The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I'm thinking that maybe the investigation of police shooting and any trial that comes from that should be handled by the feds and not the locals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

:lol: Not these feds.  Not for a while anyway.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2017, 04:17:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2017, 08:22:39 AM
I also have the feeling the University of Cincinnati cop is going to walk.  If he ends up with a hung jury again here in his second trial, I don't see them trying him a third time.  Prosecution screwed up; should have charged him with manslaughter instead of murder.

They knew what they were doing.

Doubtful.  Seems like mere incompetence.  At the beginning of (or right before) the first trial, the prosecutor tried to get it changed to reckless manslaughter, but the judge denied, saying he should have done that when charges were first brought.  I think reckless manslaughter would have been open & shut, and at least Tensing would have been put away on something.  But no, they had to swing for the home run right at the beginning.

It's a shitty situation.  I think murder was something of an over-charge, but I would have looked the other way had he been convicted.  Now things are going to get out of hand. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Can't keep track without a score card.  Is this about the little kid with the replica gun?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2017, 04:53:36 PM
Can't keep track without a score card.  Is this about the little kid with the replica gun?

This is the cop who reached into the car of an uncooperative black motorist, then thought he was in danger because he had his hand in the car, and so pulled out his gun and blew the driver away.

I agree with Spicy that reckless manslaughter was the proper charge. 

I think the cop who shot the fleeing motorist in the back about six times got away with blatant murder one, though, if I have the scorecard right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2017, 04:48:23 PM
It's a shitty situation.  I think murder was something of an over-charge, but I would have looked the other way had he been convicted.

That's damned swell of you.  Glad you could see yourself through to that.

The Minsky Moment

They don't have lesser included offenses in Ohio?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 23, 2017, 07:51:32 PM
They don't have lesser included offenses in Ohio?

I'm sure we do, but somehow the prosecution managed to pigeonhole itself. Not sure how it happened.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2017, 06:35:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2017, 04:48:23 PM
It's a shitty situation.  I think murder was something of an over-charge, but I would have looked the other way had he been convicted.

That's damned swell of you.  Glad you could see yourself through to that.

Stay woke.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2017, 05:40:00 PM
This is the cop who reached into the car of an uncooperative black motorist, then thought he was in danger because he had his hand in the car, and so pulled out his gun and blew the driver away.
He wasn't uncooperative.  he was asked to get his license, he told the cop he had a gun and he tried to get his license from his pocket.

That he felt he was in danger in undeniable: he was facing a blackman and cops tend to assume all blacks are dangerous, even balck cops, because that's apparently their training.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on June 24, 2017, 01:55:47 AM
He wasn't uncooperative.  he was asked to get his license, he told the cop he had a gun and he tried to get his license from his pocket.

That he felt he was in danger in undeniable: he was facing a blackman and cops tend to assume all blacks are dangerous, even balck cops, because that's apparently their training.
You're thinking of the different in case.  In this case the driver started the car after being asked to step out, so the cop shot him in the head as a precaution.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2017, 09:17:45 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 24, 2017, 01:55:47 AM

You're thinking of the different in case.  In this case the driver started the car after being asked to step out, so the cop shot him in the head as a precaution.

Wasn't that the university cop?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2017, 04:17:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2017, 08:22:39 AM
I also have the feeling the University of Cincinnati cop is going to walk.  If he ends up with a hung jury again here in his second trial, I don't see them trying him a third time.  Prosecution screwed up; should have charged him with manslaughter instead of murder.

They knew what they were doing.

If they convict him they're the enemy, but if they prosecute him their just doing what they have to do under public pressure.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2017, 09:17:45 AM
In this case the driver started the car after being asked to step out, so the cop shot him in the head as a precaution.

When somebody like that decided to rabbit on a traffic stop, we'd just have to go meet them at their house later on or the next day.  But like all you fucking autistics insist, I'm out of touch.