Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2021, 04:37:59 PM
Looks like the Russians are moving significant military assets towards the Ukraine, and this time they seem to be trying to be a little more discreet rather than making a show of it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-ukraine-military-buildup-1.6262035
And Ukrainian politics seems to be going through a little bit of chaos with fights between Zelensky's people and Poroshenko's - that's maybe a little bit of a norm but is probably part of the context.

As I say I don't think Putin necessarily wants to take over Ukraine or the Caucus or even Belarus, but I think he wants them as societies unable to make their own decisions who are weak and divided so they rely/can't really move away from Moscow. Of course every time he does moves like this it increases the desire among a lot of Ukrainian's to move away from Russia.

I think it's similar with the Baltics and Poland - he doesn't want to invade he just wants to isolate and weaken.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

My concern is that Putin moving on Ukraine may mean China moving on Taiwan.  If you're going to start one real war to settle a thorny long-term problem, you may as well coordinate with your buddy to start his own real war to settle his own thorny problem.  It would be hard for the West to face down either aggressor in isolation; facing them down together would seem like an impossibility.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2021, 08:44:12 PM
My concern is that Putin moving on Ukraine may mean China moving on Taiwan.  If you're going to start one real war to settle a thorny long-term problem, you may as well coordinate with your buddy to start his own real war to settle his own thorny problem.  It would be hard for the West to face down either aggressor in isolation; facing them down together would seem like an impossibility.

World War III: Radio-Active Superspree

mongers

No problem, US Navy deals with one, EU army deals with the other.

edit:
Oops, I see my error/typo.

Though looking on the bright side if this have been under Trump the US Navy would have been order to deal with the Ukraine situation and the EU/Nato left to save Taiwan.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

EU army would deal with Russia?  Them and what army?

Sheilbh

I'd add to that tens of thousands of migrants being used as objects by Putin/Lukashenko in Belarus and Serbia and Republika Srpska in Bosnia withdrawing from shared institutions setting up their own military etc (again no doubt with the green-light from Putin).

I think if you were trying to engineer a poly-crisis it would look a bit like this. The other side of this is that I don't think, based on Biden's comments, that he views Europe as a central area of American interests right now (that might shift if it affected a NATO country) - while he does view the Pacific in that way - and, at this point, the Europeans do not have a common or serious enough view on Ukrain, Belarus/Poland/Lithuania or the Balkans.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2021, 10:59:34 AM

Looked on a map of the former soviet union states, one of them Ironyistan has a pretty decent army.

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on November 27, 2021, 03:18:04 PM

Looked on a map of the former soviet union states, one of them Ironyistan has a pretty decent army.

I hear it always rains during weddings in Ironyistan.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2021, 06:20:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 27, 2021, 03:18:04 PM

I hear it always rains during weddings in Ironyistan.

:D

Tamas

Aren't we ignoring another possibility? That the US has made a backroom deal, green-lighting some limited Russian victory like annexing eastern Ukraine. The fact that opposition over the northern gas pipe has stopped would point toward this.

It also would be very very far from being the first example of the West talking the talk but secretly promising not to walk the walk when it comes to defending Eastern Europe.

HVC

Why is it the us making a deal and not European countries. It's in your backyard, not theirs.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on November 27, 2021, 07:20:44 PM
Aren't we ignoring another possibility? That the US has made a backroom deal, green-lighting some limited Russian victory like annexing eastern Ukraine. The fact that opposition over the northern gas pipe has stopped would point toward this.

It also would be very very far from being the first example of the West talking the talk but secretly promising not to walk the walk when it comes to defending Eastern Europe.

What does the US care about the Northern gas pipeline?

Not a rhetorical question, by the way. I have no idea to what extent the US does or does not care about it.

Tamas

IIRC one of the big ways the US hit back for the 2014 Crimea thing was making it illegal for US businesses to work on it, causing significant delays to it. I think this is now gone, although I can be wrong.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on November 27, 2021, 07:41:25 PM
Why is it the us making a deal and not European countries. It's in your backyard, not theirs.

If the US refuses (in private) to help, what does it matter what Europeans want to do?