The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Intimidate law makers with assault weapons: Oh, well, we can't do anything.

Vandalize police car and write graffiti: deploy tear gas and rubber bullets.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 01:34:06 PM

Well one is against the law and the other isn't. Also: these are different states and different police departments.

That is not to say tear gas and rubber bullets were a great idea and an appropriate response.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2020, 01:36:26 PMAlso: these are different states and different police departments.

I have no doubt it would have been the exact same response in most states.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 01:40:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2020, 01:36:26 PMAlso: these are different states and different police departments.

I have no doubt it would have been the exact same response in most states.

I do. Bringing weapons into a government building is illegal in most states. You cannot even bring toy guns into federal buildings.

If you mean that the response would have been similarly over-reactive in the protest case well I cannot argue that. Probably right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 01:34:06 PM

What is the appropriate response to burning down buildings?  And why did you leave that part out?

And of course we can do something about assault weapons open carried in state assemblies: we can change the laws.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2020, 01:19:55 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 28, 2020, 01:12:53 PM
Apparently, rioting and looting in that city now.

Well shit, that doesn't help anybody.

Honestly, I'm amazed it's taken this long to get there.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2020, 03:05:58 PM
What is the appropriate response to burning down buildings?  And why did you leave that part out?

Because tear gas and rubber bullet came after grafitti and vandalizing police car, not after burning down buildings.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 04:26:16 PM
Because tear gas and rubber bullet came after grafitti and vandalizing police car, not after burning down buildings.

OK.  What's the appropriate response to vandalizing police cars?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2020, 04:59:52 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 04:26:16 PM

OK.  What's the appropriate response to vandalizing police cars?

Nothing. Send someone out to talk. Deescalate if you can.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 05:03:18 PM
Nothing. Send someone out to talk. Deescalate if you can.

Is that what you would do if someone were vandalizing your car?

BTW, what do you mean by vandalizing?  Keying the doors and letting the air out of the tires?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2020, 05:12:10 PM
Is that what you would do if someone were vandalizing your car?

BTW, what do you mean by vandalizing?  Keying the doors and letting the air out of the tires?

I am not a police body given the legitimate use of force. My car is not a police car. What I would do is immaterial to this case. Police cars also do not hold such a special place in my heart that would warrant unleashing forceful repression of a demonstration. 

But I understand American police forces in general suck at deescalating any type of situation. Much more fun to beat up protesters.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 05:20:48 PM
I am not a police body given the legitimate use of force. My car is not a police car. What I would do is immaterial to this case. Police cars also do not hold such a special place in my heart that would warrant unleashing forceful repression of a demonstration. 

But I understand American police forces in general suck at deescalating any type of situation. Much more fun to beat up protesters.

I don't understand how public property should be given less protection than private.  Those police cars were bought with tax payer money and were presumably generating benefits for the residents of South Minneapolis.

What you would do seems very material to me.  The police are acting on our behalf.  If we prefer our property to not be destroyed, and would act to protect it, so should they.  If we're indifferent to the destruction of our property then we can instruct the police to act the same way.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2020, 09:20:33 AM
Quote from: fromtia on May 27, 2020, 09:16:43 AM
Racism is over though, and this sort of thing also happens to white people apparently, but the media always misses it.

I don't understand that argument. So long as the police also kill white people then they shouldn't be held accountable? Talk about a bizarre whataboutism. Pretty sure if a citizen ends up killed by the police an investigation needs to be made and disciplinary action taken if necessary. That is just respecting the civil rights of our people. What about the fifth amendment to the Constition?

Who is claiming police shouldn't be accountable?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2020, 06:09:14 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 28, 2020, 05:20:48 PM

I don't understand how public property should be given less protection than private.  Those police cars were bought with tax payer money and were presumably generating benefits for the residents of South Minneapolis.

What you would do seems very material to me.  The police are acting on our behalf.  If we prefer our property to not be destroyed, and would act to protect it, so should they.  If we're indifferent to the destruction of our property then we can instruct the police to act the same way.

Because they are the police. The Police are not acting on your behalf. They are protecting eachother. They would not hesitate to let you die too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.