The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Refreshingly candid. :bleeding:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-county/officer-to-woman-during-traffic-stop-we-only-kill-black-people-right/600704431
QuoteCOBB COUNTY, Ga. - Exclusive dash-cam video obtained by Channel 2 Action News caught an officer's interaction with a woman who said she was afraid to move her hands during a traffic stop.

Cobb County police Chief Mike Register told Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Mark Winne that after Channel 2 Action News submitted an open-records request, he and his command staff looked at the video.

"Remember, we only kill black people. We only kill black people, right?" the Cobb County police officer can be heard saying on the video.

On Friday, they opened an internal investigation.

Register said the officer heard on video is Lt. Greg Abbott. Register said Abbott has been assigned to administrative duties pending the outcome of the investigation.

According to Register, the recording is part of a DUI stop. The woman said she was hesitant to put her hands down to pick up a cellphone because she didn't want to get shot.

"No matter what context it was said, it shouldn't have been said," Register said.

Suri Chadha Jimenez, who is representing the driver in the case, said he believes the officer was being sarcastic after the woman "gave him some lip."

"It makes you cringe when you hear it. It's unacceptable," Jimenez said.

Jimenez says the fear minorities have when stopped is real.

Abbott's attorney Lance LoRusso gave Channel 2 Action News the following statement:

" "Lt. Greg Abbott is a highly respected 28-year veteran of the Cobb County Police Department. He is cooperating with the department's internal investigation and will continue to do so. His comments must be observed in their totality to understand their context. He was attempting to de-escalate a situation involving an uncooperative passenger. In context, his comments were clearly aimed at attempting to gain compliance by using the passenger's own statements and reasoning to avoid making an arrest."

Register said Abbott had been a good officer and he wasn't aware of any racial bias complaints.

"We're not making excuses. We're meeting this head-on and we're going to deal with it," Register said.

According to Register, the incident happened last year, before he became chief. This was also before an International Association of Chiefs of Police report gave the Cobb Police Department a high community

Register said they've responded to the report by instituting a faith forum, precinct discussion groups, training changes and more.

"We are going to keep going forward to make sure we, as a police department, service the community in a most professional way -- all segments of the community," Register said.

This was a story we broke on Channel 2 Action News at 6. We'll stay on top of it and follow any new developments in the investigation.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

This is one of those cases where you really have to be careful and have a full picture before passing judgment.  It sounds a lot more plausible that he said it sarcastically rather than that he had a heart-to-heart with a person he was about to book for a DUI.

jimmy olsen

I don't care if he's my best friend, shooting me in those circumstances warrants losing your job!  :wacko:

http://newcarlislenews.net/index.php/public-records/sheriff-reports-6/3290-deputy-shoots-new-carlisle-news-photographer
Deputy Shoots New Carlisle News Photographer

By Seth Gecko     | published on Sep 05, 2017   

New Carlisle News photographer Andy Grimm was shot by a Clark County deputy Monday evening.

Andy had left the office around 10:00 p.m. to take pictures of lightning.

There was a traffic stop on Main Street near Studebaker's Restaurant involved, but Andy was not the subject of the stop.

He had his camera and tripod in his hands and Deputy Jake Shaw apparently mistook it for a weapon and fired, striking Andy in the side.

He was rushed to Miami Valley Hospital for surgery. He is expected to recover from his wounds.

"I was going out to take pictures and I saw the traffic stop and I thought, 'hey, cool. I'll get some pictures here.'" He said he pulled into Studebaker's parking lot in full view of the deputy, got out of his Jeep in full view of the deputy and started setting up his tripod and camera. "I turned around toward the cars and then 'pop, pop,'"

Andy said the deputy gave him no warning. "I was just doing my job," he said.

"I know Jake. I like Jake. I don't want him to lose his job over this."

andyThe Attorney General's BCI division is investigating the incident, and we will update this story as soon as they release their findings.

Andy is well known in the area for his love of photography. The outpouring of love and affection for him on Facebook has been overwhelming.

Everyone at the New Carlisle News thanks you for your support.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

I guess he couldn't see the PRESS card in his fedora.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2017, 12:37:51 AM
I don't care if he's my best friend, shooting me in those circumstances warrants losing your job!  :wacko:

The streets of New Carlisle must be one vicious dystopia for a policeman to be so paranoid he shoots a guy he knows personally out of paranoia his camera is some kind of high powered tripod using weapon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

First Dillinger robs a bank there back in the day and now this.

I might give the deputy a pass because of the thunderstorms that night. Maybe. But it is the Clark county sheriff department.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/utah-nurse-alex-wubbels-thanked-hero_us_59acf0bde4b0b5e530ff7db5

An Idaho police department is hailing nurse Alex Wubbels as a hero for standing up to Salt Lake City Detective Jeff Payne, who tried to take blood from a patient without a warrant or the patient's consent.

That patient, it turns out, is William Gray, a reserve officer in Rigby, a city about 15 miles north of Idaho Falls.

"The Rigby Police Department would like to thank the nurse involved and hospital staff for standing firm, and protecting Officer Gray's rights as a patient and victim," the agency said on Facebook. "Protecting the rights of others is truly a heroic act."

Gray, who is also a truck driver, was badly injured in July when a suspect in a car fleeing police slammed into his truck. The suspect died, and Gray was flown to the University of Utah Burn Center.

In the hospital, police tried to take blood from Gray, who was not under arrest and not conscious and therefore unable to consent to the blood draw. In addition, police did not have a warrant.

Wubbels told Payne he could not draw blood under those circumstances and even got other hospital officials on the phone to confirm that policy to the detective.

She was arrested, and eventually released without being charged.

Payne is now facing a criminal investigation. Another officer is also on leave as the incident is investigated.

The Rigby Police Department said it was not aware of the incident surrounding the blood draw until last week.

"It is important to remember that Officer Gray is the victim in this horrible event, and that at no time was he under any suspicion of wrongdoing," the department said. "As he continues to heal, we would ask that his family be given privacy, respect, and prayers for continued recovery and peace."

Berkut

The detective involved in arresting the nurse needs to be fired if for no other reason than he is just to god damned stupid to be a police officer.

Arresting a fucking nurse? How could he possibly think, regardless of anything, that that could end in any manner that would be good for anyone?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Lieutenant told him too, so he did it. Good cops follow orders and what not. He's also a part time EMT. Since like 1983.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on September 06, 2017, 02:11:15 PM
Lieutenant told him too, so he did it. Good cops follow orders and what not. He's also a part time EMT. Since like 1983.

"I vas chust following orderz!" hasn't been a good defense since Nuremberg.

I am starting to think that maybe the US needs to do a clean sweep of its police and hire a whole new batch, screening against stupidity this time.  Yeah, there would be a transition cost, but the cost of allowing the current batch of fuckwits to stay in power is also high.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Sounds like he should be shit-canned from that too...

QuoteAs he stands in the hospital parking lot after the arrest, Payne says to another officer that he wonders how this event will affect an off-duty job transporting patients for an ambulance company.

"I'll bring them all the transients and take good patients elsewhere," Payne says.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2017, 02:32:57 PM

"I vas chust following orderz!" hasn't been a good defense since Nuremberg.

I am starting to think that maybe the US needs to do a clean sweep of its police and hire a whole new batch, screening against stupidity this time.  Yeah, there would be a transition cost, but the cost of allowing the current batch of fuckwits to stay in power is also high.

Personally I think some sort of uniform minimum police standards and licensing properly regulated and enforced would be really useful for the US. If not Federally, then at least on a per state basis.

Sure firing everyone would be satisfying and get a bunch of idiots out (and some good cops, no doubt), but without a proper regulation and management framework you'd just get more of the same after a while.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

It would have been a decidedly more interesting video if I had been on the scene as the University police officer.