The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 06, 2017, 09:45:07 PM
Seedy will be pleased to hear that the New Carisle deputy was a MP. 10 veteran points for him.

10% disability = 50 points

MAH DISLOCATED FINGER

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2017, 09:48:33 PM
Still though, as long as it's considered "the brotherhood" there's going to be an issue with incorporating civilian management and oversight. 
I would argue that "cannot the mayor/city council just tell them to suck it up and take it?", except the po-po probably has enough dirt on their low-level corruption shenanigans to keep them quiet.  That and the "omg, tough on crime!!11" voters.

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2017, 09:53:01 PM
Still though, as long as it's considered "the brotherhood" there's going to be an issue with incorporating civilian management and oversight. 
I would argue that "cannot the mayor/city council just tell them to suck it up and take it?", except the po-po probably has enough dirt on their low-level corruption shenanigans to keep them quiet.  That and the "omg, tough on crime!!11" voters.

The union will love that. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2017, 09:51:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 06, 2017, 09:45:07 PM
Seedy will be pleased to hear that the New Carisle deputy was a MP. 10 veteran points for him.

10% disability = 50 points

MAH DISLOCATED FINGER

Hell, if I was a vet, I'd have million points.

MAH LIVER, KIDNEYS, GALLBLADDER, ARTHRITIS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

That's got nothing to do with anything.  It's all about the Us versus Them mentality.  Civilians can't be trusted.  They don't know what happens on the Thin Blue Line.  They're not out there, they don't understand. All that bullshit.

grumbler mentioned why good cops are rare to the point of irrelevancy?  It's because they quit.  When I said I was worried about my fellow coworkers getting me killed or landing me in jail, I wasn't fucking kidding. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 06, 2017, 09:59:28 PM
Hell, if I was a vet, I'd have million points.

MAH LIVER, KIDNEYS, GALLBLADDER, ARTHRITIS

I give them a ration of shit at work about my Veterans points from the War on Drugs.  And at least my side won--which is more than I can say about them and their Afghanistan and Iraq bullshit.

Ed Anger

Seedy needed to do what my brother did, find a nice small city of 20-30 thousand and do just about nothing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 06, 2017, 10:05:15 PM
Seedy needed to do what my brother did, find a nice small city of 20-30 thousand and do just about nothing.

That shit never works out, man.

Tonitrus

Quote from: 11B4V on September 06, 2017, 09:54:48 PM

The union will love that. :lol:

Public employees should not be allowed to have unions.  :sleep:

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2017, 09:20:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 06, 2017, 07:03:24 PM
Agreed.  The amount of training US cops get is laughable compared to other civilized countries.  That certainly doesn't help instill the culture of professionalism.

What are you talking about.
The average training time for a US cop is 19 weeks.  In many European countries cops have to train for many years.

Jacob

While I think training is important, I expect the real issue is leadership and accountability.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on September 06, 2017, 10:31:49 PM
The average training time for a US cop is 19 weeks.  In many European countries cops have to train for many years.

19 weeks for an academy class, maybe.  It's not an undergrad college.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2017, 02:48:11 AM
In Sweden training is 2.5 years.

QuoteSince 2015, the National Police Academy is entirely outsourced by the Swedish Police Authority and training is carried out at three universities: Södertörn, Umeå and Växjö.[85] The training now covers five terms, and the last two include six months of paid workplace practice as a Police Trainee (equivalent to two and a half years of full-time studying).

So it's a coed for-profit degree with a paid internship.  Cute.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2017, 05:53:25 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2017, 02:48:11 AM
In Sweden training is 2.5 years.

QuoteSince 2015, the National Police Academy is entirely outsourced by the Swedish Police Authority and training is carried out at three universities: Södertörn, Umeå and Växjö.[85] The training now covers five terms, and the last two include six months of paid workplace practice as a Police Trainee (equivalent to two and a half years of full-time studying).

So it's a coed for-profit degree with a paid internship.  Cute.

I don't know what your argument is.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.