News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I think Putin is largely explicable in his actions, if he feels what he regards as legitimate Russian security concerns are being challenged, then he pushes back and then a bit further to impose a 'cost' on those challenging his sphere of influence.

So with Georgia, the President there tried to rush an military annexation/re-occupation of South Ossetia, Putin reacts by trouncing the Georgian military, stomping around Georgia proper, then withdrawing, but recognizing independent Abhkazia and S.Ossetia.

In the Ukraine, for whatever reason the EU decided to attract or help the country move out of the Russia orbit, Putin's semi-client President is toppled, so he reacts by taking Crimea and a while later aiding or fomenting unrest in the East, so the Ukraine might ultimately end up the the NATO/EU orbit, but it will have some chunks missing, to his mind a cost has been imposed, never mind that there have been other economic and political damage done to Russia.

With the Baltic states, they're already firmly in the EU/NATO domain, there's nowhere else for them to go. I'd guess if there is some unrest/agitation from ethnic Russians, then the most Putin will go for/ or hope is for those people to be given full language and citizenship rights. If there were to be any armed insurrection, I don't see him putting arms across the border, I'd guess he'd try and milk the situation for political propaganda (mainly internal Russian) and perhaps demand a peace-keeping/observer force on the borders of the Baltics.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2014, 09:44:31 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2014, 09:32:04 AM
If he backs down on this one he'll destroy 70 years of American foreign policy. I don't think you really think it's comparable to what he said about Syria.

I'm not sure "70 years of foreign policy" weighs that much on his mind.  Anyway it was a throw-away comment.  I don't know if he's serious or not, but I just thought I'd make mention of him talking tough before.
:lol: If you don't think his legacy weighs down on him like a ton of lead, you're delusional. Backing down on this would have him thrown done into the James Buchanon level of terrible presidents by the judgement of history.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Rumours of a possible late night early morning attack on the port city of Mariupol tomorrow.

Alternatively there'll be a ceasefire with the rebels, which may be the outcome of talks in Minsk tonight. 

Elsewhere the Ukrainian army is in general retreat/tactical withdraw around Luhansk/Eastern Donetsk.

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

citizen k

America's best and brightest in Ukraine, from 2013:

Як сучасні військовослужбовці вчать англійську мову ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxXphqs1PrU&feature=youtu.be

citizen k

http://www.eur.army.mil/RapidTrident/

Rapid Trident is designed to promote regional stability and security, strengthen partnership capacity, and foster trust while improving interoperability between USAREUR, the land forces of Ukraine, and other PfP and NATO partner nations.

Razgovory

Sometimes I wish I voted for McCain. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2014, 11:32:59 PM

Smetimes I wish you'd voted for McCain too. :console:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2014, 11:32:59 PM

Remember, that came with the same number of years as "You betcha! Hopey changey!"

Don't think I'd have been able to tolerate that.  Biker Joe, yeah.  Even Darth Cheney growling at things and people.  But not that.

Eddie Teach

Other than snuggling with some biker chick, I have no clue what Biden's been up to the past 6 years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 04, 2014, 11:41:54 PM
Other than snuggling with some biker chick, I have no clue what Biden's been up to the past 6 years.
Swimming naked in the pool.

Tamas

Maripol is under attack while the cease fire negotiations are starting.

Martinus

Finally got around to reading Obama's Tallinn speech.

Gotta say, as much as I am cynical about politicians and promises, I couldn't help it - I got misty eyed.  :cry:

It hit all the right notes.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.