The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on September 06, 2017, 11:01:14 PM
While I think training is important, I expect the real issue is leadership and accountability.
My guess is training is a big part of it.  The more trained you are by the book, the less likely you are to be initiated by the "okay, now here is how it's really done in the real world" wise guy cops once you graduate, and the less likely you are to initiate the next batch of new cops likewise.  At the root of a lot of US policing problems is the culture of brotherhood rather than civil service.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2017, 06:23:54 AM
I don't know what your argument is.

I'm not making an argument.  I'm making a judgement.

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2017, 05:53:25 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2017, 02:48:11 AM
In Sweden training is 2.5 years.

QuoteSince 2015, the National Police Academy is entirely outsourced by the Swedish Police Authority and training is carried out at three universities: Södertörn, Umeå and Växjö.[85] The training now covers five terms, and the last two include six months of paid workplace practice as a Police Trainee (equivalent to two and a half years of full-time studying).

So it's a coed for-profit degree with a paid internship.  Cute.

I'd bet something about uni being 100% free for its students in Sweden.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2017, 09:02:49 AM

On what? All those universities are government agencies and not for profit. The rest I don't quite understand how it's relevant.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2017, 09:05:40 AM

On what? All those universities are government agencies and not for profit. The rest I don't quite understand how it's relevant.

It doesn't take 2.5 years to learn how to identify Jews.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2017, 11:18:18 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2017, 09:05:40 AM

It doesn't take 2.5 years to learn how to identify Jews.

I see.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2017, 02:48:11 AM
In Sweden training is 2.5 years.

I'm sure that works for a backwards country with a population of 10 million.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

How does it work, then? The larger the country, the less training policemen should have? The more backward the country, the more educated police officers are?
Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 07, 2017, 07:14:13 PM
How does it work, then? The larger the country, the less training policemen should have? The more backward the country, the more educated police officers are?

Too expensive
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

In Sweden the police and the school system are heavily debated because they are both perceived to be in crisis. Regarding the school system one of the major identified weaknesses is the abysmal quality of teachers, and how that career today attracts only the dregs barfed up by the school system (they pretty much accept all applicants these days). Regarding the police the problems are mainly identified as horrible inefficiency and general very poor management at the top level, and the very low number of policemen in Sweden. Sweden has about half the number of police officers per capita compared to real countries (Sweden has about 20k officers, AFAIK NYPD for instance has almost twice that for a smaller population). We also pay our police officers almost nothing, certainly nowhere near for instance what US cops are paid. However the quality of police officers are never put forward as a problem in Sweden, while poor quality is a sorry recurring theme in the US.

I'm just saying the above as a kind of general info. However my impression is that the length of police training in Sweden isn't a problem but rather an asset. My guess is that having well trained police officers is money well spent. AFAIK the US is the outlier in civilized countries when it comes to the length of police officer training.

The Brain

Quote from: 11B4V on September 07, 2017, 07:30:33 PM

Too expensive

Per capita isn't a thing in the US?

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2017, 02:11:51 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 07, 2017, 07:30:33 PM

Too expensive

Per capita isn't a thing in the US?

We prefer to be decapitated.

Liep

The new South Park game features a difficulty slider a little different from other games. I thought it would fit in here.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on September 08, 2017, 04:11:33 AM
The new South Park game features a difficulty slider a little different from other games. I thought it would fit in here.