The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

There was an officer involved shooting in Cincy last week where the assailant had robbed a grocery store, threatened employees, and was charging at the police officer with a knife.

BLM and other advocacy groups keep looking for an angle to criticize the CPD, though.  Can't pass up an opportunity for grievances, rage, etc.  I've heard that the officer "escalated the situation" by drawing his weapon when he saw the assailant brandishing a knife, and that he "should have stayed in his vehicle with the window rolled up" which supposedly would have resolved the situation.  Also the assailant was mentally ill, so there's probably something the CPD should have done to get him his meds before the incident occurred.

These groups hurt their stated cause when they engage in this sort of silliness.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

What is the deal with this DoJ report on the Baltimore PD?  I've only seen a bunch of snippets on twitter but it sounds like some ugly stuff.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2016, 10:25:06 AM

These groups hurt their stated cause when they engage in this sort of silliness.

This has been the challenge of BLM since the beginning. They let too many other things get in the way of what should be their aim. And I don't mean in the sense they will offend Whitey or whatever but they let themselves be hijacked by all sorts of grievances and lose focus and credibility.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

There was an officer involved shooting in Cincy last week where the assailant had robbed a grocery store, threatened employees, and was charging at the police officer with a knife.

BLM and other advocacy groups keep looking for an angle to criticize the CPD, though.  Can't pass up an opportunity for grievances, rage, etc.  I've heard that the officer "escalated the situation" by drawing his weapon when he saw the assailant brandishing a knife, and that he "should have stayed in his vehicle with the window rolled up" which supposedly would have resolved the situation.  Also the assailant was mentally ill, so there's probably something the CPD should have done to get him his meds before the incident occurred.

Meh, stupid people are stupid.  If the cops hadn't been stupid enough to kill 12-year-old kids within 2 seconds of arriving on-scene, or to start murdering people and then planting evidence on them while being videotaped, a lot of this nonsense could have been avoided.  Instead, we now have to listen to idiots on both the left and the right ignore evidence in favor of silliness.  And we can't just say 'a pox on both of their houses" because both sides need to be involved in a solution to this pressing problem.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2016, 11:20:20 AM

This has been the challenge of BLM since the beginning. They let too many other things get in the way of what should be their aim. And I don't mean in the sense they will offend Whitey or whatever but they let themselves be hijacked by all sorts of grievances and lose focus and credibility.

Pretty much any popular movement like BLM or OWS will get hijacked at some point.  The question is whether BLM have leaders that can get them back on track, or will they end up just dissipating their followers' dedication like OWS did.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: sbr on August 10, 2016, 11:14:30 AM
What is the deal with this DoJ report on the Baltimore PD?  I've only seen a bunch of snippets on twitter but it sounds like some ugly stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/08/10/the-justice-departments-stunning-report-on-the-baltimore-police-department/?utm_term=.2c53f61cd5dc

Quote"BPD's legacy of zero tolerance enforcement continues to drive its policing in certain Baltimore neighborhoods and leads to unconstitutional stops, searches, and arrests. Many BPD supervisors instruct officers to make frequent stops and arrests—even for minor offenses and with minimal or no suspicion—without sufficient consideration of whether this enforcement strategy promotes public safety and community trust or conforms to constitutional standards."

"BPD's pedestrian stops are concentrated on a small portion of Baltimore residents. BPD made roughly 44 percent of its stops in two small, predominantly African-American districts that contain only 11 percent of the City's population. Consequently, hundreds of individuals—nearly all of them African American—were stopped on at least 10 separate occasions from 2010– 2015. Indeed, seven African-American men were stopped more than 30 times during this period."

"Our review of incident reports and interviews with officers and community members found that officers regularly approach individuals standing or walking on City sidewalks to detain and question them and check for outstanding warrants, despite lacking reasonable suspicion to do so. Only 3.7 percent of pedestrian stops resulted in officers issuing a citation or making an arrest."

"We likewise found many instances in which officers strip search individuals without legal justification. In some cases, officers performed degrading strip searches in public, prior to making an arrest, and without grounds to believe that the searched individuals were concealing contraband on their bodies."

"Arrests without probable cause: from 2010–2015, supervisors at Baltimore's Central Booking and local prosecutors rejected over 11,000 charges made by BPD officers because they lacked probable cause or otherwise did not merit prosecution. Our review of incident reports describing warrantless arrests likewise found many examples of officers making unjustified arrests."

"While the Constitution requires individuals to receive pre-arrest notice of the specific conduct prohibited as loitering or trespassing, BPD officers approach individuals standing lawfully on sidewalks in front of public housing complexes or private businesses and arrest them unless the individuals are able to "justify" their presence to the officers' satisfaction."

"BPD uses overly aggressive tactics that unnecessarily escalate encounters, increase tensions, and lead to unnecessary force, and fails to de-escalate encounters when it would be reasonable to do so."

"BPD uses excessive force against individuals with mental health disabilities or in crisis. Due to a lack of training and improper tactics, BPD officers end up in unnecessarily violent confrontations with these vulnerable individuals."

"BPD uses unreasonable force against people who present little or no threat to officers or others. Specifically, BPD uses excessive force against (1) individuals who are already restrained and under officers' control and (2) individuals who are fleeing from officers and are not suspected of serious criminal offenses."

"Our concerns about BPD's use of excessive force are compounded by BPD's ineffective oversight of its use of force. Of the 2,818 force incidents that BPD recorded in the nearly six-year period we reviewed, BPD investigated only ten incidents based on concerns identified through its internal review. Of these ten cases, BPD found only one use of force to be excessive."

"BPD violates the First Amendment by retaliating against individuals engaged in constitutionally protected activities. Officers frequently detain and arrest members of the public for engaging in speech the officers perceive to be critical or disrespectful. And BPD officers use force against members of the public who are engaging in protected speech."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2016, 10:09:19 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/10/woman-fatally-shot-in-accident-during-fla-citizen-police-academy-lethal-force-simulation/

Now that's taking method acting a little too far.  How many gross violations of safety and common sense do we have here?

Yeah, that's pretty a obscene failure.  We always conducted "practicals" for academy classes and in-service training, but the academy staff made sure there was never a live round to be found in the complex.

Unnecessary.

CountDeMoney

BLM and other advocacy groups keep looking for an angle to criticize the CPD, though.  Can't pass up an opportunity for grievances, rage, etc.

I know, right?  Cincinnati PD usually provides all the angles and opportunities themselves.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on August 10, 2016, 11:14:30 AM

Nothing I couldn't have told you 23 years ago on the back of a cocktail napkin, let alone the past 10 years on Languish.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2016, 01:31:30 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2016, 10:09:19 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/10/woman-fatally-shot-in-accident-during-fla-citizen-police-academy-lethal-force-simulation/

Now that's taking method acting a little too far.  How many gross violations of safety and common sense do we have here?

Yeah, that's pretty a obscene failure.  We always conducted "practicals" for academy classes and in-service training, but the academy staff made sure there was never a live round to be found in the complex.

Unnecessary.

Ouchy
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

sbr

CountDeMoney

Did I accidentally screw up your post, sbr?  I think I did.   :Embarrass:

sbr

I don't think so, what do you think happened?

CountDeMoney

I have a ton of blockers on my browser, hit "Modify", not paying attention, etc.

CountDeMoney

Anyway, with very little deviation, there's nothing in there that wasn't going on 20 years ago.

Quote from: Habbaku on August 10, 2016, 12:52:57 PM

***List of same shit, different decade***

I seem to recall discussing with you and Berkut about the time-honored BPD tradition of "let's fuck with people for the sake of fucking with people" a couple years ago in a Chick-fil-A at WBC.  Funny, that.