The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2020, 06:31:57 PM
Because they are the police. The Police are not acting on your behalf. They are protecting eachother. They would not hesitate to let you die too.

Then we should certainly disband them.

Eddie Teach

They were disbanded in the 80s, nyuk nyuk.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2020, 06:37:07 PM
Because they are the police. The Police are not acting on your behalf. They are protecting eachother. They would not hesitate to let you die too.

But then who would wypipo call when they see black folks in places they feel they shouldn't be?

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on May 28, 2020, 06:57:13 PM

But then who would wypipo call when they see black folks in places they feel they shouldn't be?

Nothing. Send someone out to talk. Deescalate if you can.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 28, 2020, 06:17:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2020, 09:20:33 AM
Quote from: fromtia on May 27, 2020, 09:16:43 AM
Racism is over though, and this sort of thing also happens to white people apparently, but the media always misses it.

I don't understand that argument. So long as the police also kill white people then they shouldn't be held accountable? Talk about a bizarre whataboutism. Pretty sure if a citizen ends up killed by the police an investigation needs to be made and disciplinary action taken if necessary. That is just respecting the civil rights of our people. What about the fifth amendment to the Constition?

Who is claiming police shouldn't be accountable?

I wouldn't think anybody but I am obviously very wrong.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2020, 07:00:25 PM

A swing and a miss.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on May 28, 2020, 07:32:13 PM

A swing and a miss.

But you tried, and that's what counts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Beats me.  I have no experience with unpoliced places.  Who do you think they would call?

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2020, 08:05:23 PM

Beats me.  I have no experience with unpoliced places.  Who do you think they would call?

Probably the Klan.

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2020, 07:38:25 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 28, 2020, 07:32:13 PM

A swing and a miss.

But you tried, and that's what counts.

:console:

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2020, 06:09:14 PMWhat you would do seems very material to me.  The police are acting on our behalf.  If we prefer our property to not be destroyed, and would act to protect it, so should they.  If we're indifferent to the destruction of our property then we can instruct the police to act the same way.

Our whole system of policing is predicated on the stark distinction of what any private citizen would do in response to an insult or injury, and how our society, and therefore, our police, should answer. I would very much like to punch in the face someone who insulted me, but I wouldn't expect a policeman to punch that person for me. And I wouldn't want a policeman to be authorized to punch in the face a citizen who insults him. Restraint is a necessary part of granting the privilege to some individuals the right to discharge a deadly weapon on a fellow citizen.

Furthermore, this is not a sort of either/or proposition, that should we let a police car vandalized in tense circumstances we are suddenly giving the ok for all police cars -- and indeed, all cars - to be vandalized for all times. This is the recognition that this is a tense moment.

If the price to pay to deescalate that moment is a couple of police cars burned down, and a few broken windows, I consider it a much, much lower price than the deployment of battalions of cop all geared up in military gear, which inevitably lead to further escalation, as the last - oh, 50, 60 years? - have conclusively shown. To me, the much bigger cost is to the body politic - but I am sure you can make a narrow economic reading re: the monetary cost of police brutality and repression.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Now the police station is on fire.  I think there might be some room for improvement here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Valmy

I mean there is a procedure for these things people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 09:15:40 PM
If the price to pay to deescalate that moment is a couple of police cars burned down, and a few broken windows, I consider it a much, much lower price than the deployment of battalions of cop all geared up in military gear, which inevitably lead to further escalation, as the last - oh, 50, 60 years? - have conclusively shown. To me, the much bigger cost is to the body politic - but I am sure you can make a narrow economic reading re: the monetary cost of police brutality and repression.

I totally agree.