The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

The Wiccans in the neighborhood are open carrying now. And it is hilarious. Somebody is gonna shoot themselves in the foot.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Another day, another murderer with a badge gets off. http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/us/jason-stockley-officer-shooting-verdict/index.html

I fear that we're going to reach a point where the criminal justice system will lose its legitimacy, and will be justifiably seen as a tool of oppression.  Nothing good can come of this if that comes to pass.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2017, 02:21:45 PM
Another day, another murderer with a badge gets off. http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/15/us/jason-stockley-officer-shooting-verdict/index.html

I fear that we're going to reach a point where the criminal justice system will lose its legitimacy, and will be justifiably seen as a tool of oppression.  Nothing good can come of this if that comes to pass.

The national guard is on alert.  Our newest governor is essentially Siege, a crazy army Jew.  He promises to come down hard on any rioting.  Can't say that I blame him.  I wouldn't want to be in St. Louis tonight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

What do you think will make us reach said point?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Chemical munitions being used in St Louis residential neighborhoods.  :ph34r:

Admiral Yi

I don't see enough in your link to determine there has been a travesty of justice.

DGuller

Cop says he's going to kill the suspect.  Cop proceeds to kill the suspect and plant a gun on him.  Cop is not guilty.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2017, 11:20:08 PM

You can't predict what will start a forest fire.  All you can do is notice that there is an awful lot of dry underbrush piled up.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2017, 02:05:27 AM
Cop says he's going to kill the suspect.  Cop proceeds to kill the suspect and plant a gun on him.  Cop is not guilty.

You are stating as fact something that was arbitrated and ruled against.  If you have something besides what was in your link to substantiate your claim, please present it.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2017, 03:48:53 AM
You are stating as fact something that was arbitrated and ruled against.  If you have something besides what was in your link to substantiate your claim, please present it.

I think that the circumstantial evidence and direct evidence don't allow for a lot of reasonable doubt.  The judge essentially said that, since the video evidence didn't directly show the cop planting the gun and he would expect it to, all of the other (very incriminating) evidence wasn't enough.  I find his argument very suspect.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2017, 02:07:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2017, 11:20:08 PM

You can't predict what will start a forest fire.  All you can do is notice that there is an awful lot of dry underbrush piled up.

I'm just wondering what would change to make it suddenly justifiable to hold that position. Sounds like it already is often a tool of oppression.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2017, 08:01:13 AM
I'm just wondering what would change to make it suddenly justifiable to hold that position. Sounds like it already is often a tool of oppression.
Logically, nothing.  It's just a matter of when emotions will reach a boiling point.  Maybe we're just waiting for a particularly egregious case with a particularly egregious "fuck you" levels of injustice, the one that shocks the conscience of even closet racists.

We're sort of getting into the same arguments that the antifa debate touched upon.  On the one hand, we have a country where there is law and order.  On the other hand, the concept of law and order is that the state is providing a minimum level of justice to the aggrieved parties so that people don't take things into their own hands.  The state has the responsibility to maintain its legitimacy as an arbiter.  The possibility of an uprising is the ultimate check on the state to not abuse its monopoly power on violence.

How do you tell when it's time to take things into your own hands?  It's sort of like deciding when it's time to mutiny.  Whether you were right to do so or not depends on whether you were ultimately successful.

DGuller

You're setting an awfully high and circular standard for citizens to judge whether a miscarriage of justice has been committed.  If the kangaroo court has seen it, you can't bring it up again.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2017, 01:47:11 AM
I don't see enough in your link to determine there has been a travesty of justice.

QuotePeople say all kinds of things in the heat of the moment or while in stressful situations, and whether Stockley's statement that "we're killing this motherfucker," which can be ambiguous depending on the context, constituted a real threat of action or was a means of releasing tension has to be judged by his subsequent conduct. The court does not believe Stockley's conduct immediately following the end of the pursuit is consistent with the conduct of a person intentionally killing another person unlawfully.

:lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2017, 09:54:15 AM
You're setting an awfully high and circular standard for citizens to judge whether a miscarriage of justice has been committed.  If the kangaroo court has seen it, you can't bring it up again.

In fact I asked you to bring it up again.  In my humble opinion you need some proof to state as fact that "he planted a gun."