The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2016, 01:15:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2016, 01:13:18 PM
Appropriate for what? Telling people that if you run from the cops and you use your family as human shields, they may get hurt?

People in England need to be told this by using examples from Oklahoma? :hmm:

When he gets like that, it is best to leave him to his own devices.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 01:35:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2016, 01:15:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2016, 01:13:18 PM
Appropriate for what? Telling people that if you run from the cops and you use your family as human shields, they may get hurt?

People in England need to be told this by using examples from Oklahoma? :hmm:

When he gets like that, it is best to leave him to his own devices.

Yep.  If we ignore him, he'll soon turn Blackmon into a terrorist.

I'm with Valmy.  The more publicity these incidents get, the more shame people will feel for having police departments like this, and the sooner they get rid of some of those cops and all of that mentality.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

The Guardian does have a US version and an Australian version as well as the British one, so lots of news from those places is on their website.

The behaviour of many US cops is quite terrifying from the British point of view. No doubt there are complex reasons for this but, just so you know, if you holiday in the UK then you can treat cops as fellow human beings rather than an as an armed occupying force.

Valmy

I know in France I was shocked at how the French treated their police. Regularly calling them names and screaming at them. Man you really have to have a desire for a bad day to try that shit here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2016, 02:16:54 PM
Man you really have to have a desire for a bad day to try that shit here.

Man you have to be willing to gamble with your life to try that in the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 01, 2016, 02:11:58 PM
The Guardian does have a US version and an Australian version as well as the British one, so lots of news from those places is on their website.

I wasn't aware of that.  Thanks for pointing it out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Ok, so maybe America does have a problem with institutionalized police violence. Cop fired for not killing unarmed man.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/09/12/west-virginia-cop-fired-for-not-killing-a-man-with-an-unloaded-gun/?utm_term=.573f3cc858e4

*edit* well he was armed, but with a unloaded gun.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

So he de-escalates the guy, knowing he wants Suicide-By-Cop, and two officers show up and shoot him dead anyway.  And he gets fired for "failure to neutralize a threat."
That's just super.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 13, 2016, 08:46:53 AM
Ok, so maybe America does have a problem with institutionalized police violence. Cop fired for not killing unarmed man.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/09/12/west-virginia-cop-fired-for-not-killing-a-man-with-an-unloaded-gun/?utm_term=.573f3cc858e4

*edit* well he was armed, but with a unloaded gun.

That's just messed up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2016, 12:01:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2016, 11:57:09 AM
Jesus Christ.  They brought in four other cops and kicked in a door over a traffic violation.  What, did they think the this was some violent cell of the Black Panthers?

Never run from the cops. They will lose their damn minds.
:yes:
yes, somehow, that happens to all of them.  Some power trip, I guess.  Police academies should maybe revise their teachings a bit on some aspects like there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on September 13, 2016, 03:13:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2016, 12:01:37 PM
Never run from the cops. They will lose their damn minds.
:yes:
yes, somehow, that happens to all of them.  Some power trip, I guess.  Police academies should maybe revise their teachings a bit on some aspects like there.

It's adrenaline.  And anger. 

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

11B4V

:blurgh:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".