The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2017, 12:01:17 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2017, 09:54:15 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2017, 03:48:53 AM
You are stating as fact something that was arbitrated and ruled against.  If you have something besides what was in your link to substantiate your claim, please present it.
You're setting an awfully high and circular standard for citizens to judge whether a miscarriage of justice has been committed.  If the kangaroo court has seen it, you can't bring it up again.

In fact I asked you to bring it up again.  In my humble opinion you need some proof to state as fact that "he planted a gun."

Only the police officer's DNA was found on the gun, not on the supposed owner.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2017, 12:42:35 PM

That's not what the article says.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2017, 01:13:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2017, 12:42:35 PM

That's not what the article says.

I'm pretty sure it does.

The prosecution cited footage of Stockley rummaging through a bag in the back of the police vehicle. That was when Stockley retrieved the weapon, they argued. Prosecutors also pointed to the fact that Stockley's DNA had been found on the weapon.
But in his ruling, Wilson said the prosecution's argument was "not supported by the evidence."
"This court ... is simply not firmly convinced of the defendant's guilt," he wrote in his 30-page decision. "Agonizingly, this court has (pored) over the evidence again and again."

The gun was too large, Wilson said, for Stockley to hide it from the cameras at the scene.
Additionally, Wilson found that the prosecution had not sufficiently explained how Smith could have been wounded in his lower left abdomen, given he was sitting inside a car on the driver's side at the time he was killed.
The location of the wound, according to the doctor who conducted the autopsy and testified, could suggest Smith had been reaching to his right for something inside the vehicle, Wilson said.
The judge also cited two witnesses who testified during the trial that the absence of Smith's DNA on the weapon does not necessarily mean he didn't touch the gun.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tonitrus

You left off the grand judicial reasoning the judge used...

QuoteWilson said it wouldn't be unusual for Smith to have a gun.
"An urban heroin dealer not in possession of a firearm would be an anomaly," the judge wrote.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 16, 2017, 01:44:07 PM

"An urban heroin dealer not in possession of a firearm would be an anomaly," the judge wrote.

That one's hilarious.  I think he's watched way too much TV.

The Brain

Urbane heorin dealers are so much better. I never deal with any others.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 16, 2017, 01:44:07 PM

So ignore evidence and rely on stereotypes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2017, 07:00:10 PM
So ignore evidence and rely on stereotypes?

I don't even know what kind of stereotype that is, other than Hollywood's.  Dealers rarely, if ever, carry a weapon.  If they get caught, possession is bad enough;  possession with intent to distribute plus a firearm?  You're just asking for exponential jail time, especially when firearms are something that's never plea bargained away, since the concept of the 4th Amendment has been whittled away over the years.  The only time a dealer carries a weapon is when he's on his way to kill another dealer.

No, this judge's ruling was completely reverse engineered to get the result they wanted.

CountDeMoney

Looks like a justified shooting to me.  Shame officers weren't armed with a Taser, would've been more fun. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/09/17/knife-wielding-campus-pride-leader-killed-by-police-at-georgia-tech/

Acid? Bath salts? Drunk?

[11Bravo]Gay.  +10 bonus points.[/11Bravo]

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Yeah, suicide by cop. I saw the video--the kid was shouting at the cops to shoot them while vaguely threatening with the multi-tool they were carrying. I wish the police had been a bit more eager to just physically restrain them rather than shoot.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on September 17, 2017, 08:07:04 PMI wish the police had been a bit more eager to just physically restrain them rather than shoot.

Yes.

Is there a reason why they don't show up with shields in cases such as these?
I am guessing the prevalence of guns and the frequent shooters on campus means you never quite know.
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 17, 2017, 10:05:17 PM
Is there a reason why they don't show up with shields in cases such as these?

Yes, there is a reason.  Because it would be stupid.