures. The reporter is calmly asking the police where they would like the team to move, and that they'd go wherever they like while they sweep the area. Somehow that led to the crew being arrested. The studio crew says the crew stood where they were instructed to be previously.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

And we argued that the USA wasn't a failed state.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on May 29, 2020, 07:32:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 29, 2020, 06:00:38 AM

So what is France ?

France is always a borderline Police state. Did something happen in France that I missed?  :hmm:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on May 29, 2020, 07:32:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 29, 2020, 06:00:38 AM

So what is France ?

To be fair France have a few checkboxes pending that the US has already ticked, in particular the one on "armed militias intimidating local legislatures" and "President cheering violence on publicly".

Syt

The CNN crew has been released. State Police say they were freed as soon as their press credentials were established. Never mind that the reporter was holding out his press badge to the arresting officer the whole time. The reporter, Omar Jimenez, says he asked the trooper why he was being arrested. "Don't know man, just following orders."

A nearby white CNN reporter says he ran into no such issues dealing with police and national guard who politely asked him to move when they needed him out of the way.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Cops arresting news crews for no obvious reason while they are recording seems a new low to me. I don't remember that ever happening before in the US. Seems more like something you would expect to see in China.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2020, 03:20:53 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 29, 2020, 12:30:35 AM
Having been in many demonstrations with a purpose, I absolutely do not share your appreciation of "mob mentality". People don't think about what they can get away with. They want to shout and express their anger.

Then why do so many protests end up in looting and destruction of property?

How many protests end up in looting and destruction of property?  As a percentage of all protests?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on May 29, 2020, 09:20:58 AM
Cops arresting news crews for no obvious reason while they are recording seems a new low to me. I don't remember that ever happening before in the US. Seems more like something you would expect to see in China.

It's not common but it definitely is not unprecedented; there are usually at least a few such incidents every year: https://pressfreedomtracker.us/arrest-criminal-charge/

Keep in mind that when it comes to law enforcement, the US is at least 50 different countries, and arguably more given strong local control over police forces.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Don't presume malevolence when something can be explained by incompetence.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 29, 2020, 10:22:11 AM

Don't presume malevolence when something can be explained by incompetence.

Well go ahead then. Explain it using incompetence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2020, 12:04:21 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 09:15:40 PM
If the price to pay to deescalate that moment is a couple of police cars burned down, and a few broken windows, I consider it a much, much lower price than the deployment of battalions of cop all geared up in military gear, which inevitably lead to further escalation, as the last - oh, 50, 60 years? - have conclusively shown. To me, the much bigger cost is to the body politic - but I am sure you can make a narrow economic reading re: the monetary cost of police brutality and repression.

I don't think burning a police car deescalates anything.  Instead it's an accelerant.  Oh look what we got away with - what else can we do!  That's not any one person's thought pattern, but that is the mob mentality.

Yes, it is. Because being polite and taking a knee hasn't gotten anyone anywhere.

This guy was killed for possibly passing a fake $20 bill. His life was worth less than $20.

These people want to destroy these insured businesses? Yeah, I'm okay with that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 29, 2020, 10:30:19 AM
If the price to pay to deescalate that moment is a couple of police cars burned down, and a few broken windows, I consider it a much, much lower price than the deployment of battalions of cop all geared up in military gear, which inevitably lead to further escalation, as the last - oh, 50, 60 years? - have conclusively shown. To me, the much bigger cost is to the body politic - but I am sure you can make a narrow economic reading re: the monetary cost of police brutality and repression.

I don't think burning a police car deescalates anything.  Instead it's an accelerant.  Oh look what we got away with - what else can we do!  That's not any one person's thought pattern, but that is the mob mentality.

Yes, it is. Because being polite and taking a knee hasn't gotten anyone anywhere.

This guy was killed for possibly passing a fake $20 bill. His life was worth less than $20.

These people want to destroy these insured businesses? Yeah, I'm okay with that.

Well I mean we have also been rioting for 50+ years as well. What will get us somewhere is not clear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2020, 10:31:56 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 29, 2020, 10:30:19 AM

Well I mean we have also been rioting for 50+ years as well. What will get us somewhere is not clear.

Attrition?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.