The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2016, 01:51:37 AM
Do we use this thread also to discuss anti-police thugs rioting and destroying property in response to shootings - or just for shootings?

:lol:  That's another thread, yeah.

garbon

Pretty solid though her prop usage was not so good.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/297243-black-dem-illustrates-list-of-things-that-will-get-you-killed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=154&v=IoGdX5sFU2I

QuoteBlack Dem illustrates 'list of things that will get you killed'

A senior member of the Congressional Black Caucus took to the House floor on Thursday to demonstrate seemingly innocuous activities that preceded the deaths of African-Americans in police confrontations.

Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) used a variety of props to illustrate her argument that African-Americans are primarily viewed with suspicion — even if they are doing something typically viewed as non-threatening.

"Each time we lose a precious life to fear, distress and prejudice, the list of things that will get you killed as a black person in America gets a little longer," Lee said.

She held up a packet of Skittles, the candy Trayvon Martin bought before being shot by an unofficial neighborhood watchman in 2012; a subway card, a reference to Oscar Grant's death in 2009 after being fatally shot by a BART Police officer in Oakland, Calif.; a pack of cigarettes, which Eric Garner was selling in 2014 when Staten Island, N.Y., police put him in a fatal chokehold; a CD case, like those Alton Sterling had been selling in Baton Rouge in July when shot and killed by police; a wallet, like the one Philando Castile allegedly reached for in July before being fatally shot by a Minnesota police officer; a photo of a toy gun, like one 12-year-old Tamir Rice was playing with before his 2014 shooting death; a license plate, because Samuel DuBose was stopped and shot by a Cincinnati police for a missing license plate in 2015; and a red toy car to represent traffic incidents that led to the deaths of Sandra Bland, Walter Scott and Terence Crutcher.
"Should any of this warrant a death sentence? Is this the America you want to live in?" Lee asked.

Lee recalled having "tough conversations" with her sons when they were young about the need to be careful in interactions with police because being black made it less likely they'd get the benefit of the doubt.

"Since Michael Brown was shot in Ferguson two years ago, 2,195 people have been killed by police in our nation. As the mother of two black men and the grandmother of five black grandchildren, I worry that someone I love could become number 2,196," she said.

Tensions have flared again in recent days after three fatal police shootings of African-Americans: teenager Tyre King in Columbus, Ohio; Crutcher in Tulsa, Okla.; and Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte, N.C. Protests turned violent late Wednesday night in Charlotte, leaving one person seriously injured. 

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus are planning to take a bus to the Justice Department later Thursday to hand-deliver a letter to Attorney General Loretta Lynch asking for an investigation into the police shootings of African-Americans. 
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I was reading an article on huffpo (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-halstead/dear-fellow-white-people-_b_11109842.html?) about why some people are so insistent about claiming all lives matter in response to black lives matter. In it, it had a link to those implicit association tests from Harvard (https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html). I took the Skin tone test and the Race test. Here were my results:

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Dark Skinned People over Light Skinned People.
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 01:24:23 PM
Pretty solid though her prop usage was not so good.

Watched only a smidge, but it seemed like her shpiel tracked pretty closely with the props.  With the exception of the toy gun the props are all ridiculous strawmen.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 02:07:10 PM
I was reading an article on huffpo (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-halstead/dear-fellow-white-people-_b_11109842.html?) about why some people are so insistent about claiming all lives matter in response to black lives matter. In it, it had a link to those implicit association tests from Harvard (https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html). I took the Skin tone test and the Race test. Here were my results:

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Dark Skinned People over Light Skinned People.
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

The hearts of humans are filled with contradictions.

It seems so ridiculous to get hung up on such a semantic point. Obviously the intent is to say that lives of dark skinned people also matter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 02:13:40 PM
It seems so ridiculous to get hung up on such a semantic point. Obviously the intent is to say that lives of dark skinned people also matter.

I liked this line: If you went to a Breast Cancer Awareness event, you wouldn't think that they were saying that other types of cancer don't matter. And you'd be shocked if someone showed up with a sign saying "Colon Cancer Matters" or chanting "All Cancer Patients Matter."

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 02:07:10 PM

So, you tend to prefer white people over black people, but among white people you prefer those with darker rather than light skin. Similarly, among black people you prefer darker skin over lighter skin?

I.e. you are biased in favour of dark skinned white people.

Valmy

Maybe he just likes dark skinned men born in Europe. That would explain his current location.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 02:17:20 PM
Maybe he just likes dark skinned men born in Europe. That would explain his current location.

England - home of the darkies!

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 02:20:06 PM

England - home of the darkies!

Well if they are there London is probably a good place to find them.

Admiral Yi

Maybe he likes Asians, Arabs, African-Africans, etc. more than whites.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2016, 02:29:53 PM

Maybe he likes Asians, Arabs, African-Africans, etc. more than whites.

The skin-tone test had drawing of people (all different races though mainly white people) either in white tones are dark tones.

Race test was white people and black people faces close up so as not to show anything beyond face (no hair for instance).

So it is though I prefer white people with deep tans. :hmm:

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Failure to comply in the absence of an immediate threat does not warrant the use of deadly force.

"Because he didn't do what I told him to do" is not a shoot/don't shoot qualifier in this situation.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 18, 2016, 01:19:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2016, 01:10:56 PM
Polish hockey puck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC3MY-4Ek0Q

I admit, I really love that video.  Seems like you could splice video of that guy knocking out windows with anything.

"The Dow Jones lost 300 points in heavy trading today"
*Smash window*

"I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I'll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words."
*Smash Window*

"Do you have problems with chronic hemorrhoids?"
*Smash window*
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017